Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS I Want to Sell topic #107605
View in linear mode

Subject: "I want to apologize" Previous topic | Next topic
kkeesy Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2006Sat 17-Nov-12 10:56 PM
271 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"I want to apologize"

New Haven, US

A few weeks ago I listed a D2Xs for sale.We had a house fire and I lost almost everything in my computer room.I think the modem caused it.The loss was around $ 30,000 dollars.Cameras, lenses, hard drives, and about twenty years worth of slides.All that survived were a D7000 and one D2Xs that were in the shop.The insurance company is giving me a hard time.Anyone with that much equipment must be a Pro,which is not covered.I have an attorney that is trying to help.I forgot about the listing and am sorry I didn't follow through.It is a sick feeling.If I recover the first thing I'm going to do is to go with an online backup.This laptop is all I've got right now with an assortment of images.It's like starting all over...just hope the insurance comes through.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: I want to apologize
mklass Platinum Member
17th Nov 2012
Coldfront Silver Member
18th Nov 2012
tfeazel Silver Member
18th Nov 2012
bacil
18th Nov 2012
NatureDon Silver Member
18th Nov 2012
rjbedell Silver Member
18th Nov 2012
kkeesy Silver Member
18th Nov 2012
skibbyshot Silver Member
19th Nov 2012
aces1202
22nd Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Schedule your equipment
aces1202
22nd Nov 2012
D3Xwannabe Gold Member
19th Nov 2012
Artaxerxes Gold Member
25th Nov 2012

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 17-Nov-12 11:54 PM
5908 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: I want to apologize"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

Seems like a post here should be the least of your worries.

Good Luck on getting everything resolved.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Coldfront Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2004Sun 18-Nov-12 03:48 PM
265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: I want to apologize"
In response to Reply # 1

Marengo, US

Mick so sorry to hear of your loss! Years ago in the film days I had a breakin and robbery.The ins co.questioned two F2s and and quite a few lens also high end audio equip and tools. I brought the manuals and boxes in and they paid for the loss. I know this is different than your situation but I aso have had to start over. It took years and I never did replace some things, so I know ow you feel. Look to your brother Nikonians for support and if we can help in any way please don't hesitate.best jim

Coldfront

tfeazel Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Sep 2004Sun 18-Nov-12 01:07 AM
448 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: I want to apologize"
In response to Reply # 0

Polk City, US

No apologies are necessary.

$30,000 sounds like a lot of camera equipment, but a serious amateur will easily accumulate that much equipment in only a few years. I probably have a good bit more than that, and I moved to Nikon digital only a couple of years ago.
I'm very sorry to hear that this disaster has befallen you.
I don't know how we can help you in this matter, but i'm sure I speak for all Nikonians in wishing you the best.
Tom,

Tom

bacil Basic MemberSun 18-Nov-12 02:26 AM
420 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: I want to apologize"
In response to Reply # 0

Excelsior, US

Wish you the best.

NatureDon Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Nov 2007Sun 18-Nov-12 10:47 AM
929 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: I want to apologize"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Howard, very nice of you to think of Nikonians and post an apology, although certainly unnecessary. Your concern at a time like this is a tribute to the folks who gather here. Best wishes as you work through this and re-group.

Kind regards,
Don

rjbedell Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Feb 2010Sun 18-Nov-12 05:27 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: I want to apologize"
In response to Reply # 0

Bala Cynwyd, US

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Years ago, I, too, had a break-in. Only lost an old Canon FTN (my wife's). After that, I went back and checked my insurance.

For not much money, I added cameras and lenses as "scheduled property" under my home policy. My D90 and 18-105mm cost $25 per year (reminds me I need to add some new lenses to this) - not that much and not subject to the standard deductible. AND the insurance company can't give you a hard time about the amount/cost of the equipment, if you have it scheduled with them beforehand. They list the equipment with serial numbers on my policy.

Not sure about hard drives, slides, etc. - off-site and/or backups probably best for those items.

Maybe other Nikonians have some insights on how best to insure equipment. There are a lot of "non-Pros" out there with serious investments in equipment.

kkeesy Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2006Sun 18-Nov-12 11:05 PM
271 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: I want to apologize"
In response to Reply # 6

New Haven, US

Thanks to everyone.I also founf out I lost mu dad's 1928 high school diploma.Also all of his WW II pictures,really sad.

skibbyshot Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006Mon 19-Nov-12 11:13 AM
134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: I want to apologize"
In response to Reply # 7

Little Falls, US

Very sorry to hear of your loss....

FYI - years ago, a friend suffered a fire at his house. He hired a company that sued (or somehow represented his interests against the company)the Insurance Company. From what he told me, he rcovered very, very nicely. He felt that with just the Ins. Co. he would not have done nearly as well.

This is from my impression of what he told me, but I hope that it helps you in some way.

KEN

aces1202 Registered since 12th Mar 2008Thu 22-Nov-12 02:57 PM
314 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: I want to apologize"
In response to Reply # 8

Wilmington, US

>Very sorry to hear of your loss....
>
>FYI - years ago, a friend suffered a fire at his house. He
>hired a company that sued (or somehow represented his
>interests against the company)the Insurance Company. From
>what he told me, he rcovered very, very nicely. He felt that
>with just the Ins. Co. he would not have done nearly as well.
>
>This is from my impression of what he told me, but I hope that
>it helps you in some way.
>
>KEN

These guys are called Public Adjusters. Choose wisely if you get one. There are some good ones, but may of them are shady.

------------------------------------
"”The quickest way to double your money is to fold it over and put it back in your pocket.” - Will Rogers

aces1202 Registered since 12th Mar 2008Thu 22-Nov-12 02:55 PM
314 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Schedule your equipment"
In response to Reply # 6

Wilmington, US

Yes, scheduling your equipment on your homeowners policy is the thing to do. Added benefits of scheduling: No deductible, repair or replace, worldwide coverage, and the perils insured against are not limited to the normal perils for contents.

I wish you good luck with your case against the insurance company. I would think the burden of proof would be on the ins. co. to prove that you are a professional. If you haven't made any money taking pictures, that to me, is the true definition of professional.

------------------------------------
"”The quickest way to double your money is to fold it over and put it back in your pocket.” - Will Rogers

D3Xwannabe Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jul 2009Mon 19-Nov-12 11:54 AM
267 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: I want to apologize"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 19-Nov-12 11:56 AM by D3Xwannabe

Williamsburg, US

I went through a similar experience with flooding when I lived in Virginia Beach. I now have an annual contract with Carbonite (an on-line, off-site back-up service) for $59 per computer per year, and every time I turn on my Mac or PC, they silently back up everything (including the OS) in the background without slowing my computer speed. The first back-up takes several sessions, but now I see the symbol in the tray working away quietly and I smile. I, like you, had about $30-40K in equipment and 1000's of slides, negatives, and digital images on my computers. It's not that difficult to accumulate if you're a serious amateur. Needless to say, I don't have anywhere near that much equipment anymore.

You have my deepest sympathies on your loss. I know how it is to feel like you've lost something invaluable and irreplaceable. I still get a know in my gut when I think about it.

Sincerely,

CARL
D3XWannabe

Artaxerxes Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Jun 2004Sun 25-Nov-12 01:23 AM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: I want to apologize"
In response to Reply # 0

Quincy, US

It is devastating to lose equipment. You had some very good items which would add up to a significant cost quite easily.

But, as you have determined, the greater loss is the record of memories. It is sad to hear of your loss, but I, as well as others here, wish you a quick settlement with the insurance company that is satifactory to you.

I am sure you are very thankful that this did not cause any personal injury to you or your family. That is a blessing in that the loss is only equipment, photos and documents.

This does make one think twice about leaving any UPS equipment or anything else powered when away for a period of time.

...and miles to go before I sleep.

Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS I Want to Sell topic #107605 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.