Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21591
View in linear mode

Subject: "need tethering software for Windows 7 laptop" Previous topic | Next topic
Catfishcounts Registered since 16th Oct 2012Tue 16-Oct-12 04:55 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"need tethering software for Windows 7 laptop"

US

I purchased Lightroom 3 last year. It promised support for the D7000. After much frustration, I got it working on my iMac, but not my Windows 7 laptop. I wish it was the other way around, because I can't very well take my iMac on location. I need it working on the Dell laptop.
Does anyone know if this has been resolved in Lightroom 4? I don't want to shell out the $$ for the upgrade if it hasn't. Do any of the Nikon software titles work for tethered shooting with the D7000? Maybe other products are better, such as Breeze's NK Remote?

My main need is Live View on my laptop screen. I can't see the focus on eyes well enough when previewing a shot in the D7000's LCD. When I'm shooting business portraits I have to know that I have the eyes spot on. The subjects are already b!tc#ing and moaning that they have to be there in the first place, so it's near impossible, or at the least very difficult and humiliating to ask them to sit again. I use a single spot for auto focus and use the multiselector to put it on an eye, but sometimes it's still not perfect. And I need to be able to still shoot wide open or near (f/1.8-2.8 or f/3.0 at least) to blur background.

I have to get tethering software that will work on a Windows 7 laptop so I can see the focus on the eyes on the laptop screen before I release the shutter. Please Help Nikonians. Thanks! -Craig

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: need tethering software for Windows 7 laptop
mudman2 Silver Member
16th Oct 2012
RLDubbya Silver Member
16th Oct 2012
Dgastrong Gold Member
17th Oct 2012
mudman2 Silver Member
17th Oct 2012
Catfishcounts
17th Oct 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
17th Oct 2012
mudman2 Silver Member
21st Oct 2012
blw Moderator
17th Oct 2012
jadiniz
18th Oct 2012
Catfishcounts
23rd Oct 2012
RYnikon Silver Member
20th Oct 2012
Catfishcounts
23rd Oct 2012
mfphoto1
21st Oct 2012
Catfishcounts
23rd Oct 2012
gbowen Gold Member
24th Oct 2012
RYnikon Silver Member
24th Oct 2012
Catfishcounts
20th Nov 2012

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Tue 16-Oct-12 07:39 PM
166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: need tethering software for Windows 7 laptop"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 16-Oct-12 07:40 PM by mudman2

Jamison, US

Nikon Camera control works on both Windows 7 and Mac

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Tue 16-Oct-12 09:35 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: need tethering software for Windows 7 laptop"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I spent 20 minutes today trying to make this work, to no avail.

Lightroom 4.2, most recent version.
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
D7000 firmware version. a-1.02 b-1.02 L-1.002

Windows 7 recognizes the camera. I can browse the SD card. Lightroom tether does not recognize the camera is connected. However, LR import can also browse the SD card in the camera.

I know the firmware for the D7k has been updated, but I'm not going there.

Dgastrong Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Oct 2012Wed 17-Oct-12 03:30 AM
845 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: need tethering software for Windows 7 laptop"
In response to Reply # 2

Sonoita, US

I use Lightroom 4.2 and my D7000. Windows 7 64bit. Found same issues but realized that once the software did not "see" the camera for live view I restarted the software, plugged in the camera to the computer, started tethered, then turned on camera and waited 20+ seconds for the program to recognize the camera. I also found that turning off the tethered mode in the program forced me to reload he program. Turned the camera on and off for 50+ shots and along as the tether mode was still on Lightroom had no problems seeing the camera.....weird but true.

Hope this helps.

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Wed 17-Oct-12 03:17 PM
166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: need tethering software for Windows 7 laptop"
In response to Reply # 2

Jamison, US

Why bother, Camera Control Pro works out of the box

Catfishcounts Registered since 16th Oct 2012Wed 17-Oct-12 08:03 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: need tethering software for Windows 7 laptop"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thanks guys for the input. I downloaded Nikon Cam Control for a trial, but I must have tried it last year when I bought Lightroom 3 and it didn't work. Anyway, it wouldn't let me try it in the trial phase. I wonder if I uninstalled it, and got a different IP# for my laptop it would let me download and try it again.

Anyway, I've read today several others that have also had good luck tethering their D7000 with Nikon CC Pro2. It's $145 though, and I just bought a lens, so I guess I'll give it a go next month. Thanks again! -Craig

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Wed 17-Oct-12 08:59 PM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: need tethering software for Windows 7 laptop"
In response to Reply # 5

HIXSON, US

Craig,

For me, at least, I found Nikon Camera Control to be more trouble that it's worth. You can change most of the menu items rather using the camera's menu. Whoop! The problem that I remember was that you had to use someother software to actually shoot tethered. ViewNX? Not sure. I'm thinking that it hadn't been updated in quite sometime. Perhaps it has been now.

There is another product that some people like that is nowhere near $145.00. I'll try to locate it and reply to your post.

As far as retrying a trial is concerned, most companies either put something in the registry that isn't removed on uninstallation or put a file somewhere that shows when the trial started.

Charlie

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Sun 21-Oct-12 12:18 AM
#10. "RE: need tethering software for Windows 7 laptop"
In response to Reply # 6

Jamison, US

Once you use CCPro to view and take the shot it actually opens the resulting image up full size in View NX, a free program from Nikon

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 17-Oct-12 10:09 PM
26546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: need tethering software for Windows 7 laptop"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I use ControlMyNikon for this. Amazingly, it costs only $19 and it's a breeze to set up. I actually run it on my MacBook in a Windows virtual machine, and it does the job. I use it for other things, but certainly the LiveView works as you wish.

On the other hand, do you REALLY need to use the laptop? I usually zoom the LiveView display and that is easily enough to get very precise focus. (Usually I'm focusing on architectural details through a perspective control lens, meaning that those details are usually quite small in the frame.)

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

jadiniz Registered since 25th Dec 2010Thu 18-Oct-12 02:33 PM
350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: need tethering software for Windows 7 laptop"
In response to Reply # 7

Estoril, PT

Another vote for ControlMyNikon3. Inexpensive and very, very good.

http://egozarolho.blogspot.com
1. Good content, good aesthetics and good tecnique. On that order.
2. Light is more important than glass and pixels.
3. In the digital photography process, software is as important as gear.

Catfishcounts Registered since 16th Oct 2012Tue 23-Oct-12 04:53 PM
#12. "RE: need tethering software for Windows 7 laptop"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Thanks for the info! Looking into ControlMyNikon.

RYnikon Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Oct 2003Sat 20-Oct-12 06:20 AM
253 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: need tethering software for Windows 7 laptop"
In response to Reply # 7

Pittsford, US

Looks like $29.95 on the ControlMyNikon website today -- where can it be had for $19?

Robb
Photography: technically fine art!

Catfishcounts Registered since 16th Oct 2012Tue 23-Oct-12 04:54 PM
#13. "RE: need tethering software for Windows 7 laptop"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Thanks for the info! That's two for ControlMyNikon. Will check on it today.

mfphoto1 Registered since 29th Oct 2005Sun 21-Oct-12 06:18 PM
733 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#11. "RE: need tethering software for Windows 7 laptop"
In response to Reply # 0

Cincinnati, US

I use http://www.oxfordeye.co.uk/tetherPro/tetherPro.aspx the software is good and the support is great.

"Step into my world and see as I see"

My Nikonians Gallery

Catfishcounts Registered since 16th Oct 2012Tue 23-Oct-12 04:55 PM
#14. "RE: need tethering software for Windows 7 laptop"
In response to Reply # 11

US

THanks! Comparing this to ControlMyNikon. Many thanks for the input!

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Wed 24-Oct-12 04:03 PM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: need tethering software for Windows 7 laptop"
In response to Reply # 14

Canton, US

I definitely gotta get CMN! I'm getting into macro work with my little apartment studio, shooting gems and minerals for online sales. This would certainly streamline my workflow. I have a desktop running Windows 7. A laptop would be nice and probably will get one in the future.

George

RYnikon Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Oct 2003Wed 24-Oct-12 04:08 PM
253 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: need tethering software for Windows 7 laptop"
In response to Reply # 14

Pittsford, US

Craig,

I would be very interested to see what you think as you compare these programs!

Robb
Photography: technically fine art!

Catfishcounts Registered since 16th Oct 2012Tue 20-Nov-12 07:18 PM
#17. "RE: need tethering software for Windows 7 laptop"
In response to Reply # 16

US

Hey all,
Sorry for the disappearing act. Family matters to deal with. Still need to compare these tethering tools that have been recommended. Hope to get to it early December.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21591 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.