Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21998
View in linear mode

Subject: "Does the D7000 need Auto focus lens?" Previous topic | Next topic
rainbowpython03 Registered since 22nd Oct 2012Mon 05-Nov-12 10:20 PM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Does the D7000 need Auto focus lens?"

Beverly Hills, AU

Pardon my ignorance but does the D7000 need an lens with its own focus motor? I believe this is accurate.

Or are all the DX lens automatically AF or AFS?

This one is really confusing me and I would prefer to get it right and not waste money chasing something I dont need.

Thanks Nikonians,

Jim

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Does the D7000 need Auto focus lens?
briantilley Moderator
05th Nov 2012
tekneektom Gold Member
05th Nov 2012
Tucsonmr2
08th Nov 2012
briantilley Moderator
08th Nov 2012
Tucsonmr2
08th Nov 2012
Sinikon
09th Nov 2012

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 05-Nov-12 10:26 PM
28315 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Does the D7000 need Auto focus lens?"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

The D7000 has an in-camera AF motor, so it will work with "screwdriver" AF lenses as well as those that have their own motor.

Most DX Nikkors are AF-S and thus have their own motor; only the AF 10.5mm f/2.8G DX fisheye does not.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Mon 05-Nov-12 11:49 PM
1429 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Does the D7000 need Auto focus lens?"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

In addition to autofocus lenses, the D7000 can also focus manually with both autofocus and manual lenses.

Tom

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Tucsonmr2 Registered since 08th Nov 2012Thu 08-Nov-12 09:08 PM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Does the D7000 need Auto focus lens?"
In response to Reply # 2

AU

as mentioned above the D7000 already has a focusing motor built into the camera (the cheaper models do not have this feature) so even if the lens isnt an autofocus lens it will still be able to focus in autofocus mode using the motor thats in the camera
it can however be a little bit more noisier than a normal autofocus lens if thats a bother to you.

cheers

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 08-Nov-12 10:42 PM
28315 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Does the D7000 need Auto focus lens?"
In response to Reply # 3

Paignton, GB

>as mentioned above the D7000 already has a focusing motor
>built into the camera (the cheaper models do not have this
>feature) so even if the lens isnt an autofocus lens it will
>still be able to focus in autofocus mode using the motor thats
>in the camera.

I supect you mean "...even if the lens isn't an AF-S lens it will still be able to focus in autofocus mode...". If it really isn't an autofocus lens, it won't autofocus on any camera, in any mode.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Tucsonmr2 Registered since 08th Nov 2012Thu 08-Nov-12 11:25 PM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Does the D7000 need Auto focus lens?"
In response to Reply # 4

AU

/\ yep thanks
thats what i was meant to say.
cheers

Sinikon Registered since 14th Sep 2012Fri 09-Nov-12 02:21 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Does the D7000 need Auto focus lens?"
In response to Reply # 5

HR

Didn't know that there is incamera focus motor. Interesting news for me! Thanks!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21998 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.