Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5394
View in linear mode

Subject: "Question on Picture" Previous topic | Next topic
rtg Registered since 27th Dec 2010Sun 30-Jan-11 07:50 PM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Question on Picture"

US

Attached is a photo of an action figure I recently took.

I am reasonably happy with the detail accept for the end of the gun the figure is holding. It appears out of focus. Could this be a depth of field issue? If not where else should I look?

TIA,

Rob

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

If you are into boating checkout: www.SilvertonForums.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Question on Picture
dm1dave Administrator
30th Jan 2011
rtg
02nd Feb 2011
rtg
02nd Feb 2011
dm1dave Administrator
03rd Feb 2011
rtg
03rd Feb 2011
aolander Silver Member
04th Feb 2011
rtg
04th Feb 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
06th Feb 2011
rtg
07th Feb 2011

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 30-Jan-11 09:10 PM
11303 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Question on Picture"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 30-Jan-11 09:10 PM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

It looks like a Depth of Field issue to me.

Guessing that you were focusing quite close the DoF at f/4.5 was not enough to get everything sharp. DoF can be tricky in close up work.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

rtg Registered since 27th Dec 2010Wed 02-Feb-11 01:48 AM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Question on Picture"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Here is a second attempt with the same subject in a different pose. However, this time a flash was used, higher ISO, higher f stop, more noise, and additional PP. I found the key to keep the image sharp was to focus on the closest point of the subject. Again it was the tip of the gun. The previous picture's focus point was behind the tip of the gun. I am sure this is a rookie move....

Comments welcome. Still learning.....

TIA,

Rob

rtg Registered since 27th Dec 2010Wed 02-Feb-11 07:20 PM
#3. "RE: Question on Picture"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 02-Feb-11 11:50 PM by rtg

US

OK, so this is my final shot with this subject. The first image is of my cheesy setup(shot with S8100). Next is the image with PP. I used PS5. I tried to get Aperture and Capture NX2 to work but PS is just so convenient. I went manual focus this time and then reviewed the image details using the zoom feature on the D7000 to see the image before leaving the setup to PP. Camera settings ISO 400, fNumber is 10, shutter speed 1/8s, and flash exposure set at -1.3. I am happy with the detail and color given the substandard amateurish setup.

Setup

Subject

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 03-Feb-11 01:28 AM
11303 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Question on Picture"
In response to Reply # 3

Lowden, US

Lookin’ good Rob!

Sometimes the best way to work out shots like this is with trial and error. Nice work.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

rtg Registered since 27th Dec 2010Thu 03-Feb-11 03:54 PM
#5. "RE: Question on Picture"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thanks Dave.

It's tough when one is learning multiple aspects of the D7000 and PP at the same time. However, with persistence good results are achievable.

Rob

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Fri 04-Feb-11 02:01 PM
3200 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Question on Picture"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

Your images turned out quite well. I was wondering, however, why you chose to use such a slow shutter speed when using the flash. Using flash, the image would have looked the same using 1/8s or 1/60s, or most any other shutter speed below the sync. The white background looks like it was close enough so that the flash illuminated that adequately without any ambient light exposure, so shutter speed doesn't matter much. Also, depth of field at close distances is about 1/2 in front of the focus point and 1/2 behind, so focusing on the front of the subject usually isn't the way to go.

Alan

rtg Registered since 27th Dec 2010Fri 04-Feb-11 03:48 PM
#7. "RE: Question on Picture"
In response to Reply # 6

US

I may have not handled the situation correctly but here was my thought on the last image. I was in manual mode on the D7000 and given that the camera and subject were stationary I relied on the camera's exposure meter to give an indication of the exposure without the flash. The light I had in my cheesy setup was at one single angle yielding a lot of shadows on the front of the subject. As a result I tried to adjust the flash so that it provided a lighting "fill". The flash was in manual mode as well. I took several (about 10) shots varying the flash strength until I got an image that I thought would not require extensive exposure PP.

Regarding the focus point, I understand in theory that there should be a DOF in front of and aft of the focus point. However, in the first image I used a 50mm fixed lens, at approx. 4' and an f number of 4.5. According to DOFmaster there 1.7" in front and 1.9" behind the focus point. The action figure is at best 2" in overall depth. Given the focus point was the chest area of the figure all of the details up to the tip of the gun should have been in focus. This was not the case. Now it could have been the focus point was not the chest area but I believe it was.

This experience at least indicates that focusing on the nearest point yielded the best sharpness result. With one exception.... look at the right boot of the figure. It is a little soft. That can not be more then 0.5" in front of the tip of the gun which was the focus point. Based on calculation the boot should certainly be in focus.

Thanks for the reply.

Rob - The Rookie

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 06-Feb-11 05:25 PM
4216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Question on Picture"
In response to Reply # 7

Alberta, CA

I really like your end-result.

Was it difficult to change the background colour?

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

rtg Registered since 27th Dec 2010Mon 07-Feb-11 01:48 AM
#9. "RE: Question on Picture"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Using Photo Shop it's pretty easy. Perform all post processing you want. Next you use the Quick Selection Tool and it will get image outline about 90%. Then review the image outline in detail and make adjustments as required to get the selection line correct. Next pick Select Inverse and copy. Create a new layer and paste. The image will be on the new layer. Create another new layer with the background color you want and place the image layer on top of the background layer. Delete the original image layer.

There could be an easier way but that's how I did it.

Hope this helps,

Rob

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5394 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.