Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1360
View in linear mode

Subject: "White speckles in viewfinder" Previous topic | Next topic
phantomsailor Registered since 03rd Oct 2009Tue 16-Feb-10 09:56 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"White speckles in viewfinder"

Norwich, US

I got this question from a friend. Sounds different, Told her to check her Auto/Manual switch and for plastic film lense protecotrs. I'm not comfortable with my answers...and suggestions?

Hi Bruce

I got my camera today, brandy new! BUT when i attach the lens and look through viewfinder (man has that been a long time) it looks all blackish with white spots??? Like a film on there and white speckles all over while lens. I cleaned with lens cloth and cleaned viewfinder but still dark with tiny white specks everywhere,

No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen.
Minor White
Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: White speckles in viewfinder
MEMcD Moderator
16th Feb 2010
phantomsailor
16th Feb 2010
MEMcD Moderator
17th Feb 2010
phantomsailor
17th Feb 2010
phantomsailor
17th Feb 2010
MEMcD Moderator
17th Feb 2010
phantomsailor
18th Feb 2010

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 16-Feb-10 10:10 PM
25010 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: White speckles in viewfinder"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Bruce,

Is her camera a D5000?
What lens?
Is the lens locked in the mount?
Is the battery charged and installed in the camera?
The above are possible causes of a dark viewfinder.
The white speckles sound like it could be dust on the finder screen, though that should not happen on a brand new camera body.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

phantomsailor Registered since 03rd Oct 2009Tue 16-Feb-10 11:26 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: White speckles in viewfinder"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue 16-Feb-10 11:28 PM by phantomsailor

Norwich, US

It is a D5000 refurb and sold by Adorama

Battery is charged and Lense is locked.

I believe as this is a kit that it is the 18-55 VR kit lense. She said that some one told her the lens may have been burned out as in left in sun, She claims no optic problems but screen is gray with light specks. This is a friend from work and I have not physically seen the camera she got it today and contacted me with the problem.

Thank you

No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen.
Minor White

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 17-Feb-10 12:07 AM
25010 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: White speckles in viewfinder"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Bruce,

Pam, posted this question in the New Members forum and she has not installed the battery yet! My best guess it the viewfinder is dark because there is no battery in the camera!
Did installing the battery solve the problem?

Best Regards,
Marty

phantomsailor Registered since 03rd Oct 2009Wed 17-Feb-10 02:21 AM
#4. "RE: White speckles in viewfinder"
In response to Reply # 3

Norwich, US

Yes she did install the battery but she didn't charge it. Little hard to get the finer details thru e-mail. She is charging it overnite and will drop me/us a line in A.M. She's a great person, new but talented. Hope thats the solution. This site is great for help esp for new people or those like me that know enough tech stuff to get me in trouble.

Thanx a million

Minor White

phantomsailor Registered since 03rd Oct 2009Wed 17-Feb-10 04:34 PM
#5. "RE: White speckles in viewfinder"
In response to Reply # 4

Norwich, US

I heard from Pam today...she charged battery and all is well

Minor White

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 17-Feb-10 06:04 PM
#6. "RE: White speckles in viewfinder"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Bruce,

Great to hear!

Best Regards,
Marty

phantomsailor Registered since 03rd Oct 2009Thu 18-Feb-10 01:23 AM
#7. "RE: White speckles in viewfinder"
In response to Reply # 6

Norwich, US

Electronic gear always work best with a charged battery, inserted and camera turned on.

Minor White

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1360 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.