Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1871
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Pixel management Video vs Still on the 1 Series" Previous topic | Next topic
kenuck Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2008Mon 17-Sep-12 03:01 PM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Pixel management Video vs Still on the 1 Series"
Mon 17-Sep-12 03:02 PM by kenuck

Burnaby, CA

Does anyone know if, with video, pixels are sampled or combined? Put another way there are 1920 outputs across the HD video but the sensor has almost exactly twice that many pixels (3872). I'm way out of my depth here but it seems to me that if pixels were combined into "auper-pixels" (2x2 each) rather than just picking every second pixel in a row that it could impact sensitivity (potentially 4 times the light gathering capacity) and possibly diffraction limits

Ken

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Mon 17-Sep-12 11:44 PM
6891 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Pixel management Video vs Still on the 1 Series"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

I don't know for sure but I do know that other Nikon DSLR movie modes using binning. So I wouldn't be surprised if this is also binning.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Tue 02-Oct-12 08:00 PM
4424 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Pixel management Video vs Still on the 1 Series"
In response to Reply # 1

Alberta, CA

I don't think any Nikon video is "binning". Issue not unique to Nikon either AFAIK.

They are line skipping and doing all kinds of math/algorythms to make up for it, but I don't think we currently have the CPU horsepower to bin at 24 and 30fps. Would love it if we did though! Take the whole image sensor and bin it down to the 2mp needed for each individual video frame.

(happy to be corrected on this)

The D4 does something unique in one mode where it reads the "actual pixels" to provide the 2.7 crop mode video. This provides a high quality signal because it isn't doing all the line skipping/algorythm gyrations to make up for the skipped data.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1871 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.