nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Capture NX 2.3 released by Nikon - a fair amount of cha...

KolinP

Weston-super-Mare, UK
248 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Capture NX 2.3 released by Nikon - a fair amount of changes"

KolinP Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 13th May 2006
Thu 05-Jan-12 06:27 AM

Hi Eric,

>An easy way to see what is running <....>

Thanks for this reminder of how Capture NX2 appears in our familiar Task Manager ... sometimes!

I'm going to sound awfully pedantic now, and I sincerely intend no disrespect to you in my following blurb ...

But my ol' tech-support instincts still drive me to give "universally unambiguous" answers, or else (in my case) to offer no answer at all - otherwise (in my humble experience) the well-intended but incomplete answer can back-fire and create even more confusion if it's applied (and Murphy's Law ensures it darn well will be applied) to a context that wasn't explicitly embraced in that not-quite perfect answer!! (Blame my 4 years as a one-time technical author!)

So, because I led us into this area of "running processes" and techie-tools, I feel duty bound to add a note or two extra to your reply, and I hope you'll forgive my cheek for doing so?!?!

>Open Capture NX2 <....> Then open Task Manager <....> Select the Processes tab under Task Manager and you will see <....> Capture NX2 *32 means you are running the 32 bit version of Capture NX2.

Yes, this is true ... provided that -

a. your installed copy of Capture NX2 is the 32-bit version, and
b. your version of Windows is the 64-bit version

otherwise (and I'm very keen to be corrected if I'm wrong) if b. is not true (meaning that if your Windows is the 32-bit Windows) then Task Manager's Processes will show just "Capture NX 2", without the '*32' qualifier.

And, on behalf of any reader who (quite reasonably) doesn't know whether their Windows is the 32-bit Windows or the 64-bit Windows, and who similarly need NOT be expected to know in advance that Nikon could not feasibly have installed the 64-bit version of capture NX2 on their 32-bit machines ... we can add the following -

c. If our Windows is the 32-bit version of Windows, then we can only have had the 32-bit version of capture NX2 installed on our machine. (I'm sure this isn't obvious to everyone.)

and finally

d. when we look at our Task Manager | Processes list on our 32-bit Windows, we will again see just "Capture NX 2", without the '*32' qualifier.

and I include that last point d. to explain that whenever we do see just "Capture NX 2" alone, then the absence of that '*32' qualifier will not be a clue to the "bit-length" (32-bit or 64-bit) of our Windows version!

Sorry! I know! This is a long way from shutter speeds and ISOs ... and I promise to think twice in future before yielding to my irrepressible, mildly utopian yet proudly-touted techie-perfectionist instincts

Yours pedantically, Colin P.

--
A doorway to my other photo sites

This is a hot, active topic! Capture NX 2.3 released by Nikon - a fair amount of cha... [View all] , PAStime Silver Member, Tue 20-Dec-11 01:07 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Capture NX 2.3 released by Nikon - a fair amount of...
Reply message RE: Capture NX 2.3 and Color Efex Pro 3.0
     Reply message I'm confused! toggling 32 and 64 bit