Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #15091
View in linear mode

Subject: "Spreadsheet for retrieving settings from NCSETUP7.BIN" Previous topic | Next topic
gesie Registered since 24th Dec 2011Wed 04-Jan-12 06:38 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Spreadsheet for retrieving settings from NCSETUP7.BIN"

ZA

I have developed an Excel macro that can import D7000 settings saved in the NCSETUP7.BIN file to a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet is handy for checking the settings saved on the camera. It can also be used for archiving your settings.

The macro is simple to use. The setup file must be saved to a memory card and then transfered to the computer. Provision is made for specifying your favourite settings by means of drop-down menus. The setup file is imported and the settings shown and compared with your favourite settings. Any differences are highligted. Provision is made for different setup files (e.g. the default vs your own).

Most of the more important settings can be imported, but not all. Some settings are also not saved in the file and is are therefore not available for retrieval. In spite of these limitations, the software is quite useful for the purpose it was developed.

Unfortunately I was not able to develop a macro that can write or create a setup file using your favourite settings. Such software would have been ideal, but without detailed information on the contents of the setup file, it is not possible to develop such software.

The software can be made available for free and it does not carry any copyright. If your are familiar with Excel VBA, you could even adjust the software for your own purpose.

Unfortunately, I do not know how to attach the software to this post. Perhaps the moderator can provide some assistance in this regard.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Spreadsheet for retrieving settings from NCSETUP7....
KentuckyCajun
08th Jan 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
08th Jan 2012
four eighty sparky Silver Member
08th Jan 2012
dm1dave Administrator
08th Jan 2012
gesie
09th Jan 2012
KentuckyCajun
09th Jan 2012
michalaase Gold Member
09th Jan 2012
gesie
09th Jan 2012
KentuckyCajun
09th Jan 2012
gesie
09th Jan 2012
               Reply message LATEST VERSION: Spreadsheet for retrieving settings fr...
gesie
10th Jan 2012

KentuckyCajun Registered since 17th Nov 2011Sun 08-Jan-12 09:05 PM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Spreadsheet for retrieving settings from NCSETUP7.BIN"
In response to Reply # 0

Prospect, US

OUTSTANDING project -- thanks! I have been thinking of the need for such a program. Obviously, we need to eventually be able to make edits and save the results BACK to the D7000, but that's just a challenge for all us VBA geeks to tackle.

Can you pm me a copy while you figure out how to post it?

Thanks
Jim

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 08-Jan-12 09:55 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Spreadsheet for retrieving settings from NCSETUP7.BIN"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

You can put the Excel file into a Zip file, PKZip or WinZip, and attach that file. You could also use Adobe Acrobat to create a PDF of the instructions and then attach the Excel file to the PDF.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Sun 08-Jan-12 10:26 PM
1393 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Spreadsheet for retrieving settings from NCSETUP7.BIN"
In response to Reply # 0

US

There's millions of free file-hosting sites on the innernets. Upload it there and post a link.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 08-Jan-12 10:35 PM
11059 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Spreadsheet for retrieving settings from NCSETUP7.BIN"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Welcome to Niknoians Christo!

To attach images or any files you must be a Silver member.

I think the best approach is the suggestion above in post #3.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Underwater | Online Assignments| Best of 2014

gesie Registered since 24th Dec 2011Mon 09-Jan-12 05:39 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Spreadsheet for retrieving settings from NCSETUP7.BIN"
In response to Reply # 4

ZA

Thank you for all the suggestions.

Jim - I pm'd you a copy of the software. It will be appreciated if you could post it on the website.

I have uploaded the software to the following file shareing website:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1296583/NCSetup7.zip

Download and unzip the file to a folder on your computer. The zip file contains a spreadsheet (with the software macro) together with example bin files.

As far as I know, I do not have any viruses on my computer, but as a safety precaution please check the files with your antivirus software.

Open the spreadsheet and read the instructions on the "Front" sheet.

The spreadsheet and software caries no copyright and can be used freely. I hope that the spreadsheet will be of value to some of you. I have found it most useful to check whether I have entered the settings correctly on the camera.

Any (reasonable!) comments or suggestions will be welcomed.

KentuckyCajun Registered since 17th Nov 2011Mon 09-Jan-12 12:09 PM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Spreadsheet for retrieving settings from NCSETUP7.BIN"
In response to Reply # 5

Prospect, US

Here is the ZIP file from Christo.

I tested it and it works fine on my Windows 7 x64 computer. The documentation is quite complete. Note that when you load a BIN file, the spreadsheet highlights any items that are different from what yo have set up as a standard. Quite convenient!

Also note that Christo developed this in an extremely painstaking manner -- he changed each item one at a time and then found what had changed in the BIN file. This is very valuable information for the rest of us and we all owe him our appreciation. There are a number of still undocumented items -- I hope this forum thread provides an opportunity to contribute to the project by performing tests of our own and reporting the results.

Jim

http://www.nikonians.org/dcfp/user_files/212906.zip

Attachment #1, (zip file)

michalaase Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Mon 09-Jan-12 06:43 AM
46 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Spreadsheet for retrieving settings from NCSETUP7.BIN"
In response to Reply # 0

Karasjok, NO

Thanks a lot for developing this utility and making it public.

However - I can't make it work on my Mac.
When I click "Retrieve settings", an error message pops up stating; «Error encountered while loading setup <NCSETUP7.BIN> file
The setup file must be in the same folder as this spreadsheet»

I have double-checked that the setup file is in the same folder as the spreadsheet,
I have tried with my setupfile as well as the provided <NCSETUP7.BIN>
I have tried to unlock the "MySettings" sheet
I have tried to move the whole folder <NCSetup7> to the desktop

…did I miss something ?

gesie Registered since 24th Dec 2011Mon 09-Jan-12 06:51 AM
#7. "RE: Spreadsheet for retrieving settings from NCSETUP7.BIN"
In response to Reply # 6
Mon 09-Jan-12 06:52 AM by gesie

ZA

>Thanks a lot for developing this utility and making it
>public.
>
>However - I can't make it work on my Mac.
>When I click "Retrieve settings", an error message
>pops up stating; «Error encountered while loading setup
><NCSETUP7.BIN> file
>The setup file must be in the same folder as this
>spreadsheet»
>
>I have double-checked that the setup file is in the same
>folder as the spreadsheet,
>I have tried with my setupfile as well as the provided
><NCSETUP7.BIN>
>I have tried to unlock the "MySettings" sheet
>I have tried to move the whole folder <NCSetup7> to the
>desktop
>
>…did I miss something ?

Please PM me your NCSETUP7.BIN file so that I can check. My email address is scvanas@gmail.com.

Christo

KentuckyCajun Registered since 17th Nov 2011Mon 09-Jan-12 01:21 PM
#9. "RE: Spreadsheet for retrieving settings from NCSETUP7.BIN"
In response to Reply # 7

Prospect, US

When you load a NCSETUP7.BIN file into one of the sheets, any differences from the previously saved values are highlighted -- this makes it extremely easy to figure out what you have changed from your favorite or normal camera configuration. You can create sheets for your various configurations and verify that you have everything set properly.

Of course, it will be VERY helpful when we finally figure out how to actually EDIT the BIN files and save the results!

gesie Registered since 24th Dec 2011Mon 09-Jan-12 02:18 PM
#10. "RE: Spreadsheet for retrieving settings from NCSETUP7.BIN"
In response to Reply # 9

ZA

I was informed by Jim that different firmware versions produce different versions of BIN files. I am still working with version A 1.02, B 1.02 and C 1.002. He provided with me with bin files from later versions, and although the file sizes are significantly different, it appears if the software is still able to extract the setting. This implies that the bit positions of the settings in the file were not changed by Nikon between the different versions (which is helpful!).

If would be highly appreciated if there are programmers available that would be interested in contributing to the project. These persons can contact me and I will provide them with additional information on some other data bits that I have identified and to explain the methodology that I followed in identifying the bits.

The greatest need for further development of the software is to find a way of extracting the bin file from the camera through the USB connection. Using the memory card for this purpose is time consuming and could result in wear and tear on the camera. It would be helpful if someone could develop a method that can be used for this purpose (if it is possible).

Christo

gesie Registered since 24th Dec 2011Tue 10-Jan-12 01:01 PM
#11. "LATEST VERSION: Spreadsheet for retrieving settings from NCSETUP7.BIN"
In response to Reply # 10

ZA

A new version of the spreadsheet is available that can also be used on the Mac operating system.

The new version also provides for a "development" section that can be used by persons that are interested in contributing to the development of the software. Normal users can simply ignore this facility.

The software can be downloaded from:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1296583/NCSetup7.zip

Christo

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #15091 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.