Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #47671
View in linear mode

Subject: "320 vs. 250 FP sync?" Previous topic | Next topic
fsk Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2008Thu 11-Mar-10 10:46 AM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"320 vs. 250 FP sync?"

DE

If I choose to work in High Speed Sync; can someone enlighten me when to use the 320 and when to choose the 250 option on my D300. Any advantages or disadvantages?

Thanks

Frank

www.fskphotography.de

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: 320 vs. 250 FP sync?
Arkayem Moderator
11th Mar 2010
Arkayem Moderator
11th Mar 2010
fsk Silver Member
11th Mar 2010
ScottChapin Moderator
11th Mar 2010
Arkayem Moderator
11th Mar 2010
MEMcD Moderator
11th Mar 2010
ScottChapin Moderator
11th Mar 2010
MEMcD Moderator
11th Mar 2010
ScottChapin Moderator
11th Mar 2010
MEMcD Moderator
11th Mar 2010
Arkayem Moderator
12th Mar 2010
fsk Silver Member
12th Mar 2010

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberThu 11-Mar-10 07:09 PM
5985 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 320 vs. 250 FP sync?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>If I choose to work in High Speed Sync; can someone enlighten
>me when to use the 320 and when to choose the 250 option on my
>D300. Any advantages or disadvantages?
>
>Thanks
>
>Frank
>
>www.fskphotography.de

Hi Frank,

When you set the flash sync to 1/250th, you will get the full power of the flash at 1/250th shutter.

If you set the flash sync to 1/320th, then the maximum flash power decreases if the shutter speed is set to 1/320th.

It turns out that the tail of the flash pulse is always chopped off, but at speeds of 1/250th and below, the reduction in power with the shutter set right at sync speed is negligible. However, if you select 1/320th as the flash sync speed, and you select 1/320th shutter speed, then you do see a significant reduction in maximum flash power.

I have written a blog about this with more details here:
http://nikonclspracticalguide.blogspot.com/2009/03/15-when-is-full-power-flash-not-full.html

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberThu 11-Mar-10 07:56 PM
5985 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: 320 vs. 250 FP sync?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 11-Mar-10 07:56 PM by Arkayem

>If I choose to work in High Speed Sync; can someone enlighten
>me when to use the 320 and when to choose the 250 option on my
>D300. Any advantages or disadvantages?

In reading over my previous answer, I see that I didn't answer your question about when to use the two FP Sync speeds.

If you want to use 1/320th shutter speed and flash, you have two choices: 1) Use 1/250th Sync Speed and Auto FP High Speed Sync, or 2) use 1/320th and normal sync.

If you choose 2) you will get slightly more power from your flash, even though you lose some from cutting off more of the tail, because normal sync is about a stop more efficient than Auto FP High Speed Sync.

Russ
Nikonian Team Member

fsk Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2008Thu 11-Mar-10 09:44 PM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: 320 vs. 250 FP sync?"
In response to Reply # 2

DE

Hi Russ,

thanks for the explanation and the link to your blog.

If I get you right than you have the option to choose if you're shooting between 1/250 FP and 1/320 FP sync only when shooting with one of the two shutter speeds.

Nevertheless, the big advantage in using FP sync is to shoot at even higher shutter speeds, say 1/4000 sec. In knowing that the reach is pretty limited in the FP sync mode, is there any difference in choosing 250 FP or 320 FP? Or is 320 FP the only way to go if the bright daylight only allows higher shutter speeds (given an open aperture to blur the background nicely)?

Or to put it another way; am I right in choosing 320 FP sync if my chosen shutter speed is faster?

Frank

www.fskphotography.de

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberThu 11-Mar-10 10:05 PM
8044 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: 320 vs. 250 FP sync?"
In response to Reply # 3
Thu 11-Mar-10 10:07 PM by ScottChapin

Powder Springs, US

Correct me if i'm wrong Russ, but when shooting faster than 1/320 it doesn't matter. The flash power will be the same regardless of your chosen FP sync setting.

It's only at 1/320 where it matters. FP sync will not kick in until that speed is exceeded when that is the FP sync speed chosen, so when set to normal sync you will get more power than in FP, but less power than when set to normal sync at speeds less than or equal to 1/250.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberThu 11-Mar-10 10:53 PM
#6. "RE: 320 vs. 250 FP sync?"
In response to Reply # 4

>Correct me if i'm wrong Russ, but when shooting faster than
>1/320 it doesn't matter. The flash power will be the same
>regardless of your chosen FP sync setting.
>
>It's only at 1/320 where it matters. FP sync will not kick in
>until that speed is exceeded when that is the FP sync speed
>chosen, so when set to normal sync you will get more power
>than in FP, but less power than when set to normal sync at
>speeds less than or equal to 1/250.

Hi Scott,

This subject is very hard to explain, and I probably wasn't too clear on my previous post.

The issue I am discussing only happens when the flash is firing at or near full power.

If you select 1/320th flash sync, the flash will stay in normal sync all the way up to 1/320th shutter. However, if the flash is firing at full power, and the shutter speed goes above 1/250th, a significant part of the tail is lost because it would extend out longer than the shutter is open.

You see, the actual length of the full power flash is about 8ms and the 1/320th shutter open time is only 3.1 ms. That means 4.9 ms of the flash tail is lost.

At 1/250th sync speed, the shutter is open 4.0 ms, so only 4.0 ms of the tail is lost.

Now, there isn't much flash power in the tail from 4-8 ms (about 90% of the flash power is in the first 4.0 ms), so when the sync is 1/250th, and the shutter is 1/250th, there is not much noticeable drop in flash power. But when the sync is set at 1/320th, and the shutter is at 1/320th, there is a noticeable drop due to the loss of 3.1-8 ms of the tail.

But the drop in power is less than when using 1/250th sync and letting the flash go into FP Sync assuming you want to use 1/320th shutter, so it is up to you which sync speed to use.

I know this is all very confusing. I think it would help to study the blog "When is Full PowerFlash not Full Power".
http://nikonclspracticalguide.blogspot.com/2009/03/15-when-is-full-power-flash-not-full.html

Russ
Nikonian Team Member

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 11-Mar-10 10:44 PM
25562 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: 320 vs. 250 FP sync?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Frank,

If you have the camera set to 1/320th Auto FP when using shutter speeds between 1/250th sec. and 1/320th sec. the flash range will drop but you will get a greater range than if you use 1/250th sec. Auto FP. (see page 289 in the D300 Users Manual). At Shutter Speeds faster than 1/320th sec. the flash range will be reduced the same amount it either mode.
In other words you gain a little more range if you set Custom setting e1 to 1/320th Auto FP when you use shutter speeds up to 1/320th sec.

Yes!
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberThu 11-Mar-10 11:04 PM
8044 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: 320 vs. 250 FP sync?"
In response to Reply # 5

Powder Springs, US

>In other words you gain a little more range if you set Custom
>setting e1 to 1/320th Auto FP when you use shutter speeds up
>to 1/320th sec.

AND greater than 1/250th right? Since there are no shutter speeds between 1/250 and 1/320, all of this only applies when you want to shoot at 1/320th right?

1. Normal sync maximizes power at 1/250 and slower, when normal sync is set to 1/250.

2. FP sync at 1/250 or 1/320 has no affect on speeds greater than 1/320.

3. At 1/320 an FP sync of 1/320 uses normal sync and gives more power than FP but less than normal due to the tail of the flash being cut off.....no?

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 11-Mar-10 11:25 PM
25562 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: 320 vs. 250 FP sync?"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Hi Scott,

>AND greater than 1/250th right? Since there are no shutter
>speeds between 1/250 and 1/320, all of this only applies when
>you want to shoot at 1/320th right?

Unless I am mistaken, in Aperture priority mode or Program mode the camera can control the shutter speed continuously, even between 1/3 stop increments.

>1. Normal sync maximizes power at 1/250 and slower, when
>normal sync is set to 1/250.

Yes!

>2. FP sync at 1/250 or 1/320 has no affect on speeds greater
>than 1/320.

Aside from reducing the maximum range as the shutter speed increases.

>3. At 1/320 an FP sync of 1/320 uses normal sync and gives
>more power than FP but less than normal due to the tail of the
>flash being cut off.....no?

Yes!

Best Regards,
Marty

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberThu 11-Mar-10 11:43 PM
#9. "RE: 320 vs. 250 FP sync?"
In response to Reply # 8

Powder Springs, US

>Hi Scott,
>
>
>
>>AND greater than 1/250th right? Since there are no
>shutter
>>speeds between 1/250 and 1/320, all of this only applies
>when
>>you want to shoot at 1/320th right?
>
>Unless I am mistaken, in Aperture priority mode or Program
>mode the camera can control the shutter speed continuously,
>even between 1/3 stop increments.
>

That's right, I ws thinking of descrete user selected speeds. The window between 1/250 and 1/320 is pretty small.

>>1. Normal sync maximizes power at 1/250 and slower, when
>>normal sync is set to 1/250.
>
>Yes!
>
>>2. FP sync at 1/250 or 1/320 has no affect on speeds
>greater
>>than 1/320.
>
>Aside from reducing the maximum range as the shutter speed
>increases.

Yes, but what I was driving at is that the power level curve is the same regardless of which FP sync you choose when shooting faster than 1/320.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 11-Mar-10 11:50 PM
#10. "RE: 320 vs. 250 FP sync?"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Hi Scott,

Sorry for the mis-interpretation.
Yes! As you stated, the power level curve is the same!

Best Regards,
Marty

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberFri 12-Mar-10 12:09 AM
#11. "RE: 320 vs. 250 FP sync?"
In response to Reply # 7

>
>>In other words you gain a little more range if you set
>Custom
>>setting e1 to 1/320th Auto FP when you use shutter speeds
>up
>>to 1/320th sec.
>
>AND greater than 1/250th right? Since there are no shutter
>speeds between 1/250 and 1/320, all of this only applies when
>you want to shoot at 1/320th right?

Yes, exactly right.

>1. Normal sync maximizes power at 1/250 and slower, when
>normal sync is set to 1/250.

Yes, again, exactly right!

>2. FP sync at 1/250 or 1/320 has no affect on speeds greater
>than 1/320.

Right again!

>3. At 1/320 an FP sync of 1/320 uses normal sync and gives
>more power than FP but less than normal due to the tail of the
>flash being cut off.....no?

Bingo!

Russ
Nikonian Team Member

fsk Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2008Fri 12-Mar-10 07:38 AM
#12. "RE: 320 vs. 250 FP sync?"
In response to Reply # 11

DE

Thanks for the information.

I appreciate the time you've taken to go into that detail.

Frank

www.fskphotography.de

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #47671 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.