nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
SirPuttsAlot

Poughquag, US
333 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
SirPuttsAlot Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Sep 2011
Mon 10-Dec-12 10:53 AM

On of the ways I convinced myself that the D800 was a good purchase was that I can travel with only a single device and capture both fantastic video and still images. Mind you, this is not for professional use, this is vacations with the family, etc. I'm finally getting around to producing some quality video, but I will admit, it's a real pain in the butt with a super steep learning curve. Everything that makes it a great camera for photo's makes terrible for just capturing video's of family events (DOF for example) And there lies the problem.

My wife is getting very frustrated with the D800 and hates almost everything about it. Size, weight, complexity, and a lack of VR in my primary lens (24-70) so all her video is shaky as can be. And unless I completely set the camera up for her prior to the shot, she has produced maybe 5 pictures that are properly exposed and in focus since I got it. That said, she also has no interest in learning how to use it, she just wants it to work

With all the major sales going on right now, I was thinking about grabbing a Nikon V1 and 10-30mm package for her as it will also fulfill both her complaints but primarily she wants the video first, photo's a distant second.

I'm a bit uncertain about purchasing another camcorder b/c even into the $1000 range (I had a Canon VIXIA HFS200 which I sold to buy the D800) low light performance was rather poor and the lenses were just not wide enough for indoors (43.5-435mm). That, and being a Mac user, AVCHD is a pain to work with unless I purchase FCP X.

Has Nikon developed the video capabilities in the V1 to the point where they start getting close to camcorder ease and with better low light capabilities due to the considerably larger sensor (1/2.6" vs 1")? How well does the autofocus work in video? Has anyone replaced their camcorder with a V1 and been happy with the results?

One thing to consider, we have only once, in almost 3 years of ownership of the Canon, recorded something longer than 10 mins. Everything seems to be quick 1-2m (or less) video snaps.

Thanks,
Ray

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon V1 or Camcorder?

G