Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #19855
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 is 7 light years away from my FM2" Previous topic | Next topic
hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Sat 14-Jul-12 11:42 AM
137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 is 7 light years away from my FM2"
Sat 14-Jul-12 11:51 AM by hyphotographer

GB

Gone are the days that I spend a hard waiting period for a precious roll of film to finish and waiting anxiously for it to be posted and prints send back. Also, the days of dark room guess work, developing chemicals (developer, acid and fixer), photopaper and enlarger is a distant vivid memory.

While shooting, I can change the ISO setting, which is impossible to do on film. A roll cannot have mixed ISO of 100, 200, 320, 400, 800, 6400 etc.

With Nikon D7000, I can shoot and process RAW (NEF) images straightaway. It is a camera bolted on with an amazingly fast and portable studio (darkroom or lightroom).

The EXPEED2 proceesor is amazingly fast. My slow computer needs more than three minutes to process an EV change for a RAW file while D7000 does it in a second or two.

Very please with my D7000, it can do sharpening, monochrome with colour filtering effects, sketching (turning photo into handmade sketches for artist to work) , etc.

It helps me to develop new skills: shooting, processing and cleaning sensor!

The downside is AF finetune issues with my old AF Nikkor lens. The price is expensive too.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 is 7 light years away from my FM2
ShrimpBoy Silver Member
14th Jul 2012
hyphotographer
14th Jul 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
14th Jul 2012
ShrimpBoy Silver Member
15th Jul 2012
hyphotographer
16th Jul 2012
luckyphoto Silver Member
15th Jul 2012
Reply message Soft filter effect
hyphotographer
29th Dec 2012
Reply message 4, 6 and 8 cross hair lights effect
hyphotographer
29th Dec 2012
Reply message RE: 4, 6 and 8 cross hair lights effect
Bravozulu Silver Member
30th Dec 2012
mick24
08th Jan 2013

ShrimpBoy Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Sat 14-Jul-12 02:28 PM
882 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 is 7 light years away from my FM2"
In response to Reply # 0

Brighton and Hove, GB

Alan,

I don't do any in-camera processing so I can't comment on that, but I also love that digital provides essentially instant images. And I am extremely happy that I've spent the money to upgrade to the D7000. I see the AF fine tune as a real bonus: my 16-85 VR didn't seem quite up to par until I dialled in a little negative tuning, now it is superb.

By "old AF Nikkor" do you mean your 50mm f/1.8? I have one of those, but I have to admit I don't think I've mounted it yet on the D7000. Maybe I should try it.

Gary
"Yea, Sussex by the sea!" - Rudyard Kipling

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Sat 14-Jul-12 06:18 PM
137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 is 7 light years away from my FM2"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

yes, 50mm f/1.8 is the problem.

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Sat 14-Jul-12 08:54 PM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 is 7 light years away from my FM2"
In response to Reply # 2
Sat 14-Jul-12 08:55 PM by cwils02

HIXSON, US

Is your 50mm f/1.8 different from the 50mm f/1.8D?

I use the 50mm f/1.8D on a D7000 with no known problems. It doesn't work too good on my D5100 (No in camera autofocus).

What are the problems you are having?

Charlie

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ShrimpBoy Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Sun 15-Jul-12 02:36 AM
882 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 is 7 light years away from my FM2"
In response to Reply # 3
Sun 15-Jul-12 02:36 AM by ShrimpBoy

Brighton and Hove, GB

Mine is also an AF-D. I put it on the camera this afternoon and shot a few frames. Only one particular image caused problems, but I think that was an AF target problem. The rest were spot on.

When I tuned my 16-85, I ended up skipping all the clever scientific stuff. I noticed it was backfocusing on a particular close up subject so I just dialled in more and more negative fine tune until it got that image right. Then I walked around the back yard and shot things near and far, checked on the computer that focus was okay on all of them, and that was it. I think I settled on -10 adjustment. I suspect it's not perfect in all images, but my theory is that DOF will cover a lot of far-distance focus sins a lot of the time. If the lens is bang-on close up, that makes me happy.

Gary
"Yea, Sussex by the sea!" - Rudyard Kipling

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Mon 16-Jul-12 07:47 PM
#6. "RE: D7000 is 7 light years away from my FM2"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

It is Nikkor AF f/1.8 from 1988 for film camera on F801 and I like the aperture ring with distance marking.

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Sun 15-Jul-12 11:53 AM
739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 is 7 light years away from my FM2"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

Getting back to the film comparison, one of the people in my company recently returned from a 10-day vacation. He took about 2,500 digital images during his trip. I did the math and at 36 exposures per role that was about 70 rolls of film. Estimating a development and print cost of $12 per role that would have been $840 US. Almost the price of another camera!

Now I look at my SDHC cards and smile.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Sat 29-Dec-12 08:47 PM
#7. "Soft filter effect"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

Very cool soft filter effect for portraits. You can get three different settings too.

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Sat 29-Dec-12 08:48 PM
#8. "4, 6 and 8 cross hair lights effect"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

Very cool to try the cross hair lights effect too, you can choose 4, 6 or 8 lines with variation in lengths.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sun 30-Dec-12 03:43 PM
755 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: 4, 6 and 8 cross hair lights effect"
In response to Reply # 8

Los Angeles, US

When I acquired my D7000 in April, I had big dreams for the six Nikon film lenses sitting unused in a hard carry case since 1995. I worked for a big publisher in Tokyo and we bought Nikon gear direct from the factory. All the lenses were pre-1978.

And none of them would synch up with the D7000. I was afraid I would break off the f-stop lever if I tried too hard. Even the camera store that sold me the D7000 and my two digital lenses couldn't get the description of my old lenses right. AI? AIS? What were these things.

The loss of my 300mm f4 E lens was particularly disappointing. But you know, I got good prices for them all on eBay and they are a distant memory.

mick24 Registered since 08th Jan 2013Tue 08-Jan-13 11:16 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7000 is 7 light years away from my FM2"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

In the OLD DAYS I could rewind the film just enough until the leader was still sticking out of the film cassette (listen and feel very carefully) to switch between ISO or BW/Colour.

Take track of how many shots you had taken and pop it back in, advance x number of frames and voila !

Steve

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #19855 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.