Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21263
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 images vs iPhone 5" Previous topic | Next topic
docimmer Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2004Sat 29-Sep-12 08:22 PM
42 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 images vs iPhone 5"

Eau Claire, US

I've been so impressed with the photos that I can take with my iPhone 5 I thought it would be fun to perform a comparison. Here is a screenshot of the Lightroom comparison view of three images taken of the same scene.

Top Left is taken with the D7000 - unadjusted, in camera,jpg
Top Right is taken with the D7000 Raw, and adjusted in Lightroom 4.
Bottom is taken with the iPhone, unadjusted

Cropping was done so the image proportions are the same.

Steve

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 images vs iPhone 5
cwils02 Gold Member
30th Sep 2012
docimmer Silver Member
30th Sep 2012
swyost Silver Member
30th Sep 2012
ORTHOZAC Silver Member
30th Sep 2012
benmlee
30th Sep 2012
RLDubbya
01st Oct 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
02nd Oct 2012
km6xz Moderator
03rd Oct 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
07th Oct 2012
luckyphoto Silver Member
08th Oct 2012
PAStime Silver Member
07th Oct 2012
RSchussel Silver Member
08th Oct 2012

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Sun 30-Sep-12 05:33 AM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 images vs iPhone 5"
In response to Reply # 0

HIXSON, US

Steve, based on what I see on my monitor, I would go with:
1: Upper Right
2: Upper Left
3: Lower Center

They all look a little soft to me. Perhaps if you gave us larger images that almost filled the screen, we could make a better appraisal.

Try 1024x??? up to 1080x???.

The big difference I see is that in the iPhone photo, the sky looks washed out.

Can you shoot RAW on the iPhone?

Charlie

docimmer Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2004Sun 30-Sep-12 02:37 PM
42 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 images vs iPhone 5"
In response to Reply # 1

Eau Claire, US

No, you can't shoot in RAW in the iPhone. But, it does have some interesting features. It captures panoramas in one continuous sweep of the camera:

Also, below is the same iPhone jpg in my original post, with some Lightroom adjustments:

The camera in the phone actually has a HDR feature. But, I haven't given it a try yet.

My point for posting this is that for a quick point and shoot situation, the iPhone camera is quite remarkable. And, it's always in my pocket. And, I think it would make very acceptable images for a 4" x 6" print or a Facebook post. I don't mean to turn this into a thread about the iPhone - but since I am a devoted D7000 fan, I see this as an adjunct to my D7000. Until now, I had a Panasonic Lumix LX3 as my point and shoot for when I just didn't want to bring my Nikon with me...now that seems superfluous.

Steve

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

swyost Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Aug 2007Sun 30-Sep-12 08:01 PM
693 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 images vs iPhone 5"
In response to Reply # 0

US

No offense but I immediately picked the third image as being from the phone. Beyond that, realty is even my HTC Trophy will take a quality looking image of a landscape in good light. I also really don't see why this is posted in a D7000 forum. It seems to be about extolling the virtues of a camera phone....

ORTHOZAC Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Sep 2009Sun 30-Sep-12 10:18 PM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 images vs iPhone 5"
In response to Reply # 0

ZACATECAS, MX

Hello Steve; Good afternoon:

I noticed that you NEVER implied that your iphone5 could take better pictures than your trusty D7000, it was very clear to me that you are so impress with some features and photo quality of your iphone5 that you are using it INSTEAD of a point and shoot camera, and only when you can´t bring your bulky DLSR D7000 with you...been there, done that, only that my joker camera is my trusty Canon G11. Got your point and I agree with you, smart phones are getting better and I think that they will eventually replace point and shoot cameras any day soon... Regards... Joseph.

benmlee Registered since 03rd Jul 2012Sun 30-Sep-12 10:31 PM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 images vs iPhone 5"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Having been shooting only point and shoot since almost beginning of digital camera, I am tired of point and shoot image. The colors and quality is just not as deep as the D7000. Is hard to describe. Even my wife said the image is better.
You probably can't tell just by looking at two pictures, but when you look at hundreds of point and shoot picture from all the vacation and kids and family, then look at the picture of the D7000, is obvious the D7000 is better. Is not day and night difference, but enough for you to know the difference.

RLDubbya Registered since 24th Dec 2011Mon 01-Oct-12 10:41 PM
542 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 images vs iPhone 5"
In response to Reply # 0

US

It's certainly true that if you don't have your camera with you, you will miss 100% of the shots you see. It's also true that if you can't use your camera quickly, you'll miss some percentage of situation-dependent shots.

I agree that the Smartphones are getting better. I haven't compared them to a same generation point-n-shoot, so, can't comment there.

However, and maybe I'm alone in this, I dislike the feel of the smartphone camera in general. It's been awhile since I had an iphone (a lack of user replaceble batteries), but IIRC, it used the home button to activate the shutter, which was much better than my droids. But even with that, a point-n-shoot feels better in my hand than a smartphone.

But, you have inspired me. My point-n-shoot broke, and I need to buy a new one. Because I have missed shots when I didn't have the D7000 with me. Some of my all time favorite images were birthed from a point-n-shoot.

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Tue 02-Oct-12 06:45 PM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 images vs iPhone 5"
In response to Reply # 6

HIXSON, US

>>"It's been awhile since I had an iphone (a lack of user replaceble batteries)"<<

Amen to that!!! How many tales have you heard of where people are stranded somewhere, and their phone batteries have died. When I'm off in the outback shooting by myself, I have a snack bag of phone batteries with me.

Charlie

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 03-Oct-12 06:08 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 images vs iPhone 5"
In response to Reply # 7
Sun 07-Oct-12 07:54 AM by km6xz

St Petersburg, RU

No doubt, if I was a camera manufacturer I would be worried if my line was mostly point and shoot cameras, the bottom end and very casual shooting can be done entirely with a smartphone now, and it is free.
When displayed large, when trying to preserve DR of a scene or when light is not optimum, the DSLR of course shines.
I have not been a smartphone user and did not care about them but last week broke down and got a Samsung Galaxy SIII and find it quite impressive. Talk about convenient photos....I was in a cafe meeting a new prospective employee for a new start up business and took a photo of her, and sent her a copy directly by Direct Wifi to here and a copy to my laptop at home via email with 2 button clicks. It was geotagged and annotated with my notes and included her phone number/skype name that was sent directly to my phone from hers. Hummm, pretty cool.

I shoot less with my D7000 and D800 due to the weight negating carrying both all the time like I used to but that means lower frame counts but more serious and better images because those I do take are because it was the intended activity to be photography. Photography is starting to feel more like it did in the film era for me, more deliberate, less wasted shots, more time thinking about a shot than doing it. I think that is a good trend, but is sure is getting harder to cull out the non-keepers because there aren't many that are obviously not worth keeping. The phone will probably fill the need for opportunity shots and having something with me all the time. But it is not photography, more reportage, to me.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 07-Oct-12 03:38 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000 images vs iPhone 5"
In response to Reply # 7
Sun 07-Oct-12 03:44 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

There are rechargable battery packs made specifically for the iPxd and many with a USB port on them, so you can use your phone's cord.

I like the iGo line as there are a battery pack, a solar charge, and multi-source computer power supply/charger that can share cords and one only needs a charging tip for a specific device. There is even a led light head and a AA/AAA charger.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Mon 08-Oct-12 02:34 PM
691 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D7000 images vs iPhone 5"
In response to Reply # 6

Port Charlotte, US

If you want a funny review at the iPhone 5 versus SLR cameras, take a look here, but be warned, there's a little raw language. It does make several good points for and against.

They compare against Nikon and Hasselblad cameras.

http://www.picturecorrect.com/tips/iphone-5-vs-dslr-cameras/

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sun 07-Oct-12 05:17 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7000 images vs iPhone 5"
In response to Reply # 0

Kingston, CA

It is indeed remarkable on how good the quality is coming from recent smartphones. As we all know, they work well in good conditions. For difficult conditions we need our DSLRs. Peter

RSchussel Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Nov 2008Mon 08-Oct-12 05:07 PM
411 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D7000 images vs iPhone 5"
In response to Reply # 10

Vallejo, US

I dont get all of the excitement.

Why would someone pay for a D7000 etc when there are decent point and shots available. The answer is obivious. Some of us can see the difference.

If you are looking at 4X6 prints it is hard to tell the difference .But I can tell you that in a large print most people can see the difference. Most like my wife dont care but they do see the difference.

If getting the shot versus not getting it, use the iphone camera. But for those of us who care stick to the D7000.It does things that creates envy for point and shoot enthuastists.

Bob

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21263 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.