Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1994
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Nikon announce the V2" Previous topic | Next topic
richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Wed 24-Oct-12 06:02 AM
3352 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon announce the V2"
Wed 24-Oct-12 07:18 AM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

Not unexpectedly, Nikon have announced the Nikon V2.

A great lover of Nikon yes, but sometimes I think their tech team haven't got the brains they were born with! The current V1 uses a EN-EL15 as does the D800 and D7000. Why or why have they chosen to change the battery to a EN-EL21? New battery, new charger which should really annoy the current V1 owners upgrading who have bought spare EN-EL15 batteries, especially if they don't own a dSLR camera that uses the EN-EL15 battery.

That's really annoyed me

Richard

See:

http://photographylife.com/nikon-1-v2-announcement#more-37800

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Wed 24-Oct-12 11:27 AM
446 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon announce the V2"
In response to Reply # 0

Arlington, US

I completely agree regarding the battery. That was one of the first things I looked for when I was checking the specs. I am guessing they needed to make the battery smaller.

Other than that it seems like they were listening to things everyone complained about with the V1. There's a fairly aggressive hand grip. Shooting mode dial on top (which should help eliminate everyone's complaint about the current dial switching too easily between stills and video).

Still no bracketing though unless I am missing something. That seems like something that would be very simple to implement in software. I would love to ask them directly about that decision.

Very tempting though...

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/71182/cat/500

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Wed 24-Oct-12 12:25 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon announce the V2"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

I really like what they are doing with the 1 series, especially if they get all those lenses out. But I agree, the change of battery isn't a good choice. Especially for those of us who use multiple Nikon bodies. It would be awesome if most of Nikon's lineup would all use the same battery.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Wed 24-Oct-12 01:02 PM
3352 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon announce the V2"
In response to Reply # 2

Dyserth, GB

More money for Nikon! I'm willing to guess they could have used the same battery, after all the camera looks no smaller and the D800/D7000 use it, so plenty of power one would think! I'm sure they'll justify it being smaller because they had to fit in the top dial

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Mathy Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jun 2012Wed 24-Oct-12 01:51 PM
46 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon announce the V2 - fantastic!"
In response to Reply # 3

Exeter, AU

I'm really liking the look of this The battery issue is annoying, sure, but the only Nikon I own is the V1, so I'll wear it. I'm impressed with a larger sensor, I love the look with a chunky grip on the RHS, moving that annoying dial to the top (I think?) and do we now have a flash?

And, then there's the lenses as well.

I'm an older person and I have an FT1 mount plus a Micro Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 lens (which weighs in at 790gms). I can't even begin to think about using even a DX DSLR, the weight would kill my hands. So, better, lighter lenses for this system have just made me sit up and take notice. Also, when using the FT1 mount and a bigger lens on it, it really needs a fatter part to hang on to.

Seems like Nikon do have a pathway for this system and I look forward to buying myself one, when all the naysayers have forced the price down a wee bit, cheers Deb

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Wed 24-Oct-12 02:06 PM
#5. "RE: Nikon announce the V2 - fantastic!"
In response to Reply # 4

Dyserth, GB

Knowing it was coming, I bit the bullet and bought a almost new mint V1 last week and the new FT1 and flash arrived yesterday. So far I really like the camera for what it is and now the V2 has arrived and looks like being a very versatile well built and well thought out camera, batteries excepted!

12 months time and if I still like my V1 maybe I'll trade up, until then I'll carry on enjoying it and learning how to get the best out of it.

I am now officially declaring, after buying a D800, MB-D12 and a Nikon 1 full kit over 6 weeks that I'm placing a moratorium on Nikon for at least 12 months. Unless of course the D400 arrives, perhaps, maybe, watch this space.

Richard

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Wed 24-Oct-12 02:49 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon announce the V2 - fantastic!"
In response to Reply # 5

Knoxville, US

LOL, every time I say that I end up getting a lens! Thankfully my girlfriend really likes the V1 so I may end up giving it to her and just use my D800 more often. But the V1 is the perfect travel camera...

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Wed 24-Oct-12 03:30 PM
#7. "RE: Nikon announce the V2 - fantastic!"
In response to Reply # 6
Wed 24-Oct-12 03:30 PM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

The UK price (Wex) is £798 (US$1200) with the 10-30mm lens, £969 (US$1500). However, there is no "body only option" which is strange as most V1 owners would probably have the lenses already and would only need to upgrade the body! Maybe that will arrive later.

Richard

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Wed 24-Oct-12 04:02 PM
446 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nikon announce the V2 - fantastic!"
In response to Reply # 4
Wed 24-Oct-12 04:30 PM by glennaa11

Arlington, US

>I'm really liking the look of this The battery issue is
>annoying, sure, but the only Nikon I own is the V1, so I'll
>wear it. I'm impressed with a larger sensor, I love the look
>with a chunky grip on the RHS, moving that annoying dial to
>the top (I think?) and do we now have a flash?
>

Actually the sensor is the same size. They just made it with more MP. Not always a good thing. But it seems to be improved over the original. More focus points and so forth.

The mode dial does move to the top. It also include PASM shooting modes. Interested to see how shooting options are handled in the special modes though.

Yes, there is a pop up flash. And a hot shoe on top for the accessory flash. Unfortuantely still not compatible with other Nikon speedlights. I didn't notice if the pop up flash can be used as commander for CLS?

Interested to see how the in-camera HDR option does.

I always have to chuckle at the stupid, uninformed opinions that pop up at Nikon Rumors whenever anything related to the 1 system gets posted. But I guess some people spend all of their time dissecting specs rather than shooting and reviewing actual photos.

If they priced the V2 sensibly I would buy one. But $800 for body only is kind of crazy. $500 or less and I would get one...

Glenn

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Wed 24-Oct-12 06:25 PM
2722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Nikon announce the V2 - fantastic!"
In response to Reply # 8

Tallahassee, Florida, US

>...If they priced the V2 sensibly I would buy one. But $800 for
>body only is kind of crazy...

I've been looking at smaller systems to supplement my D300 for a while, and did recently buy a Fuji X10. One I've been looking at is the Olympus M4/3 OM-D, which sells for $1000, body only. The V2 isn't that expensive compared to the OM-D, but it may not be quite the camera either. I'd like to see more controls on the body, but at least as I see it, this looks like an improvement over the V1.

What current Nikon cameras use the EN-EL15 battery? I'm asking out of ignorance.

The battery grip seems like a good idea. It's nice to have a small camera, but as long as the grip doesn't extend beyond the length of a lens, it really doesn't make the camera any bigger to carry.

Randy

Neuritis Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Apr 2007Wed 24-Oct-12 07:09 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Nikon announce the V2 - fantastic!"
In response to Reply # 9

Canton, US

The D7000 and D800/800E use the same battery.

eyciboy Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2009Wed 24-Oct-12 08:02 PM
131 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nikon announce the V2"
In response to Reply # 3

Toronto, CA

I'm just guessing like all of us at this point but it could be the smaller battery is a response to the comments/complaints about the current battery getting too hot. I noticed this recently while shooting all day with the V1. However, I do agree it was nice to be able to swap batteries with my D7000. Ray

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Wed 24-Oct-12 09:04 PM
#12. "RE: Nikon announce the V2 - fantastic!"
In response to Reply # 10

Arlington, US

I believe I read that the D600 used the EN-EL15 as well

Glenn

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 27-Oct-12 04:32 AM
4265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Nikon announce the V2"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 27-Oct-12 04:40 AM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

Also as Richard mentioned, where is the body-only option for potential V1 upgraders?

The battery and lack of RAW bracketing and panorama and probable continuing lack of full Auto-ISO implementation go very well with your "without a brain" theorem

I'll claim I'm not upgrading my V1. This firmness usually lasts as long as RRRoger or Richard don't cave, then I'm in

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 27-Oct-12 04:37 AM
4265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Nikon announce the V2 - fantastic!"
In response to Reply # 12
Sat 27-Oct-12 04:38 AM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

sorry, posted in error...

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 27-Oct-12 04:45 AM
#15. "RE: Nikon announce the V2"
In response to Reply # 11

Alberta, CA

That is an interesting theory. I noticed the heating while shooting video, very apparent. You get that from intensive still shooting too?

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Sat 27-Oct-12 06:10 PM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Nikon announce the V2"
In response to Reply # 0

Ottawa, CA

I am still enjoying my V1. My complaints have been the dial that moves to easily, the interruption of your last photo showing up on screen before you can take a second shot, and the non-standard flash hot shoe, which impedes me using it for macro. I understand one of these has been solved, if another is solved I may consider upgrading.

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Sat 27-Oct-12 10:57 PM
#17. "RE: Nikon announce the V2"
In response to Reply # 16

Knoxville, US

Yeah, that is one thing I haven't seen mentioned yet. Whether the mandatory image review is no longer mandatory in the V2. I sure hope so!

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Sun 28-Oct-12 03:24 PM
#18. "RE: Nikon announce the V2"
In response to Reply # 0

Arlington, US

Not sure if these deserve their own thread, but here are a couple of hands on videos

http://youtu.be/IE-4eQ8inok

http://youtu.be/MCZlvybCYrE

Glenn

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sun 28-Oct-12 04:37 PM
#19. "RE: Nikon announce the V2"
In response to Reply # 13

Dyserth, GB

Steve. if you mean me, then as long as "management" forgets my recent purchases in about 12 months then I will possibly be in for a V2!

Meanwhile, on a rare UK day of sunshine and clear views yesterday, I quickly switched my D800 for the V1. I'm still loving it

Richard

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 28-Oct-12 09:17 PM
#20. "RE: Nikon announce the V2"
In response to Reply # 19

Alberta, CA

Glad to hear you are still loving the V1, me too. I especially find it handy in a pocket when I'm carrying the big birding gear.

My management has the same attitude

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1994 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.