nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

How Would You Do This?

laddad

Kinston, NC, US
1252 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
laddad Gold Member Nikonian since 14th Nov 2005
Thu 04-Oct-12 02:41 AM | edited Thu 04-Oct-12 08:28 PM by laddad

A few months back a professional photographer in my community died unexpectantly. Sometime later I commented to his wife that if desired I would help her assign values to some of his equipment should she decide to sale it. He was a Nikon user and I have been a Nikon aficionado for over 30 years. I felt that I was most appropriate for the task. Now it appears to be more of a task than I originally thought. Thirty-five millimeter film cameras, Medium format cameras, digital cameras, manual focus lenses, autofocus lenses, enlargers, filters, caps, etc. It is simply amazing how much equipment someone can amass in thirty or forty years.

I explained to the widow that assigning a value was only part of the task and making a connection to the potential buyer was just as formidable. First the equipment needs to be evaluated and lenses cleaned etc. I also explained that some of the older equipment that may have been dear to him may little value in the marketplace. Options for direct sales include: Nikonians, EBay, Used counter at the local camera shop. Quick sale but less money would be liquidation through dealers like KEH etc. One benefit of volunteering to help is that I get to review the collection of wonderful camera gear before it goes on the chopping block. I have chosen to purchase a well-used Nikon AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8. I will honestly assign a value based on KEH criteria and pay her for this item. There are many items that I would love to add to my present Nikon collection but I’m not sure that I could ever justify them to my wife!

My question: If you were to help this lady liquidate the huge collection of camera equipment, how would go about the task? This is part of his legacy and her profit needs to be maximized. How would you do it?

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How Would You Do This? agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
04th Oct 2012
Reply message RE: How Would You Do This? laddad Gold Member
04th Oct 2012
     Reply message RE: How Would You Do This? yelcab
04th Oct 2012
05th Oct 2012
               Reply message RE: How Would You Do This? agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
05th Oct 2012
05th Oct 2012
               Reply message RE: How Would You Do This? Nitehawk5169 Gold Member
18th Oct 2012
Reply message RE: How Would You Do This? JBS101 Silver Member
05th Oct 2012
Reply message RE: How Would You Do This? kennoll Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
06th Oct 2012
18th Oct 2012
     Reply message RE: How Would You Do This? kennoll Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
18th Oct 2012
18th Oct 2012
Reply message RE: How Would You Do This? RockyIII Gold Member
18th Oct 2012
Reply message RE: How Would You Do This? ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
18th Oct 2012
18th Oct 2012
     Reply message RE: How Would You Do This? ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
18th Oct 2012

G