Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #87603
View in linear mode

Subject: "MIAMI - Where Is a Good Place to Go Photographing?" Previous topic | Next topic
CaptainYooh Platinum Member Nikonian since 27th Oct 2011Sat 23-Mar-13 08:11 PM
261 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"MIAMI - Where Is a Good Place to Go Photographing?"

Calgary, CA

Hey all:

We are spending a week in Hallandale Beach near Miami, FL. Where would be a good place for my son and I to go for some photo–shooting? Nice scenery? Wildlife?

Please and thanks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: MIAMI - Where Is a Good Place to Go Photographing?
largebore Silver Member
24th Mar 2013
agitater Gold Member
24th Mar 2013
CaptainYooh Platinum Member
25th Mar 2013
agitater Gold Member
25th Mar 2013
prreid Silver Member
25th Mar 2013
kidsthehall45 Silver Member
25th Mar 2013
DinoCardelli
25th Mar 2013
WPD Gold Member
25th Mar 2013
DinoCardelli
26th Mar 2013
CaptainYooh Platinum Member
27th Mar 2013
ericbowles Moderator
27th Mar 2013

largebore Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jan 2011Sun 24-Mar-13 10:56 AM
618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: MIAMI - Where Is a Good Place to Go Photographing?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 25-Mar-13 12:28 PM by largebore

Clarks Summit, US

>Hey all:
>
>We are spending a week in Hallandale Beach near Miami, FL.
>Where would be a good place for my son and I to go for some
>photo–shooting? Nice scenery? Wildlife?
>
>Please and thanks.
>
>

Everglades. Not too far away....

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sun 24-Mar-13 08:28 PM
4045 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: MIAMI - Where Is a Good Place to Go Photographing?"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Wildlife? There's tons of the bikini-clad kind - what you might call a veritable smorgasbord (with my sincerest apologies to female Nikonians reading this). An ideal spot for a father & son stroll.

Seriously, walk straight south on South Ocean Blvd. Ocean on the left (beaches, sand, people of all kinds), inland waterway on the right (massive homes, docked yachts). As you continue your walk south you'll go through Bar Harbor, Bal Harbor, Golden Beach and so on. Beautiful shops and galleries and classic Spanish-influenced and art-deco Florida architecture from the late 1800s all the way through the 1960s. It's as long or as short a walk as you want to make it. I owned at condo at Parker Plaza in Hallandale for many years and I walked the area many, many times all the way down to North Miami.

For more wildlife-like wildlife, try Everglades Safari Park - about 45 minutes (by car) southwest of Hallandale Beach.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

CaptainYooh Platinum Member Nikonian since 27th Oct 2011Mon 25-Mar-13 03:23 AM
261 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: MIAMI - Where Is a Good Place to Go Photographing?"
In response to Reply # 2

Calgary, CA

Wow, it's a small world! We are staying at Parker Plaza. Will go to the Everglades, I guess. Thanks!

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Mon 25-Mar-13 04:37 AM
4045 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: MIAMI - Where Is a Good Place to Go Photographing?"
In response to Reply # 3

Toronto, CA

>Wow, it's a small world! We are staying at Parker Plaza.
>Will go to the Everglades, I guess. Thanks!

Maybe not so small. A lot of Canucks have gone to that part of Fl for years and years. Have a blast.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

prreid Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2012Mon 25-Mar-13 06:32 PM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: MIAMI - Where Is a Good Place to Go Photographing?"
In response to Reply # 4

Naples, US

I agree,the Miami South Beach is a very colorful photo shoot. If you go across the bridge => Key Biscayne (I think the toll is ~$2.00 for a car)you will see lots of bikers and runners/walkers on the long bridge. After reaching the other side, hang a right-turn and go as far as you can where you will come to a park where you can have lunch and walk towards the end of the island. On your way you will see a great photo op in the form of a light house. Have a good time!

kidsthehall45 Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 17th Jul 2012Mon 25-Mar-13 06:44 PM
407 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: MIAMI - Where Is a Good Place to Go Photographing?"
In response to Reply # 5

Chicago, US

I second Key Biscane. Was there a couple years ago. Great photo ops. Really well aged trees, nice beaches, and birds. The (long) drive across the bridge is worth it by itself. Hope you have fun!

Joshua Williams
www.iamaprairie.com
Please visit my gallery

DinoCardelli Registered since 19th Oct 2010Mon 25-Mar-13 06:52 PM
236 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: MIAMI - Where Is a Good Place to Go Photographing?"
In response to Reply # 0

Plantation, US

I'm a native south floridian.

The evergaldes are not just the "everglades"...it a large place.

There are some nature trails in Everglades National Park down in Flamingo...from Hallandale, you are looking at 2 hour plus each way....it's a full day's adventure...while down there, great place called Robert-is-Here fruit stand and milkshake place...to die for.

There are close spots to "shoot the glades" like Holiday Park or Sawgrass where you could get a small boat with a 9 hp and go for a ride up and down the canals...surely to get a nice gator shot or some nice wildlife...it's about 30 min from Hallandale...just google it.

Check on the Flickr pages for a local meet up .....there could be on there during your trip..worth the effort.

South beach is a great spot for day's walk about...walk the strip and check out the Delano on Saturday for some great sites....lots of good people watching...in the same area, a walk is the Lincoln Road Mall...another people watching, shooting place.

The place mentoned, Key Biscayane is very nice for nature shots, and sunsets...you can see the entire bay with the hisotrical house on the water...there is a great seafood restaurant inside the park as well...

Other shots at the end of the of South Beach by Government Cut are very classic with the ships coming down the channel....Also, check out Coconut Grove for a walk about...nice Marina area for pics and Monty's Conch has some nice seafood.

Lastly, in the same area, is Viscaya, Matheson Hammock park for nature shots...both are on the bay....

Bring lots of sunscreen dress light and drink water...

dc

Visit my professional gallery.

WPD Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Feb 2010Mon 25-Mar-13 06:59 PM
101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: MIAMI - Where Is a Good Place to Go Photographing?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 25-Mar-13 08:55 PM by WPD

Naples,, US

You may want to also consider Shark Valley on Rt 41 just west of Miami has a fifteen mile loop in the park you take a shuttle you can, walk it, rent bikes on site gators all over the place depending on the time of year birds will be roosting also has old oil rig encased in cement with a winding ramp you walk up a view for miles lots of fun. Down the road a little bit is a air boat ride. The location is about 20-25 minutes from Miami

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

DinoCardelli Registered since 19th Oct 2010Tue 26-Mar-13 08:30 AM
236 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: MIAMI - Where Is a Good Place to Go Photographing?"
In response to Reply # 8

Plantation, US

Yep, totally forgot about the Shark Valley.....good suggestion...

Of course, if the OP is adventerous, you could always head over to Everglades City for the day (about 1.5 hours from Hallandale) via Alligator Alley for some shooting of "old Florida" and some time at the crabber's docks for stone crabs and friedn shrimp on the river.

dc

Visit my professional gallery.

CaptainYooh Platinum Member Nikonian since 27th Oct 2011Wed 27-Mar-13 12:50 AM
#10. "RE: MIAMI - Where Is a Good Place to Go Photographing?"
In response to Reply # 9

Calgary, CA

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Time is a big factor.

We went to Key Largo, approx. 2 hr drive each way from Hallandale. Took a 2-hr boat tour through the mangroves. Mangroves are quite scenic but not too many great photo ops, unfortunately. We did see a few good birds - white heron, blue crane and a stilt (?), although not too close for a good shot. A young manatee swam right to our boat and followed us for a while, probably expecting some feed but that's about it.

We had some nice fish and seafood at Big Chill and finished it off with the world famous Key Lime Pie at Mrs Mac's Kitchen.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 27-Mar-13 09:36 AM
8578 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: MIAMI - Where Is a Good Place to Go Photographing?"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

One thing you might find fun is to shoot RAW but switch your camera to Monochrome. That will allow you to shoot B&W and experience a "retro" style typical of old Miami Beach.

Shark Valley is a good spot, but I prefer it as a morning location. The canal on the main road is to the west of the road - which mean afternoon images are all shot into the sun.

If you visit Shark Valley, you might want to include a visit to Clyde Butcher's photo gallery in Big Cypress Swamp. It's located a short drive west of Shark Valley. Butcher is the modern day Ansel Adams. He makes his photographic home in the swamps of south Florida rather than Yosemite, but the work is just as impressive. It's worth a trip.
http://www.clydebutchersbigcypressgallery.com/directions

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #87603 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.