Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #156783
View in linear mode

Subject: "Deer at Shiloh " Previous topic | Next topic
dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sat 18-May-13 09:10 PM
11487 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Deer at Shiloh "

Lowden, US

The Shiloh battlefield is pretty remote and has abundant wildlife. This deer gave me one of the best shooting opportunities of the day.

D800 | Sigma 120-300/2.8 + 1.4TC (non-OS version)
f/4 | 1/160s | ISO-1600

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Deer at Shiloh
Rassie Silver Member
19th May 2013
dm1dave Administrator
19th May 2013
coolmom42 Silver Member
19th May 2013
dm1dave Administrator
19th May 2013
latessa Silver Member
19th May 2013
dm1dave Administrator
19th May 2013
cockers Silver Member
19th May 2013
dm1dave Administrator
19th May 2013
Gerard Pas Silver Member
19th May 2013
dm1dave Administrator
20th May 2013
VR8 Silver Member
19th May 2013
dm1dave Administrator
20th May 2013
DaddySS Gold Member
20th May 2013
dm1dave Administrator
20th May 2013
Jim Pearce Silver Member
20th May 2013
dm1dave Administrator
20th May 2013
Lunastar Silver Member
20th May 2013
dm1dave Administrator
21st May 2013

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Sun 19-May-13 01:42 AM
2885 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Deer at Shiloh "
In response to Reply # 0

Milton, CA

Very nice, Dave.
This deer seems clearly aware of you. The eye contact is great.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 19-May-13 03:28 AM
11487 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Deer at Shiloh "
In response to Reply # 1

Lowden, US

Thanks Rassie!

We came upon this on a curve of a narrow road. They were very close – I am surprised it stuck around long enough for me to get a shot.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Sun 19-May-13 01:50 AM
3043 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Deer at Shiloh "
In response to Reply # 0

McEwen, US

Dave, you made it south to Tennessee! Glad to see you found some good shooting opportunities. Very nice image.

I hope you got to spend some time in our beautiful state.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 19-May-13 03:31 AM
#4. "RE: Deer at Shiloh "
In response to Reply # 2

Lowden, US

Thanks Diane!

We had a great trip through Tennessee. We drove up the Natchez Trace Parkway from the Alabama border almost all the way to Nashville. Tennessee is a beautiful state.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

latessa Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Nov 2009Sun 19-May-13 08:44 AM
141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Deer at Shiloh "
In response to Reply # 0

GB

I must say that is probably the best deer shot I have seen in this forum. The subject isolation from the surrounding trees, but still very much part of it, is excellent. Seeing the photo first I thought it was taken with your 400f2.8, but was surprised to see it was taken with the Sigma. Obviously a good lens, in the right hands of course.

Eddie

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 19-May-13 05:11 PM
#7. "RE: Deer at Shiloh "
In response to Reply # 5

Lowden, US

Thanks Eddie!

This is one of my best deer shots to date. The Sigma is a very good lens – I just don’t get it on the camera very much. It is much easier to use from the driver’s seat of the car. I think this lens (especially the new OS version) is one of the great values in super telephoto land. With the 1.4TC it is quit comparable to the 200-400VR at half the price.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Sun 19-May-13 11:03 AM
4232 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Deer at Shiloh "
In response to Reply # 0

Plover, US

Excellent capture Dave - Pin sharp. It seems a tiny bit too centered to my eye. . . might crop a bit of the right.

Al

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 19-May-13 05:12 PM
#8. "RE: Deer at Shiloh "
In response to Reply # 6

Lowden, US

Thanks Al!

I think you are correct – I had to crop some of the left side due to OOF foreground distractions so it could use a little trimming on the right.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

Gerard Pas Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2008Sun 19-May-13 05:42 PM
4543 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Deer at Shiloh "
In response to Reply # 0

Snowsquall, CA

I've become "facebooktized" I keep looking for the "like" button.
Suffice it to say I like!

Gerard Pas

Ars est celare artem — It is true art to conceal art.
http://www.gerardpas.com

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 20-May-13 03:37 AM
#13. "RE: Deer at Shiloh "
In response to Reply # 9

Lowden, US

Thanks Gerard!

Facebook is evil

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Sun 19-May-13 08:37 PM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Deer at Shiloh "
In response to Reply # 0

Ottawa, CA

Nice detail, though I see are so fleeting it is hard to get them in focus and in the light! This is really nice.

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 20-May-13 03:38 AM
#14. "RE: Deer at Shiloh "
In response to Reply # 10

Lowden, US

Thanks Victor!

Same problem with deer here – a lot of hunting so they spook easily. It is also harder to get a decent background in the fame land around eastern Iowa.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

DaddySS Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2006Mon 20-May-13 12:48 AM
822 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Deer at Shiloh "
In response to Reply # 0

Woodcliff Lake, US

Really nice! The sharpness and detail are remarkable.

Richard

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 20-May-13 03:39 AM
#15. "RE: Deer at Shiloh "
In response to Reply # 11

Lowden, US

Thank you Richard!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Mon 20-May-13 01:00 AM
4397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Deer at Shiloh "
In response to Reply # 0

Grimsby, CA

One of those shots where everything worked Dave. If I didn't already have a 300 f2.8 VR - which works really well from the car too - I'd be buying the Sigma next week!

Jim

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 20-May-13 03:40 AM
#16. "RE: Deer at Shiloh "
In response to Reply # 12

Lowden, US

Thanks Jim!

I should break out this lens more often.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

Lunastar Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Mon 20-May-13 11:12 PM
3164 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Deer at Shiloh "
In response to Reply # 16

Mankato, US

Great capture, Dave! Nice to see more deer here. The Siggy 120-300/2.8 could be the ideal woods/whitetail glass.

Mark

www.mercuryoutdoorcommunications.com

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 21-May-13 03:08 AM
#18. "RE: Deer at Shiloh "
In response to Reply # 17

Lowden, US

Thanks Mark!

I always like to see your deer shots.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #156783 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.