Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #527
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Nikon D90 or Nikon D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
thephilmaster Registered since 20th Sep 2010Wed 29-Sep-10 03:52 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D90 or Nikon D7000"

CA

As some of you may know, I am new to DSLR photography and am looking for my first DSLR.
In terms of what I photograph, I tend to do a wide variety of things:
1) Indoors - portraits, candid scenes from parties, birthdays, holiday family gatherings, stuff like that
2) Outdoors- vacation photography (ie greece, spain etc...), some animals and wilderness, sometimes sports, I also like just taking shots of things that i just notice around me that are particularly photo-worthy whether it be a flower, tree, building, alley, whatever inspires me.

Currently I use a Nikon Coolpix s600 point and shoot camera which doesn't give me the quality of pictures, low light capabilities, or depth of field choice that I would like. Nor does it give me the ability to fine tune aperture, shutter speed, and iso. I have read up a lot on these things and did what I could with my point and shoot, just the performance of the sensor is not great. Also I appreciate a fast continuous shooting speed because sometimes photograph some sports, and also if something is happening randomly quickly, I like the ability to grab a few shots and pick the one I like later without missing the event.

With regards to video, I like having that capability because sometimes at some things I go to, I like to be able to just capture short clips of things, whether it be singing happy birthday or other things.

I like to try to be careful with my electronics, but I always end up bumping them and dropping them and stuff.

That's essentially what my needs are. I've already decided to go with Nikon, I just need to decide between a Nikon D90 and a Nikon D7000. If I get the Nikon D7000 then I would be getting the kit lens: 18-105mm f3.5-5.6. If I get the NIkon D90, then I'll likely get the kit lens, and use that for a while until I learn what kind of other lenses I may need. Most of the time I really would only like to have 1 lens when traveling, but certain occasions I may want to have some other lenses. I may not need the other lenses for a while so honestly, whatever lens I get with the camera will likely be the only one I use for about a year or so.

So let me know what you think.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Wed 29-Sep-10 09:28 PM
2708 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D90 or Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

How price-sensitive are you? Either would be a good choice. The D90 would save you some money, but the D7000 is more capable in several small ways that make it a better camera, price aside. If it were me, I'd buy the D7000 and get the newest generation camera. If I was price-sensitive and wanted a good value, the D90 costs much less and is almost as capable.

Randy

thephilmaster Registered since 20th Sep 2010Thu 30-Sep-10 06:04 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D90 or Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

CA

Well I would be lying if I said I didn't care about money... I am sort of trying to weigh the options. I understand that the D90 is a very capable camera in it's own right, but I have this thing for owning the latest and greatest when it comes to technology.

I have done my best to learn as much as I can about DSLR operation so that I will be off to a great start the moment I buy one. I'm just worried that I wont be happy with the D90 knowing that there is a camera like the D7000 out.

I'm also interested to find out the price that actual stores in my area will be officially selling the D7000 at. I heard that individual dealers may be selling it a little bit below the MSRP.

So is there anything else I should be considering when it comes to this DSLR purchase?

RWCooper Registered since 04th Jul 2004Thu 30-Sep-10 06:10 PM
976 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D90 or Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Winnipeg, CA

Hi,

If it was me, and if price was not a consideration then I'd buy the D7000 as almost everything about the D7000 is better than the D90. The only reason I see for buying a D90 is not being able to or willing to pay more for the D7000.

Enjoy!
Randy

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Thu 30-Sep-10 09:52 PM
2708 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon D90 or Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

Tallahassee, Florida, US

>... I have this thing for owning the latest and greatest
> when it comes to technology.

That answers your question. Buy a D7000, as you would quickly become dissatisfied with a D90, not necessarily because it wouldn't do what you needed it to, but because it would be a generation behind the technology in the D7000.

Randy

thephilmaster Registered since 20th Sep 2010Fri 01-Oct-10 01:23 PM
#5. "RE: Nikon D90 or Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

CA

Thanks to everyone who helped! You bring up some very good points that I will have to consider. I feel myself leaning towards the D7000 at the moment, particularly for the "new" factor. I hope to have this camera for quite a few years, and I just feel like in that time, the D7000 will still be a very capable (and reliable - due to the more solid body construction) camera. I know the D90 is an extremely capable camera as well, I just feel like the D7000 will give me more room to grow into the camera.

Thanks again!

TMort Registered since 04th Jul 2010Sat 02-Oct-10 12:35 AM
68 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon D90 or Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I have been in a similar quandary but with the D3100 vs the D7000. While the D3100 would probably serve me fine, I can't pass up the idea of having the D7000 and all it's advantage. Plus, I currently shoot with a D40 (which I am very happy with, I just want a second body) and I kinda want to jump up into something a little higher in the Nikon lineup. the D3100 just seems like a newer version of the D40.

At this point, I am also leaning toward the D7000.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 02-Oct-10 07:20 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon D90 or Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 6

St Petersburg, RU

The only similarity between the D40 and D3100 is that both surprise and embarrass a lot of high end cameras/photographers.
The D3100 currently is the top IQ DX camera in the line, the noise and color and resolution, based on samples that are filling the galleries is a real eye opener. Its 6400 ISO images leave the D90 and D300 in the dust for example and is knocking on the door of the D700. You would expect a longer list of features on the D90 replacement but the 3100 not only has a good set of new features but basic camera functions and IQ place it much further up the camera functionality graph than entry level cameras are expect to be found. If it was not labeled "entry level" it would be a successful competitor to the large sensor compact bodies that are all the rage among experienced photographers now. At a tad over 400 grams and smaller than most bridge cameras I think a whole wider range of users will discover it as a second camera to the "serious kit" that would increasingly be left home. It is a very impressive camera. If released 5 years ago it would be hailed as the best IQ DSLR camera in the world. The term entry level does not really do it justice. If you value small, the D3100 is the one. If you want to get deeper into more specialized conditions, the D7000 has the versatility to handle almost any situation that can be handled at all by a camera. The D3100 costs more than expected and the D7000 costs a lot less than expected.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 02-Oct-10 08:42 AM
6058 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nikon D90 or Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

As others have already said, the D7000 is a more capable camera in just about every way. This is especially true with respect to video, which is where the most significant advances are currently being made in DSLR technology. From everything I've read, the video capabilities of the D7000 far outstrip those of the D90. Even for casual video use, that by itself may make the difference.

The 18-105 lens is an excellent place to start. Its range of focal length is pretty close to your S600 -- with some more at the telephoto end -- so you pretty much already know what to expect.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Sat 02-Oct-10 07:11 PM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Nikon D90 or Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 7
Sat 02-Oct-10 09:51 PM by MstrBones

AW

>The D3100 currently is the top IQ DX camera in the line, the
>noise and color and resolution, based on samples that are
>filling the galleries is a real eye opener.

Answered my own earlier question....

Here is a link to some shots
http://pcfoto.biz/nikon-d3100-preview

""

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #527 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.