Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9083
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Fork in the Road" Previous topic | Next topic
JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sat 18-Aug-12 12:15 AM
4428 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Fork in the Road"
In response to In response to 0

New York, US

This is a very interesting and enlightening discussion! I'll stay out of the catalog debate — my meager library is around 8200 images, and many shoots were specific, standalone events so the manual folder system still works well. General landscape, cityscape, and wildlife images w=are (I think) reasonably well key worded, so I can generally find what I want.

Four four years I used a PM/CNX2 workflow, augmented with Nik filters and with Photoshop lurking int he background. Last year I decided (with help from an Image Doctor!) that Lightroom had caught and surpassed CNX2, so I made the jump.

And I'm quite happy that I did. Lightroom is almost all of what I need; I'm still using Nik (more than ever); I use Photoshop less. (Full disclosure: my day job is graphics and print production and I use most of Adobe's apps. Adding LR was the easy choice. Also, Adobe will be the last company standing…)

But here's the irony. I can't kick the PM habit. I still use it for initial screening (kill the baddies), key wording, and for some clients immediate export of JPGs. PM is just so easy but so powerful, and so fast. I just love it, and maybe down the road I'll try their (future) catalog.

My issue is backup. At work, i'm used to a fast wired hookup to the (RAID) server. At home, I'm entirely wireless and, not happy ingesting and developing a few hundred images after a shoot, I work locally and manually copy to multiple backup drives. I'm also still searching for backup drives/software/etc. that will reliably work on a wireless Mac system.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

This is a hot, active topic!Fork in the Road [View all] , dohearne Silver Member, Wed 01-Aug-12 11:15 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Fork in the Road
macfish
02nd Aug 2012
ericbowles Moderator
03rd Aug 2012
dohearne Silver Member
05th Aug 2012
ericbowles Moderator
05th Aug 2012
dohearne Silver Member
07th Aug 2012
jacsr Silver Member
06th Aug 2012
dohearne Silver Member
07th Aug 2012
nrothschild Silver Member
16th Aug 2012
ericbowles Moderator
16th Aug 2012
nrothschild Silver Member
16th Aug 2012
PAStime Silver Member
19th Aug 2012
dohearne Silver Member
19th Aug 2012
PAStime Silver Member
19th Aug 2012
robsb Platinum Member
21st Aug 2012
JonK Moderator
21st Aug 2012
PAStime Silver Member
21st Aug 2012
dohearne Silver Member
17th Aug 2012
JonK Moderator
18th Aug 2012
dohearne Silver Member
19th Aug 2012
JonK Moderator
19th Aug 2012
cliddell Silver Member
20th Aug 2012
pencho
21st Aug 2012

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9083 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.