Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Astrophotography topic #812
View in linear mode

Subject: "Night Sky of the Cocos (Keeling) Islands" Previous topic | Next topic
Marjani Moderator expert in ocean scapes and underwater photography Charter MemberThu 16-May-13 03:46 AM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Night Sky of the Cocos (Keeling) Islands"

Cocos (Keeling) Islands, AU

Last night was the first in many a month where I had the chance to head north to our old jetty and attempt to capture the milky way. I've had this shot in mind for ages... the lights from our new jetty with the stars above.

Although I've been reading on "how to capture the night sky" - there seems to be a mixed opinion of settings. So armed with my brain overflowing with numbers I chose these settings for no particular reason:

D700 | 14-24 @ 14mm | F2.8 | ISO 2500 | 25sec | nr on

In lightroom I reduced the highlights and increased the whites a tad - WB 3084

I focussed on the jetty lights some 3kms away - not sure if that was the right way. The green halo above the trees is our "town" - light pollution bouncing off the clouds. The little shed to the right was light by a small solar LED light to mark the pathway on the old jetty.

I'd welcome any cc or suggestion on perhaps a better capture?

Best Fishes ~ Karen <*((---{

Waving the flag for Nikonians on the Cocos (Keeling) Islands and learning every day.

Karens Cocos Reflections gallery

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Night Sky of the Cocos (Keeling) Islands
RABaker
16th May 2013
misunda Silver Member
16th May 2013
Marjani Moderator
16th May 2013
misunda Silver Member
16th May 2013
Marjani Moderator
16th May 2013
gvk Silver Member
16th May 2013
Marjani Moderator
16th May 2013
nrothschild Silver Member
16th May 2013
Marjani Moderator
17th May 2013
17th May 2013
17th May 2013
Marjani Moderator
18th May 2013
18th May 2013
          Reply message )
19th May 2013
               Reply message RE: )
Marjani Moderator
19th May 2013
19th May 2013
Marjani Moderator
20th May 2013
Marjani Moderator
18th May 2013
17th May 2013
Marjani Moderator
18th May 2013
18th May 2013
18th May 2013
Hawk Eyes
17th May 2013
Marjani Moderator
18th May 2013
lastdaylight Gold Member
18th May 2013
Marjani Moderator
18th May 2013
Matto Silver Member
30th May 2013

RABaker Registered since 01st Oct 2003Thu 16-May-13 06:22 AM
731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Night Sky of the Cocos (Keeling) Islands"
In response to Reply # 0

Sunnyvale, US

VERY nice shot. I love all the different elements included in the image. Well done.

Thanks for sharing,
Richard

misunda Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Thu 16-May-13 06:59 AM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Night Sky of the Cocos (Keeling) Islands"
In response to Reply # 1

Booval, AU

Very nice shot indeed, I have fond memories of Cocos ,I used to fly into there on occasions when on Royal Australian Air Force C130 e Hercules. Many a good night at the old Boozer back in the late 80's and into the 90's. but ,back to the image ,I like it a lot ,the little hut all lit up,the glow of the town lights ,be proud a great capture all round ,I think you did a great job, looking forward to seeing many more lovely shots . Regards Paul, Brisbane,Australia.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Marjani Moderator expert in ocean scapes and underwater photography Charter MemberThu 16-May-13 07:22 AM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Night Sky of the Cocos (Keeling) Islands"
In response to Reply # 2

Hi Paul, greetings from the sandbar!! I wonder if you met my husband, Dieter Gerhard, who was working at the Quarantine station. He's been on Cocos since late 1989 until present The Cocos Club still Rocks!!!

Thanks so much for your comment. I hope to post more Astro shots and post here. I do post in landscape and underwater forum.

Cheers -

Waving the flag for Nikonians on the Cocos (Keeling) Islands and learning every day.

misunda Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Thu 16-May-13 07:42 AM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Night Sky of the Cocos (Keeling) Islands"
In response to Reply # 4

Booval, AU

Karen, I am sorry I don't recall him ,but I would say without a doubt, I would most likely remember him by sight. I have trouble remembering my own name these days Wish you all the best , happy photo taking .

I am using a D600 very happy with it . Upgraded from a D200.
Have a coldie in the Club for me ok .

Regards Paul

Marjani Moderator expert in ocean scapes and underwater photography Charter MemberThu 16-May-13 07:17 AM
#3. "RE: Night Sky of the Cocos (Keeling) Islands"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks Richard for commenting - lovely and positive Really appreciate your time. Hope to post a few more (clouds permitting).

gvk Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2006Thu 16-May-13 12:10 PM
242 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Night Sky of the Cocos (Keeling) Islands"
In response to Reply # 0

Mystic, US

Beautiful photo!

Composition, exposure, and balance of the foreground light with the night sky, are all very well done. Excellent use of a wonderful dark sky!

Gerry

Marjani Moderator expert in ocean scapes and underwater photography Charter MemberThu 16-May-13 01:16 PM
#7. "RE: Night Sky of the Cocos (Keeling) Islands"
In response to Reply # 6

Gerry, thank you so much for such a positive comment. Renewed confidence on giving this another go

Best "fishes"

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Thu 16-May-13 10:05 PM
10834 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Night Sky of the Cocos (Keeling) Islands"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Wow, Marjani, that is a great image!

You may claim to be muddled by all the numbers, but you executed this with the precision of a slide rule

Some comments:

1. 14mm focal length. For a shot like this, the wider the better, simply because wide lenses reduce the motion of the stars. It also minimizes or eliminates the DOF problem you mention. Perfect.

2. f/2.8. Perfect, and I am impressed with the star images, to the extent I can tell from a web size image. Most lenses do not do well when recording stars wide open.

3. ISO 2500. You pushed it as far as I presume you were comformable going, considering that the various very dark tones will bring out the worst in any noise. And there are problems pushing NR on star fields because there is no difference between a star and a noisy pixel. That's just about what I would do on my D700 for an image like this.

4. Shutter speed 25s. I'm not sure what "the right" or "the best" shutter speed is, considering motion blur issues, but you certainly got your fair share of the Milky Way so we will call that a good choice.

Personally I generally shoot for about 3 pixels of blur - if I can get away with only that - for an image like this. So this is just right, based on what I do.

5. Focus - that is an interesting problem and with a longer lens it can be a very serious problem...

At 14mm, f/2.8, on FX, at a 50 foot focus distance the tables say you are in focus from 7.76 feet to infinity. So everything is in focus per the DOF tables.

And amazingly, at a 10,000 foot focus distance (roughly 3km) the tables suggest 9 feet to infinity, so as long as you didn't focus ridiculously close you would get everything in focus no matter where you focused! Supposedly. That might be at odds with all the people talking about focus fine tuning on ultra-wides. But that is what the tables say.

Some might argue that the DOF tables are too broad, being intended for 8x10 print size. I would argue that in this case, even if you obsess over that, you end up with 3 pixels of star motion blur anyway.

I would err on the long side for focus here myself. If the stars are not absolutely pin sharp then the image cannot work. The foreground here is not quite that critical.

Now, how I got that 3 pixels of blur - this is the math you had some trouble with in the other post.

Your D700 will get precisely 0.87 pixel of blur in a 1 second exposure when using 100mm focal length. That is the number indicated in the chart in the Celestial Motion post. For discussion, and field planning, round that off to 1 pixel of blur. I use 1 pixel in the field, where I might have to do the math in my head. I don't write the exact number on my palm, in ink, before these shoots .

At 14mm, you will get 14/100 or 0.12 pixels of blur per second (using the precise motion number). So roughly, for each 8 seconds of exposure you will get 1 pixel of blur. For a 25s exposure you get roughly 3 pixels of blur.

If you zoom in to your image and look at some relatively dim stars, they should form a line in the direction the stars move, roughly 3 pixels wide. Very dim stars may show less. Brighter stars are more difficult to measure because they tend to be bloated by overexposure.

In an 8x10 print or a web image, that small 3 pixel trail will not usually be noticed.

If you wanted to print a 40x60 without trails, then you have an impossible job - if you insist on doing it in one exposure. If you track the motion of the stars, you get 3 pixels of blur in the terrestrial side of the image.

It is my belief that many of the most dramatic Milky Way images I've seen, including terrestrial scenes, were at a minimum shot with two exposures and overlaid. The stars are shot on a tracking mount, and the tracking motor is stopped for the terrestrial scene.

That assuming 2 totally different images, perhaps shot on different evenings, or the Milky Way shot at a different date/time at much higher altitude, were not used. Once you start down that slope it is slippery indeed .

I am suggesting that the right exposure is a compromise of acceptable noise (ISO setting), amount of depth you want in the night sky, and the amount of trailing you will accept. I think those are personal choices, which is why you may have run across differing opinions on that mix?

You have further issues with the bright foreground lights limiting the depth of exposure anyway, which is why I think you did the right exposure.

From all the above, you might conclude that that 14mm focal length was a very good choice . It makes a lot of problems go away. If you tried to do that at 100-200mm it would be a different and difficult discussion because likely something is not going to be in focus.

In my 26 hour new moon landscape posted here (at the bottom of the opening post) I shot it at 165mm FX because I needed a reasonable size moon.

I new something would be a bit soft. I shot at f/4 and ISO 800. It could be argued that I should have raised the ISO but as it was I got a fair amount of noise and I think that dusk sunset is tough on noise, even with a good FX camera. To further that argument, the scene is a very good candidate for noise reduction (unlike your scene).

I focused on the gazebo. My reasoning:

1. If the gazebo and pier were soft, it would ruin the image. I've been there and done that mistake.

2. In the sky I only had Venus and the moon to worry about. That overall dusk sky does not usually need to be critically sharp.

(I have hurt these types of shots when there are very sharply outlined clouds and I had to put infinity well out of DOF so no absolutes there, but this sky I knew would not be a big problem at the focus distance I chose)

I knew Venus would just be a slightly trailed spot. If it were ever so slightly out of focus it would actually help the image by making it more distinct.

I knew that the moon, that close to the horizon, would be soft regardless, due to air turbulence and murk. That is a fact of life. You will never get razor sharp detail on any moon that close to the horizon, and this was just a crescent.

(If that were a full moon, rising on a very clear night, and well up in the image, my decision might not have been right or would have been more impossible to execute in some best way. In that case you almost have to study DOF tables and then find a scene that fits- not an easy task)

Had I focused at or near infinity, then I would run the risk that nothing in the image would be sharp. The gazebo out of the DOF, Venus trailed, and the moon deep in the murk at the horizon .

That is just the thought process I went through on that particular scene. It was very specific to that instant in time and in retrospect I was happy with my decision.

my Nikonians gallery.

Marjani Moderator expert in ocean scapes and underwater photography Charter MemberFri 17-May-13 02:34 PM
#9. "RE: Night Sky of the Cocos (Keeling) Islands"
In response to Reply # 8

Hi Neil, greetings from the sandbar

I've read, re-read; and re-read again your comments. Firstly thank you so, so much for the really positive compliments; albeit a fluke on my part!!! The math part really does bamboozle me, however I think I do understand the gist of the concept; aim for 3pixel or less movement and I should have a reasonable image!

The scene I shot has been playing on my mind for ages. I could visualise it and so wanted to achieve it; the other night gave me reasonably good conditions - even the little cloud over the settlement I think worked in my favour I still have issues with the 14-24mm distortion (the hut not being entirely "square"),,,, my post-processing skills still need a lot of work.

I'm hoping for a clearer sky tonight; this time I want to capture our meteorological building with the milky way. I will have to contend with a little more light pollution, but not that much... fingers crossed

Once again, Neil, thanks so much for such a detailed response. Your encouragement has given me the drive to shoot more stars. Not sure if you can pick it out, but I can clearly see our Southern Cross constellation - bonus!!!

Best fishes -

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Fri 17-May-13 04:30 PM
10834 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Night Sky of the Cocos (Keeling) Islands"
In response to Reply # 9
Fri 17-May-13 04:38 PM by nrothschild

US

Hi Marjani,

Somehow I don't think it was a fluke . You have a good sense for this.

You even got the clouds to part in order to include the Milky Way down to the treetops!

Don't take my 3 pixels as a concrete rule. You might want to try bracketing your shutter speed, starting at 3s and working slower, in 1/3 stop increments. Leave everything else as is and you will slowly increase exposure, of course, if the lit areas can stand it. Then you can see in the images how much blur you want. Your pick likely won't be off by more than a stop, though.

I previously prepared a map of your scene and noticed Crux in there. But to save my life I could not find it . The sheer number of stars is confusing. Should be about center or slightly right of center, and about 2/3 of the way up from the horizon. Surely easier naked eye.

In addition to capturing this section of the Milky Way in different places, you can image different sections of the Milky Way at different times of the year.

Here is a SkyMap Pro sky map of your scene, including Crux and some other constellations.

The rectangle is an approximation of your frame. The white arc is the plane of our galaxy. That coincides with the intense Milky Way band since our galaxy is a flat "pancake" of sorts (actually a pinwheel) and we are looking through the plane where the stars are densest.

The upper left hand corner of your frame probably includes a tiny bit of the tail of Scorpio. To the left of that is Sagittarius. The dense center of the Milky Way is located in Sagittarius.

This next map is the sky on Sept 15, at exactly the same time of night (11:10pm). Because the south celestial pole is located in the lower left of your image, the entire sky rotates clockwise around that point.

That has the effect here of swinging the Milky Way "over" such that in September it will transverse the frame from lower left to upper right, opposite of your scene. Between now and then I believe the Milky Way will rise straight up, but I too like the diagonal for composition reasons.

Sagittarius is now about dead center, and about half way up in the sky. Within that region will be the "Great Rift", which in the Northern Hemisphere is the classic Milky way shot. I believe that is also true for the Southern Hemisphere (??).

In order to frame it as shown you will have to pan the image slightly to the right (westward), by about 20-25 degrees. Hopefully you can work out any composition issues.

I don't know the southern skies well. What you show in your image is a view of the Milky Way we never see in the Northern Hemisphere mid-latitudes. The Great Rift and surrounding area may or may not exceed what you have here now but it is certainly worth a try and a very exciting and different part of the Milky Way.

You can shoot the same scene earlier than Sept 15. For each month earlier, add two hours to the clock, so on Aug 15 you would have this scene at 1am, and on July 15 at 3am. For each month later, subtract 2 hours. On Oct 15 you would have it at 9pm.

Just an idea for future shots .

my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #2, (jpg file)

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Fri 17-May-13 05:42 PM
#11. "RE: Night Sky of the Cocos (Keeling) Islands"
In response to Reply # 9
Sat 18-May-13 02:50 AM by nrothschild

US

OK, please forgive me for re-posting your image, but this turned into a test of my manhood . Let's see if I got that right

(edit: added location of Omega Centauri)

my Nikonians gallery.

Marjani Moderator expert in ocean scapes and underwater photography Charter MemberSat 18-May-13 01:14 AM
#14. "RE: Night Sky of the Cocos (Keeling) Islands"
In response to Reply # 11

BINGO!!! You picked our Southern Cross!!! The two pointer stars are to the left and just below the top of your circle, about the same width as the top part of the circle (if that makes sense?)

I really don't know the constellations on sight. I usually recognise Scorpio.... and Orion's Belt - apart from that, sadly... I fail astronomy

This is an earlier image and I'm sure Scorpio is visible in the upper left corner?

ISO 640 | 14mm | 25s | 2.8 I've increased the exposure in Lightroom to +1.20

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Sat 18-May-13 03:58 AM
#21. "RE: Night Sky of the Cocos (Keeling) Islands"
In response to Reply # 14

US

Yes, the bottom tail of Scorpio is upper left, and I think Sagittarius is hanging off the left side.

This image brings part of the Great Rift into the scene. Looking at my charts, I think you could shoot a two frame pano, with the second frame to the left of this, and pick up everything you have, plus at least a good deal of the Great Rift. It would be all that is visible to the horizon on the left.

You could actually do the entire visible half of the Milky Way, horizon to horizon, visible at 10:47pm on the 15th, in 3 frames. It spans 180° but your lens spans 101°.

It would be an amazing image!

By the time you get done with my projects, you won't have time to dive . Well, no night diving

my Nikonians gallery.

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Sun 19-May-13 11:07 AM
#23. ")"
In response to Reply # 21
Sun 19-May-13 11:17 AM by nrothschild

US

Hi Karen,

I ran across this image yesterday...

smithsonianscience.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/theft.jpg

On the pages of the Smithsonian Magazine. It was taken at 2500m at the European Southern Observatory (ESO) in La Silla, Chile. It is part of this article, which is a very interesting discussion of the features in the image.

The La Silla site is located at 29S latitude, where you are at 12S. Your view of the Milky Way is a bit different. Due to the 17° difference in latitude, you likely can not quite replicate that general night sky view, but you can do some similar scenes.

(note: this sky scene could be replicated from Australia, at a similar latitude)

It is surely a stitched panorama, and is very similar to the pano shot I suggested above.

On the left side, you see two "fuzzy patches". The lower patch is the Large Megellanic Cloud (LMC), and the upper patch the Small Megellanic Cloud (SMC). These are very nearby galaxies. The LMC is magnitude zero, which is quite bright. I believe it is the brightest "deep sky object" in the skies.

The LMC, on the wide end, is up to 18 times the width of the moon (larger than Crux!). It is "huge", and bright, and therefore a great candidate for fixed tripod shooting at short focal lengths. Same, only slightly less so, for the SMC.

I've been thinking about suggesting how you could shoot the LMC and SMC and was rummaging through the internet looking for images when I ran across this one.

This image would have to be taken sometime around December-January. We will talk about this later in the year .

my Nikonians gallery.

Marjani Moderator expert in ocean scapes and underwater photography Charter MemberSun 19-May-13 03:03 PM
#24. "RE: )"
In response to Reply # 23

Looks like I have a few projects to do!!! The last few nights have been very cloudy - tonight is drizzly.. so from what you have suggested we'll try in a week or so when the moon doesn't play too much influence to the night sky.

Where I was shooting from the jetty; I'm hoping won't be a problem with lights. There are 3 LED lights on the jetty and one shipping marker light on the end of the jetty that flashes at various intervals. However to get some interesting foreground I really need to be there. My other alternative is head south and just have ocean and no lights to do a left to right pano just to capture the night sky.

Just remind me in January.... I'll be on the Aussie mainland until late December - Might be able to head out into the country whilst I'm there though and give it a go! I have plugged it into my iphone as a reminder!

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Sun 19-May-13 05:38 PM
#25. "RE: )"
In response to Reply # 24
Sun 19-May-13 05:39 PM by nrothschild

US

I would normally suggest you find some other place to shoot. But I googled a map of your island(s). You really do live on a sandbar

I have no doubt you will figure something out, even if, as you say, you need to do a basic sky with little terrestrial scene.

When you are in Australia you are further south in latitude, as you know. That has the effect of "lifting" the South Celestial Pole, higher in the sky, a degree for each degree of latitude. That can have a very good result in some of these images, and why I mentioned the latitude of the La Salle ESO image. Just something to consider when you are budgeting time on the mainland.

Is it true that the highest point on your island has a altitude of 16 feet? Around here that would require an evac once a year or so due to storm surge.

I'm envisioning the entire population of Cocos all trying to share the top of the one palm tree at that lofty 16 foot altitude

I don't think a developed island like that would survive here very long, with the Nor'easters and Hurricanes we get fairly regularly.

my Nikonians gallery.

Marjani Moderator expert in ocean scapes and underwater photography Charter MemberMon 20-May-13 12:51 AM
#26. "RE: )"
In response to Reply # 25

Thanks Neil for the extra information.

Regarding Cocos. We live on West Island which is only 10 feet above sea level. Thankfully since living here I haven't been subjected to storm surge - hope I don't. The population on West Island is 120 people, half of which are children. On Home Island the Malay population is around 500. They are actually lower than us!!!

Recently (we missed this event) Cocos had over 850mm in two days... Home Island was flooded and so was most of West Island, except for town. Cyclones... well, we tend to make them and send them to the Aussie mainland... but we have had them and I reckon the big one will come soon.

Back to Stars. I reckon the bottom end of West Island will be ideal. So I'll head there on the first clear night and see what I can capture.

Thanks again for all your assistance, praise and encouragement.

Marjani Moderator expert in ocean scapes and underwater photography Charter MemberSat 18-May-13 03:25 AM
#20. "RE: Night Sky of the Cocos (Keeling) Islands"
In response to Reply # 11

Hahaha. Thanks so much. .Now I have NO excuse but to find it!!

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Fri 17-May-13 08:02 PM
#12. "RE: Night Sky of the Cocos (Keeling) Islands"
In response to Reply # 9
Fri 17-May-13 08:26 PM by nrothschild

US

Hi Marjani,

Me again

I have an interesting project for you. Rather than complicate this thread, I decided to make it a general challenge for all Southern Hemisphere members.

The idea is to shoot Crux and then Omega Centauri. Details here.

If you like the idea, please post your images to that thread.

my Nikonians gallery.

Marjani Moderator expert in ocean scapes and underwater photography Charter MemberSat 18-May-13 02:14 AM
#16. "RE: Night Sky of the Cocos (Keeling) Islands"
In response to Reply # 12

Sounds great! I'll give it a go. Obviously for me Crux is very easy to find Omega Centauri - well... I'll follow your directions. I do have a couple of iPhone apps of the night sky but still haven't quite fathomed them out

Now.. fingers crossed for a clear sky this evening and stand by for images

Cheers - Karen

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Sat 18-May-13 02:42 AM
#17. "RE: Night Sky of the Cocos (Keeling) Islands"
In response to Reply # 16

US

The first quarter moon will be a problem, but you can do some preliminary work, and start the hunt for Centaurus, and then Omega. I did not consider the moon when I posted the challenge. It may put it back a couple of weeks, until a few days before third quarter, maybe starting May 28 or so.

my Nikonians gallery.

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Sat 18-May-13 03:01 AM
#18. "RE: Night Sky of the Cocos (Keeling) Islands"
In response to Reply # 16

US

I edited reply #11, uploading a newly annotated copy of your image.

The two pointer stars to Crux are Alpha and Beta Centauri, the brightest stars in Centauri.

I circled 5 stars that form a rough pentagon asterism. You should be able to match that, and the pointers, to my chart above. My circled stars may not be precisely right but I think they are close enough for this. Visually the 5 stars should stick out. Two of those stars are "visual doubles" that you can probably split with your naked eyes, and certainly in bins. Don't let that confuse you.

In the middle of that pentagon is Omega Centauri, roughly where I put "Om". In binoculars, and probably naked eye on a clear dark moonless night, it should appear as a very fuzzy star, or possibly a round fuzzy patch approaching the size of the moon.

Good luck .

my Nikonians gallery.

Hawk Eyes Registered since 09th Jun 2012Fri 17-May-13 08:33 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Night Sky of the Cocos (Keeling) Islands"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Great shot , I like how the palm trees are Illuminated with the milky way bright up above

Marjani Moderator expert in ocean scapes and underwater photography Charter MemberSat 18-May-13 03:23 AM
#19. "RE: Night Sky of the Cocos (Keeling) Islands"
In response to Reply # 13

Thank you so much It was a fun project for the night

lastdaylight Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Sat 18-May-13 01:19 AM
796 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Night Sky of the Cocos (Keeling) Islands"
In response to Reply # 0

Dallas, US

Great job, Karen. Excellent Milky Way capture. Anyone who had tried it can attest it's not as easy as you made it look!

Mark Smith
Just like I previsualized it, more or less...

My Nikonians Gallery

My Website, www.lastdaylight.com

Marjani Moderator expert in ocean scapes and underwater photography Charter MemberSat 18-May-13 05:13 AM
#22. "RE: Night Sky of the Cocos (Keeling) Islands"
In response to Reply # 15

Thanks Mark, When we have cloudless nights this is what we see. Truly amazing!

Matto Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007Thu 30-May-13 03:49 PM
594 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Night Sky of the Cocos (Keeling) Islands"
In response to Reply # 0

Glenwood, US

Karen
A really nice picture, the foreground adds a sense of dimension to the sky. The Milky Way is an amazing sight when there is no distracting sky glow, which is the case where I live. I am surprised that the sky is so clear on your island, I would have thought that there would be some impact from the humidity from being at sea level in the middle of the ocean. My best views of the Milky Way were on trips out to the arid American Southwest.

Matthew

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Astrophotography topic #812 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.