Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9134
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: What are the Advantages of PM over VNX2?" Previous topic | Next topic
gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Wed 08-Aug-12 09:20 PM
3671 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: What are the Advantages of PM over VNX2?"
In response to In response to 0

Farmington Hills, US

For me there are 2 big advantages of PM compared to VNX2.

• PM is much more flexible for importing images than VNX2. Files can be renamed based on meta data in the image. Folders can be created based on the meta data too. I typically use the capture date of the image as part of the folder and image name when importing. When doing some brick wall lens comparison I had PM name the file based on the lens and aperture used.

• Whenever I want a JPG for computer use or a small print (4x6 in), I just use PM to extract it from the embedded JPG in the NEF file. I don't have to go to an editor to resize and save the image. If I previously edited the file with CNX2, the embedded JPG reflects the results of the last saved edit. I believe VNX2 is limited to simple editing of the original image and will not create JPGs from images edited with CNX2. If I want to crop the image for presentation, I can do it in PM while extracting. Now with PM 5 I can even rotate the crop to correct lines to vertical or horizontal. I can watermark the image while extracting too, and the watermark can be based on the metadata as well.

As other have said PM is fast, and very convenient for rating images and flagging them for post processing.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicWhat are the Advantages of PM over VNX2? [View all] , JerryLoSardo Gold Member, Wed 08-Aug-12 12:32 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: What are the Advantages of PM over VNX2?
JonK Moderator
08th Aug 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
08th Aug 2012
mklass Platinum Member
08th Aug 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
08th Aug 2012
PAStime Silver Member
08th Aug 2012
gpoole Platinum Member
08th Aug 2012
Lighter Silver Member
10th Aug 2012

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9134 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.