Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1146
View in linear mode

Subject: "HIgh School Pics Unedited." Previous topic | Next topic
TMort Registered since 04th Jul 2010Sun 24-Oct-10 04:23 AM
68 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"HIgh School Pics Unedited."
Sun 24-Oct-10 05:17 AM by TMort

US

As promised I have uploaded some of my unedited jpegs from a highschool game the other night. They are located in my gallery.

Just wanted to add that these photos are to show how the D7000 did at the settings used...all photos are fine jpegs. Also, if anyone has any advise based on the photos and settings that were used.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: HIgh School Pics Unedited.
km6xz Moderator
24th Oct 2010
TMort
24th Oct 2010
km6xz Moderator
24th Oct 2010
TMort
25th Oct 2010
blw Moderator
25th Oct 2010
dazman47
25th Oct 2010
TMort
27th Oct 2010

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 24-Oct-10 10:17 AM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: HIgh School Pics Unedited."
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Hi TMort
The image looks very underexposed. I downloaded it and increased exposure +1ev in LightRoom3 and added a small amount of sharpening.
I had to really compress the image and set Quality to "Low" to get it under the 150K size for the forum, so the higher res version of the JPG has a lot more detail and smoothness in shadow gradient. Considering how underexposed it was, it shows a lot of information throughout a wide dynamic range. The RAW files would look great.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

TMort Registered since 04th Jul 2010Sun 24-Oct-10 11:50 AM
68 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: HIgh School Pics Unedited."
In response to Reply # 1
Sun 24-Oct-10 11:52 AM by TMort

US

Hi Stan, Ya I was trying to find a balance to keep the pics sharp and still get enough light in them. Is there a better setting combo you would recommend to get better exposure?

As always, thanks for your great input!

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 24-Oct-10 12:08 PM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: HIgh School Pics Unedited."
In response to Reply # 2

St Petersburg, RU

What were your settings besides ISO 4000 and f/5.6? The shutter must has been high to get the action frozen. The only problem was metering must have showed the underexposure at those settings. Where you using Manual mode? Shutter priority would have caused the aperture to open fully, is that 5.6 at the FL you were using? I assume so, if that is the case, the only other element the camera could use to expose properly would have been ISO. If it was set to Auto ISO with a high max. it would have selected a higher ISO which would have been fine with that camera. I guess that you set the ISO to a fixed value of 4000.
In this case I would have let the camera choose it based on the speed I wanted for freezing action, by setting the ISO to Auto. I never shoot Auto ISO but this would have been a good time for it, particularly if I was just getting used to the camera. Program mode would also have worked to lower the confusion with a new camera in a fast game. In Program mode, the correct ratio of shutter and aperture is maintained, Increasing one manually lowers the other variable elements to maintain exposure.
One thing you can try until you get it all figured out, try using a Scene mode, sports of course here, and take a shot. If it looks nice(I am positive that it would), view the image data and note what the camera selected as a base point to set Shutter priority/Aperture, and ISO.
Good luck....I am envious...

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

TMort Registered since 04th Jul 2010Mon 25-Oct-10 02:04 AM
#4. "RE: HIgh School Pics Unedited."
In response to Reply # 3

US

I had shutter at 1/500 and also had shutter priority on. I will def say that there will be a huge learning with this camera, there are a lot of features that I don't understand. Makes me wonder if I would have been better off with the 3100. I'm going to see if the local shop has a dslr class I can attend.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 25-Oct-10 09:12 AM
26571 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: HIgh School Pics Unedited."
In response to Reply # 4

Richmond, US

I'd have turned up the ISO even higher. Night high school football games are among the most technically challenging situations around. I've had some difficulty with that even given premium equipment (D3, 400/f2.8). In your case you opted for an ISO that's 2/3rds stop lower than I would have started with (6400) plus you're using a lens that's two stops slower (f/5.6). In practice I've usually nded up at ISO 12800.

As far as learning goes, if you don't have a completely solid understanding of exposure, I'd start with Bryan Peterson's book Understanding Exposure. (There is a new edition out now, I forget the precise title, but it includes Understanding Exposure in the title.)

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

dazman47 Registered since 25th Sep 2007Mon 25-Oct-10 04:39 AM
388 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: HIgh School Pics Unedited."
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

I enjoyed your NTC2010 pictures. Thanks for sharing!

Dave
My Nikonians Gallery

TMort Registered since 04th Jul 2010Wed 27-Oct-10 06:48 AM
#7. "RE: HIgh School Pics Unedited."
In response to Reply # 5
Thu 28-Oct-10 09:20 AM by TMort

US

For those interested I've uploaded some of the unedited college game photos.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1146 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.