Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3388
View in linear mode

Subject: "GPS for Nikon D3100" Previous topic | Next topic
muffybunny Registered since 21st Mar 2011Mon 21-Mar-11 06:52 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"GPS for Nikon D3100"

US

I've found several GPS units that are compatible with my camera, but I'm not finding great information about which one is the best. They all claim they're the best. Can anyone recommend one to this newbie and tell me why?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: GPS for Nikon D3100
natashachen
25th Mar 2011
muffybunny
25th Mar 2011
justindd
03rd Jun 2011
wellsiem
05th Jun 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
03rd Jun 2011
zulor
30th Sep 2012

natashachen Registered since 24th Mar 2011Fri 25-Mar-11 06:43 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: GPS for Nikon D3100"
In response to Reply # 0

CN

No company will claims their products are worse than competitor
I'm a D90 user and have same problems as you. D90 and D3100 have same ports so I assume the GPS units which can work with D3100 will work with my D90.
I'm struggling between Solmeta geotagger Pro and foolgraphy bluetooth GPS. Solmeta Pro is the only one camera GPS I found with LCD,internal battery,electronic compass(provide heading information), memory card and has "indoor lock" functions, all of these features attract me. The price is under $250, I think it worths. The foolgraphy stands for its bluetooth, cableless looks cute and smarter, however it doesn't include all the functions that Solmeta has.
So bluetooth or wired GPS, I need to take more time to make a decision.

muffybunny Registered since 21st Mar 2011Fri 25-Mar-11 01:01 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: GPS for Nikon D3100"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 25-Mar-11 01:02 PM by muffybunny

US

You definitely sound like you're in the same boat as me. I don't so much care about the cost, but I only want to spend it once. I don't wanna drop $300 on one only to figure out that another one is what I SHOULD have gotten. Hate that!

The foolgraphy does sound good.

justindd Registered since 09th May 2011Fri 03-Jun-11 08:31 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: GPS for Nikon D3100"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I don't own one, but check out EasyTagger as well as the Solmeta. Jeez, this is about the third time I've posted on this....there should be a special section on the top of the forums to talk about GPS units.

wellsiem Registered since 02nd Jun 2011Sun 05-Jun-11 05:13 AM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: GPS for Nikon D3100"
In response to Reply # 1

HK

$250 is not a small money. And what is the use of lcd screen? While taking photos, I want all my camera gadgets as simple as it can be.

What is the best? In my understanding, is the lock-on time and accuracy and also be simple, saving me all my effort to concentrate on capturing the beauty of the nature.

I read a lot good comments on Easytagger and Solmeta, and also Dawntech and Phottix, so my understanding is they are all good, just choose the most cost effective one.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 03-Jun-11 11:21 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: GPS for Nikon D3100"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 03-Jun-11 11:29 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

What do you mean as best?
Longest battery life?
Fastest satellite acquisition?
Most accurate?
Most features?

Note that accuracy is controlled by the controller of the GPS satellites, usually a country's military service. Weather and terrain can also affect the accuracy. Steel buildings, granite mountains, and dense vegetation can also affect the radio signals from the satellites.

Almost all have the same internal circuitry.

Many handheld GPS units track more data than the camera specific units.

Do you want your GPS to do more then tag your images?

I use the Garmin GPSMap 60CSx for land and water navigation as well as for tagging images.

You might also want to read the manual for the GPS you are interested in and see what data it collects and what data your camera can record. For example, Direction or heading can only be detected by many GPS units only if they are level to the horizon and orientated in same direction as the camera lens.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

zulor Registered since 30th Sep 2012Sun 30-Sep-12 06:20 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: GPS for Nikon D3100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Well there is very little information about hooking up your D3100 with GPS devices - and after much research I thought I would share the method that I went with.

First off, I opted to not use any of the "wired" methods as I think its inconvenient to do so for many reasons (I don't like taking up my hot shoe with things other than a flash, I hate holding a camera with wires hanging everywhere, etc..) In addition, most of the "wired" options are outrageously priced. And most of the "wired" units are powered by your camera's battery and thus are a nasty little power drain.

I went with the bluetooth option - A bluetooth adapter + bluetooth GPS receiver. This option will assure you MUCH less battery drain because the GPS receiver has its own power source. You'll only be powering the adapter which uses very little of your battery

This is how I did it:

I bought a bluetooth adapter that plugs into the GPS connection slot - it was called the AK-N90 and I bought it for $39.99 @ http://www.semsons.com/akblgpsadfor.html - the device is very small and it is still easy to handle the camera with it plugged in - personally, I hardly notice it. As stated above, the power drain is extremely small in that you would have to try very hard to notice the extra power drain on the battery.

Then I bought the GlobalSat BT-368i Bluetooth GPS Receiver for $24.00 @ http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018YZ836/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00 This GPS receiver is TINY. Haven't had any issues with it - battery lasts all day for me thus far. Just put it in your front pocket or something and move along.

Total cost for this option: $64.00 - Thus far it has worked perfectly all the time. Got a trip to Italy coming up, I'll let everyone know how it holds up over there. Either way, as it stands now, I would highly recommend this option. This option should also work well on the D90.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3388 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.