Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2000
View in threaded mode

Subject: "V2 and J2 are now out. Will you buy or upgrade?" Previous topic | Next topic
nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Wed 24-Oct-12 12:27 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Poll question: V2 and J2 are now out. Will you buy or upgrade?"

Knoxville, US

It's been around a year and Nikon has finally updated both the V1 and J1. So it seems a good time for this poll. Are you planning on upgrading your existing body? Buy into the 1 series now? Or are you still considering the system?

Poll result (55 votes)
Buy V2 (9 votes)Vote
Buy J2 (0 votes)Vote
Upgrade to V2 (2 votes)Vote
Upgrade to J2 (1 votes)Vote
Staying with current (32 votes)Vote
Still considering Nikon 1 (11 votes)Vote

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 24-Oct-12 01:37 PM
10577 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: V2 and J2 are now out. Will you buy or upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I'll stay with what I've got. I'm actually going to save my pennies for the 32mm (85mm equivalent), that plus the 10mm gives a nice range of primes. I'm on the fence about the 18mm, but if the price is right, add that and build a nice Three Kings setup in CX.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Wed 24-Oct-12 02:47 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: V2 and J2 are now out. Will you buy or upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 1

Knoxville, US

I really like the new features of the V2 but the main reason I'm not upgrading is that it's a bit bulkier and the different battery. Was really disappointed with the battery choice. But it's nice to see Nikon adding some real strong features to the V2.

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Wed 24-Oct-12 04:07 PM
446 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: V2 and J2 are now out. Will you buy or upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 0

Arlington, US

Not sure that "finally" is the right characterization since the originals have only been around for a year or so. Do we really need an updated body sooner than that?

For now I will stick with what I have and consider lenses I think. The limitations of the V1 are not so annoying to me personally. The V2 has a couple of interesting features. But unless they were will to charge $500 or less for the body I see no reason to upgrade at this point.

In a year the V3 will "finally" be out with even more changes.

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/71182/cat/500

Neuritis Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Apr 2007Wed 24-Oct-12 04:16 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: V2 and J2 are now out. Will you buy or upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 3

Canton, US

I agree. When the price drops I might get it. I got the V1 when it came out. It's just too soon and I want my choice to be between the V3 and V2.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

kenuck Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2008Wed 24-Oct-12 06:33 PM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: V2 and J2 are now out. Will you buy or upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 0

Burnaby, CA

As I got a V1 in August it's a bit early for me to consider a change and I find the V1's ergonomics not too irksome. Franiec grip helped, though I think the V2's grip looks like what it should have been in the first place. New control layout looks good. I'm a bit disappointed that they caved to the push for more megapixels. Noise and diffraction are already issues and this will only be worse. Built-in flash will be handy. Generally I like it, but not enough to upgrade just yet.

Ken

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Thu 25-Oct-12 09:57 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: V2 and J2 are now out. Will you buy or upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 25-Oct-12 10:06 PM by jpFoto

US

I just voted for "Buy V2." The more that I look at it the more that I like it. I'm anxious to see some of the reviews and particularly the DXO Mark scores. If the sensor has a reasonably good high ISO rating, I'm in. I don't expect 6400 to be great, but I would settle for a good rating at 1600. If that's the case, and the other scores are good then I would even consider buying the FT-1.

You might have a hard time getting any accurate results with this poll since a lot of us have never even held a Nikon 1. It might take some reviews from people like Tom Hogan to get any of us interested, but it looks like Nikon may have been reading some of the V1 reviews. I think that he called the V1 a 90 pound weakling. I'm rooting for them and hope that the V2 is aimed at serious photographers. And, one last thought. If Nikon can do to this 14 mp sensor what they did to the D3200 24 mp sensor, this camera should be a real winner. I'm not getting my hopes up too high, but I would love to see it.

jP

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Thu 25-Oct-12 11:39 PM
4477 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: V2 and J2 are now out. Will you buy or upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

The V2 sounds like an improvement in many ways, assuming that noise at 6400 is the same as noise at 3200 on the V1. The ergonomics look better. The built-in flash is nice.

But they still did not program bracketing, so no true HDR bursts. And that's the one feature I really wanted.

I'll pass.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

buckreynolds Registered since 11th Jan 2009Fri 26-Oct-12 12:22 AM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: V2 and J2 are now out. Will you buy or upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I'm really enjoying the V1. I don't feel any upgrade fever since the V2 improvements, while useful, do not render the V1 obsolete. It still works well as a little, quiet, camera that can take Nikon DSLR lenses.The extra cost of upgrading is better invested in another lens.

Best wishes to all Nikonians

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Fri 26-Oct-12 01:27 AM
5721 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: V2 and J2 are now out. Will you buy or upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 0

Naperville, US

I'm kind of "hog-tied" right now. I just bought a X10 for my small camera. I was reluctant to start another interchangeable lens kit. I'm still waiting to see how the lens system is going to play out. My interest are in a fast high-contrast 28mm or 35mm equivalent. The lenses will decide if I buy one.

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Fri 26-Oct-12 04:42 AM
2318 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: V2 and J2 are now out. Will you buy or upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 0

Bay Area, US

It's good that Nikon upgrades the line, but I'm not that impressed with the improvements of the V2 over the V1, so I will stay with my V1. Also, the V1 shares it's battery with my D800, while the V2 got a new, lower capacity battery.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

Speedybee Registered since 29th Jun 2012Fri 26-Oct-12 07:06 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: V2 and J2 are now out. Will you buy or upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 10

GB

I will also stay with my V1. Nikon seem to have addressed some of the irritating shortcomings with the V2 but I would normally try to wait for the next but one evolution when upgrading. The V1 still does what I bought it for very well and is slightly less bulky. I really can't understand all the, in my opinion, unwarranted criticism of the 1 system.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 26-Oct-12 01:31 PM
3145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: V2 and J2 are now out. Will you buy or upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 11
Fri 26-Oct-12 01:35 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

I don't consider a lower capacity battery an upgrade.
I have a V1, D7000, D600, and D800 with the En-El 15.
10MP is plenty for the stills I use it for
and 14 will not be better for Video.

I will wait for the V3 or mirrorless DSLR and then see.

CyprusMike Registered since 19th Aug 2012Fri 26-Oct-12 01:58 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: V2 and J2 are now out. Will you buy or upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 12

CY

No chance of upgrading. I love my V1 and it does all I ask of it. Why would I want to fork out £799 for a minor feature upgrade and less battery life? That makes no sense at all...

On the other hand, I wish Nikon would get their finger out with a decent wide angle lens for the 1 Series. My trusty old 17-35 is my D700's best friend - and usually at the 17 end. Working with a 27mm equivalent on the V1 is a real handicap from time to time.

Mike

gbheron Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2007Fri 26-Oct-12 03:47 PM
166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: V2 and J2 are now out. Will you buy or upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 0

Cedar Falls, US

Good morning, Neil,

I will certainly upgrade to the V2 but will also keep my V1. I love the addition of focus tracking to the V2. The biggest disappointment was the failure to include a real speedlight hot shoe. It is also unfortunate they had to abandon the more robust battery of the V1.

Happy Nikon shooting,
Randy

Vox Sciurorum Registered since 18th Oct 2007Fri 26-Oct-12 03:49 PM
240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: V2 and J2 are now out. Will you buy or upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 0

Newton, US

I'm not planning to sink more money into the system. Buying the V1 was a mistake, but not the most expensive mistake I've made.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 26-Oct-12 11:05 PM
12592 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#16. "RE: V2 and J2 are now out. Will you buy or upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

I just clicked buy V2, but would really say I am considering it. I am thinking about this system as a travel kit instead of hauling my D700 and lenses, but I am concerned about loss of image quality. I will waite to see what the experts say about the camera. The V2 does look like an improvement over the V1 and as I don't only any Nikon 1 system a V2 would be a logical choice if I drop the hammer. Otherwise I will continue to haul my D700 when I travel and torture my aging body.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Sat 27-Oct-12 02:17 AM
446 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: V2 and J2 are now out. Will you buy or upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 16

Arlington, US

Depending on how much money you have to spend, you can get V1 kits cheap these days.

And don't worry too much about image quality. I think the system works quite well for travel. Of course it depends somewhat on your subject matter. But the V1 has plenty of image quality for most purposes. I printed a couple of shots from the V1 at letter size and 12x18 and they are really fantastic. As with any camera, the most important thing is the photographer and the subject.

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/71182/cat/500

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 27-Oct-12 04:15 AM
4216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: V2 and J2 are now out. Will you buy or upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

I'm on the fence about the V2. I'd like to focus on the 50mm FOV more or less for sure and perhaps the 85mm FOV lenses.

The V2 battery has me disappointed to put it mildly. Lack of bracketing, hmmm they're still missing that, makes zero sense. And while we're at it, my buddies iPhone does a killer scan and panorama, all processing in-phone, very neat!

I like my little V1 and I use it for travel a lot. The f/1.8 and f/1.2 lenses ought to help a lot in keeping ISO to a decent range, minimizing noise and maximizing dynamic range.

"Real" 15fps with AF, RAW, and no Program exposure limitation (if I have all this correct) has got me tempted. I like that the V2 got an Auto-ISO 1600 option.

Haven't heard anywhere whether they delivered on providing an Auto-ISO minimum shutter speed feature but I won't get my hopes up I guess.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

wcguy Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Nov 2009Sat 27-Oct-12 05:25 PM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: V2 and J2 are now out. Will you buy or upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

Wanted to upgrade, but differences on the V2 are not big enough to warrant spending another $800 to up grade to that camera,will put money into better lenses eventually(hopefully fast wide and fast zooms).My V1 system will do fine until a V3 comes out.Will be putting the $800.00 towards the RX1 to go with my V1 system for traveling and biking.With these wonderful small systems are getting better by the day , sadly my D700 system will be used less and less, but will not do away with it.Nikon needs to get those fast primes and fast zoom lenses out for the N1 system, there are many mini systems moving in leaps and bounds making it hard on loyal Nikonians.

'ITS WHAT YOU LEARN AFTER YOU KNOW IT ALL THAT COUNTS'

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Sat 27-Oct-12 10:58 PM
#20. "RE: V2 and J2 are now out. Will you buy or upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 15

Knoxville, US

Why do you think it was a mistake?

tomlawone Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Mar 2011Sun 28-Oct-12 10:54 PM
268 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: V2 and J2 are now out. Will you buy or upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 19
Mon 29-Oct-12 01:30 AM by tomlawone

Hayden Lake, US

I got the $399 deal from Adorama for a V1 and 10-30 lens. Then I got an FT1 from a fellow Nikonian. I was going to send the V1 back until the battery issue came up with the V2. I needed a second battery for my D800 that would cost about $60. I was going to buy the battery anyway, so in my mind the V1 cost $340. Too inexpensive to send back. So, the V1 stays for a while. I will pair it with my Nikon 70-300 VR for an easy-to-carry wildlife lens and use it to maybe 200mm with that lens. When the new 70-200 f/4 VR comes out and (hopefully) comes down a bit in price, that new lens will take the 70-300's place.

Jamy1946 Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2011Tue 30-Oct-12 03:30 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: V2 and J2 are now out. Will you buy or upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 0

Chonburi, TH

I sold my V1 and al... Tired of the limitations of the FT1.

If Nikon decides to "free" the FT1, I'll get aV2 to put my 300 AF-S f/4

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Tue 30-Oct-12 04:07 PM
#23. "RE: V2 and J2 are now out. Will you buy or upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 22

Knoxville, US

The AF-C mode in particular or just the center focus? I'm just curious what the limitation was for you.

kenuck Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2008Thu 01-Nov-12 02:54 AM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: V2 and J2 are now out. Will you buy or upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 5
Thu 01-Nov-12 02:56 AM by kenuck

Burnaby, CA

My wife and I are off to Thailand this week. Packed the V1 and my two 1 series lenses, flash etc...whole package with bag only 3.5 lb (doesn't seem right somehow)

I convinced my wife to leave her Sony R1 at home to try out the V1 while we travel - if she likes it, she'll get the V1 and I'll get a V2 All part of my plan - if it works, I'll change my upgrade vote from not now to a "Buy now" lol.

Ken

critidoc Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Feb 2007Fri 09-Nov-12 09:12 AM
210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: V2 and J2 are now out. Will you buy or upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 23

Kingsville, US

I would upgrade my V1 if the V2 would allow full AF function with my tele lenses. Would be nice to get 15 fps with motion tracking in afc for BIF.

King Nothing Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2011Fri 09-Nov-12 07:52 PM
116 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: V2 and J2 are now out. Will you buy or upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 22

Cranbrook, CA

I sold mine too but it was more than just the FT1 that did it. I got frustrated with the limitations of the whole system. No normal hot shoe meant that I couldn't use my flashes and would have to buy a special one just for it. And when Nikon finally started announcing the updates it was the last straw for me. A whole year later and all they had was another slow zoom, some minor updates to the bodies, and a somewhat fast normal prime wasn't enough for me. Since m4/3 has more of what I want in a small camera system it made the decision easy.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2000 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.