Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6884
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which should you buy, the D3200 or the D5100?" Previous topic | Next topic
jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Mon 15-Oct-12 09:54 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which should you buy, the D3200 or the D5100?"
Mon 15-Oct-12 09:59 PM by jpFoto

US

Since this question comes up fairly often, you might want to check out these reviews by Thom Hogan. His reviews and comments are very well respected on this board. Having used both of these cameras somewhat extensively, I think that his reviews and comments mirror my own experience, but I should note that I had used all pro-glass or near pro-glass with both.

http://www.bythom.com/nikond3200review.htm

http://www.bythom.com/nikond5100review.htm

jP

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Which should you buy, the D3200 or the D5100?
MEMcD Moderator
16th Oct 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
16th Oct 2012
jpFoto
16th Oct 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
16th Oct 2012
jpFoto
16th Oct 2012
John Bertotti Silver Member
16th Oct 2012
pjonesCET Gold Member
17th Oct 2012
jpFoto
17th Oct 2012
pjonesCET Gold Member
18th Oct 2012
KnightPhoto Gold Member
07th Nov 2012
pjonesCET Gold Member
07th Nov 2012
KnightPhoto Gold Member
08th Nov 2012
MEMcD Moderator
08th Nov 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
09th Nov 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 16-Oct-12 02:02 AM
25591 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Which should you buy, the D3200 or the D5100?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi JP,

Thanks for the links.
I am sure many will find it very helpful.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Tue 16-Oct-12 01:12 PM
2906 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Which should you buy, the D3200 or the D5100?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

Hi JP,

Having both links in one spot is great. Thanks. As I recall from an earlier post you had both cameras and got rid of the D5100 but kept the D3200. Do you still have the D3200?

I have both cameras and use them both just about every day. I originally bought the D5100 because of it's high resolution sensor, articulating LCD and the ability to use all my manual focus lenses including the older pre-AI models. Manual focus and no metering doesn't bother me at all. Thom's review is very good. I only disagree with one point. That's the button placement. I much prefer all the buttons on the right side where I can easily press any of them with my thumb. I especially like where the Info button is versus on the lower left of the D3200.

Now to the D3200. Except for the buttons I agree totally with his review. I bought this camera solely for it's sensor. Shooting RAW and only using the kit 18-55mm VR lens is a joy. The photos from this combination sparkle and jump off the page with their very, very high detail and contrast. It reminds me of the way I viewed the photos from my D3X a few years ago when it was the best camera under $10,000 on the planet. I still feel that way.

One comment from Thom that is significant is where he says it is difficult to see the difference between photos taken with the D5100 and D3200. That's very true and you have to have very large prints to tell the difference. And like I said in the older thread, it would be very difficult to get rid of either one. That's why I still have both.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Tue 16-Oct-12 05:18 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Which should you buy, the D3200 or the D5100?"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue 16-Oct-12 05:23 PM by jpFoto

US

Hi Len

I don't have either camera anymore. I bought the D3200 as a lightweight travel camera for a trip to Europe and then bought the D5100 as a backup for the same trip. When I returned the D600 was available, and it just made better sense for me to have that camera since i had mostly FX glass. I had also bought a Nikkor 10-24 for the trip from Berger Bros and they bought it back from me when I returned. I wouldn't have purchased the 10-24 were it not for the DX format since I have wide glass for FX. So, that made the D600 even cheaper for me.

That being said, I found both of those cameras to be a delight although I was partial to the D3200 since i had owned it longer and used it more. I, literally couldn't get over the high resolution images that it produced, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if the need arose. I also had purchased one for my son shortly after I got mine, and he loves his also. I would have kept the D3200, but as we both know technology changes so fast and since I don't really need three cameras, I thought that it was economically prudent to just sell it and buy whatever is out there if and when I have the need. A fellow Nikonian, a pro, purchased mine and he made it a point to send me an email telling me that he was amazed at the image quality from that little camera.

As for the features on the D5100, I totally agree with you. It was definitely nice to have the extra buttons, the ability to bracket automatically, and I even used the articulating screen once to get a good shot that I couldn't have gotten with the D32000 without a ladder.

As we both know, everything is a trade-off. I would guess that the D5200 will probably be the best of both worlds, but probably quite a bit more money.

In looking at your equipment list, I note that you and I have owned some of the same fine cameras over the years, including the Hasselbald, the F and FTn, the F3HP, and the F4s.

Regards,

jP

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Tue 16-Oct-12 06:06 PM
2906 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Which should you buy, the D3200 or the D5100?"
In response to Reply # 4

Hatboro, Pa, US

JP,

My problem is I have a hard time willing to give up a camera once I've enjoyed using it. After I got my D3X I saw no reason for a D600 or D800 or even a D400 if one comes out. I like the idea of spending a little money for a lot of performance like the D5100 and D3200 give. I really am having a ball with both. I have plans to give one of them to my grand daughter if a D5200 comes out with a 24mp or greater sensor. She has shown a great interest in photography and now that she's started high school it's a perfect age to start learning a little more than what she's doing with a P&S.

Len

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Tue 16-Oct-12 07:03 PM
#6. "RE: Which should you buy, the D3200 or the D5100?"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Len

I forced myself to sell the Hasselblad, the F4S and most of my AIS lenses when I bought the D700 since I knew that I was never going to use them again. I did keep a number of film cameras that both my father and I had owned like the FE and FE2 and gave them to my kids with strict instructions not to sell them, but rather to keep them for the grand kids, not that it would be hard to pick up a film camera these days. Needless to say that my equipment list is considerably longer than I have listed, but I figure that a lot of people would have no idea what a Nikor stainless steel tank or a Weston meter is anyway. Like you, I consider my D3S to be all that I will really ever need, but I wanted something lighter for travel and the D600 really fit the bill since it was FX. Otherwise, I would have just kept the D3200 and maybe have purchased the D5200 when it came out.

jP

John Bertotti Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Tue 16-Oct-12 01:32 PM
569 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Which should you buy, the D3200 or the D5100?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 16-Oct-12 01:33 PM by John Bertotti

Garretson, US

Cool thanks for the links. I love my 3200 and the little niggles are just as pointed out. I get a laugh at some other reviews on line. Had I read cnet or some of the other reviews I may have skipped the 3200 and frankly that would have been a shame it really does do a good job. At least for how I use it. I do miss some extra control and weather sealing etc.

Corrected auto correct.

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Wed 17-Oct-12 03:35 PM
543 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: Which should you buy, the D3200 or the D5100?"
In response to Reply # 3

Martinsville, US

I would love to swap my 3000 for a 3200.
But ther are no camera stores locally the ones that were in the area Ritz and Wolfe are closing all of their physical stores and will be on line only.

Also I I've spent several hundred dollars for a 55-200 mm Lens and 35mm F1.8 lens. Plus I have the 18-55 mm lens that came with the camera

If I bought outright I would be wasting money.

I have an additional Battery. There is no way Anyone would take a battery in Trade

I would be better off ito get the body only but no one sells body only for the 3200. That I can find.

So although it takes great pictures, I am stuck with it.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Wed 17-Oct-12 05:53 PM
#8. "RE: Which should you buy, the D3200 or the D5100?"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Phil

I'm not suggesting that there is any reason to trade your camera, but if you were set on doing that, you should keep in mind that your other lenses, the 55-200 and the 35mm will work just fine on the new camera. The battery, however, will not. You could try selling your D3000 with the 18-55 on Craig's list, or you could call KEH or Adorama to see what it would be worth on a trade for a new kit with the 18-55. Or, maybe one of them has a used D3200 that you could trade for. Any way that you cut it, it's going to cost at least a few hundred dollars. The long and short of it is that if you're happy with your camera and the pictures that you are taking, there's no reason to trade. There will always be something "better" out there. Not everyone has to succumb to NAS.

jP

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Thu 18-Oct-12 04:03 PM
543 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#9. "RE: Which should you buy, the D3200 or the D5100?"
In response to Reply # 8

Martinsville, US

Its not so much NAS as my camera is just so outdated mine is the 10.2 Mp version and the 3200 is 24 mp that's over twice as large.

The dumb luck I had was that when I bough mine at full price at Sears, three days later I could have gotten the 3100. Which had far more MP's and the video. MY 3000 doesn't have video it can fake video but not the real thing. If I had big bucks I'd go for 7000 series.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Wed 07-Nov-12 02:38 AM
4184 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Which should you buy, the D3200 or the D5100?"
In response to Reply # 8

Alberta, CA

JP and others,

I'm advising a lady from work, she has a D40X currently which has the same sensor as Phillip's D3000 (and of course originally started out in the D200).

Anyhow, there are some smokin deals locally on D5100 body-only and D3200 body-only but I am not sure of the feature differences between D5100 and D3200. I am aware of and can advise the lady regarding:
- the differences between the two sensors (both are great in my books);
- swivel LCD vs. not.
- and I'll tell her to feel both cameras in her hand as that might prove important.

But beyond that what about any limitations she might encounter with:
- AF or metering or Auto-ISO;
- other features that might make a difference to a Green-auto shooter that will only just start dipping her toes into taking more control (I'm going to explain Aperture Priority and exposure compensation to her to get her started down that path).
- she has a good eye and composes well but I don't think fps, AI/AIS lenses, or other advanced topics will actually matter to her.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Wed 07-Nov-12 08:32 PM
#11. "RE: Which should you buy, the D3200 or the D5100?"
In response to Reply # 10

Martinsville, US

Exactly where are those 3200 Body sales. I have been on line and have yet to find anyone offering a 3200 Body kit only (What I mean by body hit is camera body, Battery(ies) and the Charger)

I already have a 3000 that take good pictures. Hasn't been used all that much. But I have already the standard 18-55mm lens and the 55-200 lens, a the 35 mm F1.8 lens everyone has bragged on. I don't need to waste and additional 200 bucks on stuff I don't need I'd even be willing to Trade my 3000 in.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Thu 08-Nov-12 12:09 AM
4184 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Which should you buy, the D3200 or the D5100?"
In response to Reply # 11

Alberta, CA

I'm looking at a couple local dealers in Canada, which might not work for you?

Regardless I'll confirm if actually in stock

Consider keeping your D3000 as second body, if you can't sell it. Or once you get your new body, list the D3000 for sale at Nikonians and Kijiji - no charge for ads placed there. Anyhow I'll keep you posted!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 08-Nov-12 03:40 AM
25591 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Which should you buy, the D3200 or the D5100?"

US

Hi Phillip,

>I don't need to waste and additional 200 bucks on
>stuff I don't need I'd even be willing to Trade my 3000 in.

In the past, when the entry level bodies have been offered body only, the price was only about $100.00 or so less than the body with 18-55mm VR. In effect buying the kit you are getting the lens for a $100.00 discount.

Unfortunatly the value of DSLR's drops like a rock when the next generation of bodies are introduced and even further as time passes.
This is true for every range from the Pro D_ Series, to the D_000 series bodies.
I would suspect that the entry level bodies would be much more difficult to sell without a lens which would reduce the return even more. Something to think about.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Fri 09-Nov-12 03:33 PM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Which should you buy, the D3200 or the D5100?"

HIXSON, US

Phiilip,

What Marty said. You would be better off selling the D3000 with kit lens & extra battery, and then buying either the D3200/D5100/D5200 with its kit lens or lenses.

I have seen D3200 body only (used) being offered for more than new D5100 body only.

I have virtually no experience on trading up.

Charlie

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6884 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.