Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #10777
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon EN-EL14 Battery" Previous topic | Next topic
SRFast Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2004Wed 17-Oct-12 10:56 AM
1445 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon EN-EL14 Battery"

New York City, US

I am looking for a second battery for my P7000 because a fully charged battery is only good for approx. 300 shots. I usually buy Nikon OEM batteries for my cameras, but I am interested in hearing about any third party battery experiences.

TIA....JL

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon EN-EL14 Battery
DaveWooster
10th Nov 2012
SRFast Silver Member
11th Nov 2012
DaveWooster
04th Dec 2012
     Reply message RE: Nikon EN-EL14 Battery replacement per Radio Shack
DaveWooster
17th Dec 2012
SRFast Silver Member
17th Dec 2012
DaveWooster
18th Feb 2013
jec6613 Silver Member
13th Feb 2013
DaveWooster
18th Feb 2013
DaveWooster
18th Feb 2013
rbaskin Silver Member
23rd Feb 2013
avigar Silver Member
03rd Jul 2013

DaveWooster Registered since 10th Nov 2012Sat 10-Nov-12 10:38 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon EN-EL14 Battery"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 10-Nov-12 10:46 PM by DaveWooster

Topeka, US

JL,

I would first check where your current Nikon battery was made and its "capacity" rating in milli Ampere Hours (or mAHr for short). If it was made in China, you probably can do better looking for one made in Japan (but you will pay more for it). Also, ask the capacity rating of any replacement prospect you find, and compare it to your Nikon's. And any spare is probably better than none, especially if you do not have a battery tester, or digital voltage meter (usually called a multimeter) to monitor your battery's condition. (The camera itself should help you monitor that.)

I see the country you're located in is the USA. I think the Promaster brand replacement for your Nikon is made in China, but the its price may be attractive if your dealer sells below suggested retail price. (Mine does.)

Finally, others here will have to please help with your specific Nikon camera's/battery's details.

-----
Dave W. in the USA

SRFast Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2004Sun 11-Nov-12 01:33 AM
1445 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon EN-EL14 Battery"
In response to Reply # 1

New York City, US

Thanks for your reply Dave. I usually buy Nikon genuine batteries, but would go third party if someone had a good experience with a particular brand.

Regards....JL

DaveWooster Registered since 10th Nov 2012Tue 04-Dec-12 01:37 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon EN-EL14 Battery"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue 04-Dec-12 01:41 AM by DaveWooster

Topeka, US

JL and all,

I mentioned the Promaster brand, but after looking in their catalog, I found no replacement for an EN-EL14.

One other way I search is on RadioShack.com . They have a "battery finder".

Good luck.

DaveWooster Registered since 10th Nov 2012Mon 17-Dec-12 12:01 AM
#4. "RE: Nikon EN-EL14 Battery replacement per Radio Shack"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon 17-Dec-12 12:05 AM by DaveWooster

Topeka, US

JL and all,

The only "replacement" I see on the Radio Shack site is branded Dantona and made in China, for $30, by mail order only.

Battery Model: CAM-ENEL14 and Catalog #: 55054163.

"Recommended Use: Nikon COOLPIX P7000, P7100." per Radio Shack.

Capacity: 950 mAh (milli Ampere hours; see my first post above).

There is only one customer review posted so far on it, on this page:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12886235

That reviewer in New Mexico says it does NOT work in his Nikon D3100.

And Nikon seems to say that the D3100 battery IS the EN-EL14.

So a bit of caution seems to be in order. (Sorry, I have no clear answer.)

- Dave W.

SRFast Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2004Mon 17-Dec-12 12:54 AM
#5. "RE: Nikon EN-EL14 Battery replacement per Radio Shack"
In response to Reply # 4

New York City, US

Dave,
The only clear and unfortunately the most costly answer is to buy genuine Nikon Batteries. I just picked up a Nikon 1 V2 and that uses the EN-EL21 battery so I will be purchasing one as a back up in the near future.

Regards...JL

DaveWooster Registered since 10th Nov 2012Mon 18-Feb-13 01:33 AM
#8. "RE: Nikon EN-EL14 Battery replacement per Radio Shack"
In response to Reply # 4

Topeka, US

More on my last post (just above):

The ProMaster replacement lists at $59, but my dealer sells it for $50. Its PRO "code" number is 3326.

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Wed 13-Feb-13 12:30 AM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon EN-EL14 Battery"
In response to Reply # 0

Norwalk, US

Only go with Nikon - I know how much it hurts, I have four EN-EL14's.

Besides capacity and reliability problems with third party batteries. Despite wherever the battery is stamped per US labeling laws, all Nikon Li-Ion cells are currently made in Japan by a known supplier, and assembled elsewhere.

The real problem, however, comes with compatibility: any older third party battery won't work with the D5200, for instance. As newer cameras come out, the third party makers must remake their batteries to work with the newer Nikon lockouts (which of course still accept all older Nikon batteries).

The good news is that the P7000, P7100, P7700, D3100, D3200, D5100 and D5200 (so far) take the EN-EL14, so it is one (along with the EN-EL15) that Nikon is standardizing on, allowing you to hold onto it and use it in later cameras you may buy.

DaveWooster Registered since 10th Nov 2012Mon 18-Feb-13 01:01 AM
#7. "RE: Nikon EN-EL14 Battery"
In response to Reply # 6
Mon 18-Feb-13 01:09 AM by DaveWooster

Topeka, US

Readers, the genuine Nikon that has been referred to here lists at $55 US but is on sale at my local dealer's for $50. (That seems pretty reasonable but still priced higher than the Dantona mentioned.)

Refernce page for the Nikon: http://www.wolfes.com/index.php/accessories/batteries/lithium-ion/nikon-en-el14-rechargeable-li-ion-battery.html
-------------------------------------------------------------

Update: The P.R.O. Group offers a $50 replacement with seemingly at least as much capacity as the Nikon. Model number: ProMaster EN-EL14.

Reference page for the PRO: http://www.wolfes.com/index.php/accessories/batteries/lithium-ion/promaster-en-el14-battery.html (Does not say where the cells are made or assembly is done.)

And as JL said at the start, "... I am interested in hearing about any third party battery experiences."

DaveWooster Registered since 10th Nov 2012Mon 18-Feb-13 01:36 AM
#9. "RE: Nikon EN-EL14 Battery"
In response to Reply # 7
Mon 18-Feb-13 01:36 AM by DaveWooster

Topeka, US

Here is an update on my post just above this one:

The ProMaster replacement lists for $59, but my dealer sells it for $50. The PRO "code" or part number for it is 3326.

rbaskin Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2007Sat 23-Feb-13 01:38 AM
338 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Nikon EN-EL14 Battery"
In response to Reply # 9

Ridgefield, US

It seems that Amazon is selling the Nikon branded EN-EL14 for $38.35 (Nikon's site has it listed at $40.95).

Seems to be a reasonable increment to pay over 3rd party brands to get a known entity.

Ralph in CT

avigar Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Nov 2006Wed 03-Jul-13 04:58 PM
486 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nikon EN-EL14 Battery"
In response to Reply # 10
Wed 03-Jul-13 05:01 PM by avigar

Northern IL, US

I've had great results with generics purchased from bestbatt.com. Their batteries also carry a 1 year warranty. Their EN-EL14 replacement is rated at 1200mah. It's selling for $22 and is in stock. Be sure to use the online coupon on their homepage to get an extra 6% off your order.

http://www.bestbatt.com/Nikon-EN-EL14-Battery-p/bbenel14.htm

--Ben

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon Coolpix Users Group (Public) topic #10777 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.