Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2110
View in threaded mode

Subject: "V1 question" Previous topic | Next topic
olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Tue 20-Nov-12 08:33 PM
4927 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"V1 question"
Wed 21-Nov-12 05:09 PM by olivierrychner

CH

Hi!

Got an email from Nikon the other day (guess I'm not the only one )

They're offering me CHF 120.- off the price of a V1, which makes it CHF 479.- with the 10-30. Add not far from 200.- for the F-mount adaptator... is it worth it for a D700 shooter with already a fuji X10 on the side? I'm tempted because of the long lenses on the FT-1, but OTOH I'm not in a hurry to do anything foolish...

Any opinions out there?

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lom! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Wed 21-Nov-12 01:54 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: V1 question"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

From where I'm standing, I'd not find enough value in the V1 if you've already got an X10. The crop factor is nice to have but there are image quality compromises (and focus) using the adapter. Look at it this way, based on what you're tempted buy, do you want to spend all that money *just* for the F-mount adapter capability? Unless you're planning on using a V1 in place of the X10 it would be a hard sell for me.

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Wed 21-Nov-12 05:14 PM
4927 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: V1 question"
In response to Reply # 1

CH

Thanks for your input, Neil!

I think I'll shelf the idea for now, you're right: the X10 is more than I dreamt of getting from a DSLR not so long ago, and it was almost exclusively for the idea of mounting a 28-300 on the FT-1 - it is feasible, I've of course checked.

But OTOH, a TC-20 E III is 650 Swiss francs around here. V1 and FT-1 are more expensive, but a V1 can take pictures on its own, which a TC can't do without a much more expensive DSLR in its back and a lens in front!

Seriously, the V1 is indeed not such a good idea, I guess. Maybe second-hand when the V2 hits the market soon?

Olivier Rychner

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 21-Nov-12 05:44 PM
10577 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: V1 question"
In response to Reply # 2

US

If you're already in mirrorless with an X10 and the AF on that is not stopping you from working, I'd even wait out the V2. The next version should really be nicely polished. Some of the things I would like to see that the V2 did not deliver include; CLS integration, better performance with the FT-1 (not limited to center AF sensor and have continuous tracking) plus the ability to switch from Contrast Detect to Phase Detect manually.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Wed 21-Nov-12 08:26 PM
#4. "RE: V1 question"
In response to Reply # 3

CH

Hi there!

The X10 is not a mirrorless: it's a compact with a non-removable zoom - and its AF is ok for a compact!

And yes, I'm waiting. As long as it takes...

Cheerio,

Olivier Rychner

Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Thu 22-Nov-12 12:25 PM
1179 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: V1 question"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 22-Nov-12 02:00 PM by Captain Rich

Savannah, US

Hi Olivier,

I'm still on the fence over the V1 vs. X10. In August I ordered an X10, but it turned out to be an orb model. I had a trip to Europe pending and wasn't sure I could get a repair or replacement camera in time for the trip, so I returned it. So, I jumped on a V1 when the price fell to $600. I tried it out for a few days and was mostly impressed. But somehow, it never "grabbed" me. I thought there were a lot of positives - NEF files so I could use NX2, great viewfinder, well built, interchangeable lenses, etc. I returned that one too, and went to Europe without a backup/P&S. I survived it just fine, but carrying the D700/24-120 f/4 package all the time got a little old. I really want a capable small travel camera.

Now that the price for a V1 at Amazon is down the $370, I'm again seriously considering the V1. But i liked the X10 better for a number of features - faster lenses, built-in flash, great ergonomics, etc. So, I still haven't been able to make a decision - $600 for an X10, $370 for a V1, or just say the hell with it and buy a Coolpix P7100 for about $350 (it seems to also be a very capable compact, although its lens isn't as fast). The 7100 seems to have good reviews for its manual control features, which the V1 comes up short on.

So, I still don't have a P&S or small travel camera. I'm also seriously considering just getting a D3200 to fill that role. My problem with that is that a P&S is just so convenient when going to dinner with friends, banging around at night, etc. More convenient than even a D3200. So, what to do, what to do? There's a thread in the Nikon 1 Forum where Graham and I batted this same issue around, and I even posted some photos (see this on page 2 of the Forum: V1 compared to micro 4/3 cameras ).

There. I hope I fixed your problem for you with this stream of consciousness missive.

Rich

EFDIT - You might also take a look at steve huff's site. He has several articles on the V1. One in particular was on using the V1 as the perfect street photography camera. Same guy also posted an article on the V1 as travel camera, using his photos from Venice. Angst. I may yet buy back in to the V1, given the low prices.

Rich

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Thu 22-Nov-12 06:39 PM
#6. "RE: V1 question"
In response to Reply # 5

CH

Thanks Rich - very valuable input, although I did mention that I'm shelving the idea for now.

I think my next electronic purchase will be either a tablet or a Fuji X100 (well, maybe both, to be honest ). I have reviewed my entire photo file through LR, and I have found out that I don't shoot long lenses often enough, and wildlife I don't have time to pursue. Meaning that my X10 will remain the perfect complement to my D700 for the time being, maybe with the X100 as I have written, and even that is not certain at all.

Thanks again for that "flow of consciousness" - much clearer and easier to follow than Joyce's, if I may add

Cheerio,

Olivier Rychner

CyprusMike Registered since 19th Aug 2012Thu 22-Nov-12 06:52 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: V1 question"
In response to Reply # 6

CY

As a D700 and V1 user, the D700 seems to be spending more and more time in the cupboard at home. I used it earlier in the week after a couple of weeks of V1 only, and its just so big. And so heavy. And the rucksack full of lenses and flashes is a joke in comparison with the V1s bits and bobs in my pocket.

Mike

critidoc Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Feb 2007Wed 28-Nov-12 09:20 AM
210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: V1 question"
In response to Reply # 7

Kingsville, US

Per the V2 manual, the FT adaptor functions just like the V1, no AFc only AFS....bummer

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

archivue Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Mar 2002Wed 28-Nov-12 02:13 PM
5465 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: V1 question"
In response to Reply # 3

Paris, FR

Gee... I liked the V1 "tank" look, the V2 is quite "horrible" and looks like all those other cameras !
I'm following Olivier's thread as I'm getting interested in the V1 as my wife's P1 might get replaced with the V1 at the end of this year...

Jacques

"Un photographe, finalement, c'est quelqu'un comme les autres, mais qui prend des photos." - Man Ray
My Gallery...
My Other Gallery...

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Wed 28-Nov-12 04:57 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: V1 question"
In response to Reply # 8

Knoxville, US

While I don't think there would be any technical reasons for this it now makes me wonder if there are. It would give Nikon another bullet point to convince some of us to upgrade or others to jump on board.

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberWed 28-Nov-12 06:03 PM
18404 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: V1 question"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

I'm tempted by the V1. Carrying a loaded D700 on vacation can be a chore towards the end. A small light compact (like your X10 - which produces beautiful images) may be all that's needed for a "vacation camera" with the DSLR reserved for specific moments.

Personally, Olivier, with the X10, I'd pass on the V1 (I'd still lust after one, though. ).

Save the money of a V1 kit towards something else.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Matto Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007Sun 02-Dec-12 09:56 PM
615 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: V1 question"
In response to Reply # 0

Glenwood, US

Olivier
I just ordered a V1 with 10-30mm lens from B&H here in the US for $299, with free shipping! I didn't think the camera was worth the original price, but at $299 I couldn't pass it up. I just saw a post eslewhere about this deal a few minutes ago. I will get an F -mount adapter eventually, but at this price for a carrying around camera I think it beats some of the P&S cameras with no viewfinder.

Matthew

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Tue 29-Jan-13 11:02 AM
#13. "RE: V1 question"
In response to Reply # 0

CH

Thanks all for your input. The V1, or V2, or V3 or whatever, is postponed for now and for a while: I have just bought a nice Fuji X100, second-hand, and that has brought my stuff budget down for some time!

Cheerio,

Olivier Rychner

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2110 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.