nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
adcam

Portland, US
597 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
adcam Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2007
Sat 08-Dec-12 09:32 PM

What setting would you recommend to take outside Christmas lights at night?

nwcs

Knoxville, US
6895 posts

#1. "RE: V1 setting" | In response to Reply # 0

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006
Sun 09-Dec-12 12:54 AM

The biggest thing is time of day. I recommend dusk because you'll get a nice glow in the sky that adds enough lighting to make everything a bit more interesting. I would use a tripod - absolute must but if you can't then I would use the 10-30 lens as wide as possible in aperture and find something to brace against with ISO 800.

But with a tripod you can experiment on exposure settings. I would probably start with ISO 100, f/8, and whatever shutter speed the camera recommends initially. but it will probably try to over expose in some situations (or under if there are a lot of lights) so be prepared to use exposure compensation.

adcam

Portland, US
597 posts

#2. "RE: V1 setting" | In response to Reply # 1

adcam Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2007
Sun 09-Dec-12 03:18 AM

Thanks! Will try it out.

glennaa11

Arlington, US
446 posts

#3. "RE: V1 setting" | In response to Reply # 1

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004
Sun 09-Dec-12 04:40 AM

I agree that you will probably need to play with the exposure compensation a bit. I was in Taiwan recently and there are lots of colored lights everywhere. My initial attempts to capture them didn't work so well because the lights came out too white. Had to dial the exposure compensation into negative territory to see the colors.

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/71182/cat/500

nwcs

Knoxville, US
6895 posts

#4. "RE: V1 setting" | In response to Reply # 2

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006
Sun 09-Dec-12 03:50 PM

Oh, and try daylight or tungsten white balance.

DavidHarsay

Fort Myers, US
34 posts

#5. "RE: V1 setting" | In response to Reply # 3

DavidHarsay Registered since 10th Sep 2012
Mon 10-Dec-12 08:46 PM

Like everyone has mentioned, dusk is best, but I will add that I recommend RAW and no more than ISO 400, and ISO 100 if you can do it, which will require a tripod. Take various exposures and this way you can play with it more later to bring out the colors and the backgrounds.

G