Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #10665
View in linear mode

Subject: "Exposure mode dial fix" Previous topic | Next topic
Holmes375 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Sep 2006Thu 07-Jul-11 03:02 AM
1523 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Exposure mode dial fix"

US

The exposure mode dial is my biggest complaint with the ergonomics of the D7K. I work out of holster bags and dry bags, often in kayaks and canoes. I've had many occasions where I've changed my exposure mode unknowingly during my draw from such bags. Additionally, I've knocked the dial off when using larger lenses in the vertical mode.

Since I switch between aperture priority and manual exposure often using gaffer tape was an inconvenient fix. Tried various O-rings and rubber bands without success.

I've finally come up with something that seems to work quite nicely - heat shrink tubing. I had a package of assorted diameters in my tool box, the largest being just slightly greater than 3/4" in diameter. Using an Exacto knife I removed a 3/16" wide section of this tubing and stretched it over the mode dial using a pair of forceps. The fit was quite snug but I applied a bit of heat via a heat gun at its low setting. This was just enough to cause the shrink tubing to snug right into the knurled dial and conform to the slight taper of the dial.

There's no interference with either upper or lower dials and the upper exposure mode dial know longer has the exposed knurled surface that so easily grabs any material it came into contact with. The dial now has a rather slick surface allowing it to slide instead of grab.

I've been using this for several days now with no disruptions in any of my bags that were previously causing consistent accidents.

I'm much happier with this simple little modification.

Cheers!

-Holmes
http://holmes.zenfolio.com/

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Exposure mode dial fix
mdallie Silver Member
07th Jul 2011
blw Moderator
07th Jul 2011
mdallie Silver Member
07th Jul 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
07th Jul 2011
mdallie Silver Member
07th Jul 2011
Robman3
09th Jul 2011
pdekman Gold Member
07th Jul 2011
jmiguez Silver Member
08th Jul 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
08th Jul 2011
mborn1 Silver Member
09th Jul 2011
Robman3
09th Jul 2011
ericbowles Moderator
09th Sep 2011
carpemoment
10th Sep 2011

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Thu 07-Jul-11 10:31 AM
228 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Exposure mode dial fix"
In response to Reply # 0

Novi, US

When you applied the heat, was the band already on the camera? (I am worried about melting the camera).

Where do you get the bands?

Mike

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 07-Jul-11 01:27 PM
26546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Exposure mode dial fix"
In response to Reply # 1

Richmond, US

Heat shrink tubing is meant to be heated after it is in place, so yes, it must have already been on. You shouldn't need to worry about melting the camera as (a) the heat isn't all that high - under 100C - and (b) it doesn't take very long at all - seconds - especially for thinner tubes.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Thu 07-Jul-11 02:12 PM
228 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Exposure mode dial fix"
In response to Reply # 3

Novi, US

What did you use to heat the tubing? I'm thinking my propane torch is a bad idea.

Mike

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 07-Jul-11 05:12 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Exposure mode dial fix"
In response to Reply # 4

Chicago, US

The electrical heat shrink tubing is designed to shrink with the use of an electric heat gun or or even a hair dryer. In a pinch one could even use a match.

A propane torch could very easily set the tubing afire.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Thu 07-Jul-11 05:46 PM
#6. "RE: Exposure mode dial fix"
In response to Reply # 5

Novi, US

Thanks. the hair dryer sounds like it will work for me.

Mike

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Sat 09-Jul-11 06:34 PM
1756 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Exposure mode dial fix"
In response to Reply # 4

West of Santa Monica, US

YIKES!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Thu 07-Jul-11 11:54 AM
1027 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Exposure mode dial fix"
In response to Reply # 0

Swisher, US

Great thinking! Not obvious to change the surface friction rather than the dial force. The mod looks good too. Nicely done and thanks for sharing. (now... must find heat shrink tubing in Nikon red)

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Fri 08-Jul-11 11:57 AM
465 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Exposure mode dial fix"
In response to Reply # 2

Lafayette, US

That is a brilliant idea! I too have had issues with the dial getting moved without my knowledge.

Paul, you can get heat shrink tubing in red. However, it is a duller red than Nikon's. Maybe Gold?

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 08-Jul-11 05:38 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Exposure mode dial fix"
In response to Reply # 7

Chicago, US

This tubing comes in colors to match the colors available for electrical wiring plus transparent/clear. Home HEAT SHRINK TUBING Thin Wall 2:1 in 14 sizes and 9 colors.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

mborn1 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Nov 2008Sat 09-Jul-11 10:27 AM
201 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Exposure mode dial fix"
In response to Reply # 0

Taunton, US

Neat idea. I did send my camera back to Nikon for that reason and they fixed it so it now rarely happens

Myer
Photo Bee1
http://photobee1.blogspot.com/
http://photobee1.com

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Sat 09-Jul-11 06:34 PM
1756 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Exposure mode dial fix"
In response to Reply # 0

West of Santa Monica, US

Brilliant!

Thanks,

Rob

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 09-Sep-11 08:34 PM
8472 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Exposure mode dial fix"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I missed this post earlier. Thanks so much for posting - and Brian - thanks for the link.

I have had the camera mode change inadvertently on 5 occasions over 10 days of shooting. The first 3 times is cost me 10-20 images - I may be slow but I finally started checking the dial. This looks to be a good solution.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

carpemoment Registered since 17th Dec 2009Sat 10-Sep-11 03:56 PM
282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Exposure mode dial fix"
In response to Reply # 12

Raleigh, US

FYI, I had to send my D7K in for service. I forgot to mention the dial. When it came back, my dial was "tightened." It has more distinct resistance so it is apparently a simple adjustment.

Visit <www.carpemoment.com>.

or http://gary-adkins.fineartamerica.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #10665 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.