Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27454
View in linear mode

Subject: "Aaaaaah moment choosing a new body." Previous topic | Next topic
mickeyb48 Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2012Fri 17-May-13 07:25 PM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Aaaaaah moment choosing a new body."

Dacula, US

After reading so many forums, hard to choose a second body.
On one hand I'm thinking about a FX body. I already have a D7000 body, with the battery pack, and love it. Over the past year or so, I was able to purchase some great glass, (Nikon 24-70 2.8, 70-200 f4, and a 105 micro 2.8D). I own a 18-105, and 55-300 DX lens also.

I have been watching the post on the 600 regarding all the dust, and oil spots. I'm not sure I really want the hassle. Unfortunately it is well with in the price range I can spend. I have considered another DX, the 7100.

I found a used D700 and have read some good things pros,, and cons. Video production isn't driving me for the decision, its just a plus if I have it. I have access to some great video cams if I need one bad enough. I have been looking at the 800, but even a used one is up in the price range.

Well after my thoughts, sure could use some help. I'm not a professional photographer, just a happy enthusiastic person, who loves to take shots of landscape and people on the go, and like the finer equipment choices in life. (The wife says I don't have many toys just expensive ones for hobbies).

Well thanks for your in put. Just wondering after reading about that 7100, should I decide just to stay DX, how is it in low light levels?

Thanks again, and sure do enjoy learning from the forums.

Mike

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Aaaaaah moment choosing a new body.
billD80 Silver Member
17th May 2013
km6xz Moderator
19th May 2013
billD80 Silver Member
19th May 2013
luckyphoto Silver Member
19th May 2013
mickeyb48 Gold Member
19th May 2013
luckyphoto Silver Member
19th May 2013
Omaha
20th May 2013
km6xz Moderator
21st May 2013

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 17-May-13 09:14 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Aaaaaah moment choosing a new body."
In response to Reply # 0

US

Just wondering after reading
>about that 7100, should I decide just to stay DX, how is it in
>low light levels?
>

According to Popular Photography magazine, on newsstands yesterday, the D7100 is two stops better in useable sensitivity compared to the D7000. It won't compare with the D600 in that area as that is always a particular advantage FX sensors have.

To me, and this is just an opinion, the D600 is like an FX D7000, and the D7100 is like a DX D800e.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 19-May-13 08:28 AM
3297 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Aaaaaah moment choosing a new body."
In response to Reply # 1

St Petersburg, RU

2 stops? That is a pretty dramatic change. Unfortunately it is not backed up by any of the published measurements or Imaging Resources sample photos:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

The D7100 is obviously the better camera for many reasons but the D7000 still has some tricks up its sleeve such as 100 ISO noise floor being lower which allows pushing shadows further than any camera except the D800. Three stops of boost seems to the the limit before D7100 files degrade with banding.

All the lenses are suited for both the FX and Dx. If you want to stay with DX, without question, the D7100 is THE camera to get. If you are more interested in narrow DOF portraiture or wide angle landscapes or architecture, or very low light, the D600 or D800 are going to be better.
The D700 is a bargain now since so many people have upgraded to the D800, there are a lot of them available. It is solid, reliable, and has good low light performance but lower resolution than any others in the current Nikon line. If you are not printing large or cropping, its 12mpx sensor should do very well.
So the choice is going to be determined by two things, your subject priorities and the feel in your hand. Everything else is not that important of differences. All of these cameras are capable of award winning gallery wall worthy photos.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sun 19-May-13 11:17 AM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Aaaaaah moment choosing a new body."
In response to Reply # 2

US

>2 stops? That is a pretty dramatic change. Unfortunately it
>is not backed up by any of the published measurements or
>Imaging Resources sample photos:
>http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

Here's the quote: "Overall, the D7100 performed as expected. It offers a two-stop improvement over the D7000 in usable sensitivity, and more than 400 lines more resolving power."

Unless I missed it, it's interesting to note that the review leaves out any reference to the lack of an AA filter... something I'd have thought was worth noting.

So, even with the measurement data PopPhoto published, the precision in the review may well be lacking, and in the case of the usable sensitivity, it looks like it is.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Sun 19-May-13 11:42 AM
743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Aaaaaah moment choosing a new body."
In response to Reply # 2

Port Charlotte, US

A solid +1 for Stan's summation.

Here's one other thing to consider. I have both a D7000 and D600 with the same f2.8 glass you have acquired plus a couple more. With the D7000 and D600 I effectively double my lenses. My 70-200m f2.8 on the D600 becomes an approximate 105-300mm f2.8 on my D7000. In effect, I've doubled my lens capability without a lot of cropping in post.

This is useful when I'm covering an event since I usually need a telephoto for candid photos and wide angle for the formal group shots. I put the 70-200mm on the D7000 and the 24-70mm on the D600.

My D600 was purchased in January and was dust free. It's now starting to show some dust after a couple thousand images. It's no big deal since I have a cleaning kit and it's 10-minute process to clean the sensor.

You'll get your Ahhhh moment with either of your candidates. It's really a matter of which one is a better fit with your photographic style.

Good luck.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

mickeyb48 Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2012Sun 19-May-13 03:54 PM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Aaaaaah moment choosing a new body."
In response to Reply # 4

Dacula, US

Have you seen any oil too? What kind of cleaning kit?

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Sun 19-May-13 06:04 PM
743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Aaaaaah moment choosing a new body."
In response to Reply # 5

Port Charlotte, US

There are several to choose from and videos on line about the process.

The one I selected is the Visible Dust EZ Sensor Cleaning kit with the 1.0X swab size and the Vdust+ solution for water and lubrication spots. That's for my D600. You can get them from Adorama, B&H, Amazon, etc. Same solution, but different swab size for my D7000 (or potentially D7100 in your case).

Here's a good article on sensor dust and cleaning. It tells a realistic story about sensor cleaning that allows you to decide if you want to do it or not.

http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm

Best of luck with your new purchase.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Mon 20-May-13 12:54 PM
527 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Aaaaaah moment choosing a new body."
In response to Reply # 2

Omaha, US

>So the choice is going to be determined by two things, your
>subject priorities and the feel in your hand. Everything else
>is not that important of differences. All of these cameras are
>capable of award winning gallery wall worthy photos.

Exactly right.

FWIW, I had the occasion to shoot a graduation over the weekend. The ambient light was terrible, as in virtually non-existent. I remain amazed at the ability of the D7000 (or any of the new-ish Nikons, for that matter) to see in the dark. While I wouldn't want to make monster prints of the results, for the desired purposes (social media sharing, newsletter publication, etc) they are fantastic.

Point being, for any "newsy" or "casual people" shooting situation (roughly defined as action or semi-action shots in questionable light where things like AF speed, easy handling, high-ISO performance, etc are what matters) the OP may find himself in, you already have all the camera you will ever need. An upgrade will yield small, incremental improvements here and there, but that's all.

Landscapes are a totally different thing. The performance features needed there are of a different type than found for action shooting. Speed doesn't matter. If I were going to get serious about landscapes, I'd take a look at some four of five year old MF stuff...something like a 33MP Aptus back on a Mamiya RZ or a Hasselblad. This is gear that would have cost you the price of a very nice car when new, but can be had for reasonable (ish) prices on the used market. I saw a listing on eBay the other day where a guy was unloading a complete setup (body, back, a bunch of lenses) for just under $10k. Probably a retiring pro. Or maybe an orthodontist who decided that he wasn't interested anymore. That kind of setup will yield results untouchable by any 35mm DSLR rig.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 21-May-13 04:53 PM
3297 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Aaaaaah moment choosing a new body."
In response to Reply # 7

St Petersburg, RU

Comparing a mf to a d800 is not on an even playing field. The mf betters the d800 only in a carefully constructed and restrictive session. For example the light and focal distance has to be optimum for the limitations of the mf. The d800 trumps the mf cameras in a much wider range of conditions. You design the mf session around the limitations of the camera but a d800 session is designed around the goal of the session.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27454 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.