Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9055
View in linear mode

Subject: "Saving Different Raw Versions in NX2" Previous topic | Next topic
ornate_wrasse Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Feb 2006Fri 27-Jul-12 12:04 AM
378 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Saving Different Raw Versions in NX2"
Fri 27-Jul-12 12:59 AM by ornate_wrasse

Portland, US

I have been using Capture NX for a long time but have a question on a situation that hasn't come up before.

Typically, my workflow edits the NEF file and, after all the changes (like white balance, saturation, exposure and sharpening) are made, I save the image as a JPG and use the saved JPG for posting to forums or emailing to friends or, in this case, sharing with a class I took. In other words, I almost never save the file as a version of an NEF file.

The instructor and class loved the JPG image that I brought to class on a thumb drive, heaping tons of praise on the image.

Now it's a week later and I want to have the image blown up to a large size (16x20 or 11x14). The printer I use (I don't print my own images) wants either a NEF or TIFF file and definitely not a low res JPG file. Since I only saved the post processed image as a low resolution JPG, I'm stuck having to again edit the NEF file and save it. I can't remember each and every change I made to the NEF file and I don't think the edit steps were saved in NX2 when I made the JPG.

I'm wondering how other folks save their NEF images when making changes in NX2 that they would usually just save as a JPG.

It seems that I should know how to do this, but in my workflow, this situation just hasn't come up before, so that's why I'm asking others how they do this.

I hope I've made myself clear.

In any event, thanks for your help.

Ellen
http://www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse/galleries

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicSaving Different Raw Versions in NX2 [View all] , ornate_wrasse Gold Member, Fri 27-Jul-12 12:04 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Saving Different Raw Versions in NX2
mklass Platinum Member
27th Jul 2012
ornate_wrasse Gold Member
27th Jul 2012
davidd1833 Silver Member
27th Jul 2012
mklass Platinum Member
27th Jul 2012
ericbowles Moderator
27th Jul 2012
27th Jul 2012
mklass Platinum Member
27th Jul 2012
28th Jul 2012
kennoll Gold Member
28th Jul 2012
expat Silver Member
28th Jul 2012
robsb Platinum Member
30th Jul 2012

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9055 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.