Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30323
View in threaded mode

Subject: "SB700 for D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Sat 12-Oct-13 01:32 PM
137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB700 for D7000"

GB

Dear Nikonians, please can you let me know if SB700 flash gun will work well with D7000 for wedding, portrait, trick shots etc.?
I am thinking of buying one...

Thank you?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
delraypiper Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2013Sat 12-Oct-13 01:36 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB700 for D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Delray Beach, US

Works well for me. I also use for off camera shots using either commander mode or radio triggers.

John D

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 12-Oct-13 02:31 PM
5576 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB700 for D7000"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 12-Oct-13 02:32 PM by mklass

Tacoma, US

I've used a SB-700 on both a D7000 and D7100. It works well and the size is nice for travel.

However, its power, controls and other features are somewhat limited. You may be happier with a SB-800, 900 or 910, depending on whether you prefer new or used.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Sat 12-Oct-13 09:46 PM
137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB700 for D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

GB

That is helpful, thanks.

RLDubbya Registered since 24th Dec 2011Sun 13-Oct-13 01:42 AM
542 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SB700 for D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>I've used a SB-700 on both a D7000 and D7100. It works well
>and the size is nice for travel.
>
>However, its power, controls and other features are somewhat
>limited. You may be happier with a SB-800, 900 or 910,
>depending on whether you prefer new or used.

Just to be clear: the 800 and 900 discontinued models, with only the 910 a current choice for new.

OP: check out http://photographylife.com/nikon-flash-comparison for a quick comparison.

The 700 is a nice unit, pairs well with the 7000 IMO.

As far as power output goes, the 700 (first) is pretty close to the 910, as the Guide Numbers show:

92' (28.04 m) ISO100 at 35 mm position
111.5' (33.99 m) ISO100 at 35 mm position

I believe that this typically means about 1 stop difference in a typical scenario.

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Sun 13-Oct-13 01:07 PM
#5. "RE: SB700 for D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

GB

Great info!

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sun 13-Oct-13 03:03 PM
5576 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: SB700 for D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

Tacoma, US

That's a pretty significant difference in power, especially when you consider the inverse square ratio for light falloff.

Mick
or

RLDubbya Registered since 24th Dec 2011Sun 13-Oct-13 06:07 PM
542 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: SB700 for D7000"
In response to Reply # 6

US

>That's a pretty significant difference in power, especially
>when you consider the inverse square ratio for light falloff.
>
Mick, you certainly have way more experience than me with this stuff. Can this be cast in more useful terms? Does it in fact correspond to a 1-stop difference in most shooting situations? Are there any "commonsense" guidelines that would help the OP choose between the 700 and the 910 for power output?

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Tue 15-Oct-13 08:00 PM
897 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: SB700 for D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

US

>>I've used a SB-700 on both a D7000 and D7100. It works
>well
>>and the size is nice for travel.
>>
>>However, its power, controls and other features are
>somewhat
>>limited. You may be happier with a SB-800, 900 or 910,
>>depending on whether you prefer new or used.
>
>Just to be clear: the 800 and 900 discontinued models, with
>only the 910 a current choice for new.
>
>OP: check out
>http://photographylife.com/nikon-flash-comparison for a quick
>comparison.
>
>The 700 is a nice unit, pairs well with the 7000 IMO.
>
>As far as power output goes, the 700 (first) is pretty close
>to the 910, as the Guide Numbers show:
>
>92' (28.04 m) ISO100 at 35 mm position
>111.5' (33.99 m) ISO100 at 35 mm position
>
>I believe that this typically means about 1 stop difference in
>a typical scenario.
>
>

If I'm calculating correctly, the difference in power amounts to *about* 1/2 stop. That 1/2 stop difference is the same at any distance; f = GN/d (the inverse square law applies to all flashes equally). So, it's a 1/2 stop difference at 3, 30, or 300 feet.

For example, using the published guide numbers, the 910 would be f/9.3 at 12 feet. The 700 would be f/7.67 at 12 feet. I did a little real-world testing with my SB700 and SB24 (old model, GN of 118). At 12 ft, 35mm coverage, my Sekonic indicated f/8 for the 700, and f/9 for the SB24 (the old gal may not be firing on all cylinders).

But, consider that the discrepancy is only apparent if the flashes are both at full power. How many flash situations call for that? There is a reason these flash units can be popped down to 1/128 power.

There may be other features and advantages of the 910 that would make it the better choice, but unless you need that extra 1/2 stop of exposure, raw power may not be one of them.

Kent

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 15-Oct-13 10:22 PM
#9. "RE: SB700 for D7000"
In response to Reply # 8

Tacoma, US

I will tell you based on using them that the 900 is noticeably more powerful at a distance than the 700. I haven't spent the time studying it in detail to give you the numbers, but that is how it works.

If you are shooting at the extreme margin of flash effectiveness, that extra power is useful and required. So, yeah, there is a need for full power. Sue, if you always shot a single, centered subject at 12 ft, you can probably use either one. (I doubt either unit is of much use at 300ft. ;-0)

There is a reason that Nikon makes more than one model flash, and has for years, and there is a reason there is a price difference.

Mick
or

RLDubbya Registered since 24th Dec 2011Tue 15-Oct-13 10:51 PM
#10. "RE: SB700 for D7000"
In response to Reply # 9

US

>There is a reason that Nikon makes more than one model flash,
>and has for years, and there is a reason there is a price
>difference.
>

Certainly, no argument.

I absolutely agree that if I'm shooting an event outdoors, I grab a 910 - I'll probably need it. If I'm shooting indoors, a 700 will probably be ok.

But I could probably come up an indoor scenario using a diffuser, in a large room, with 25' vaulted ceilings, where the 700 isn't sufficient.

I know this is starting to get into SpeedLight Forum type stuff, but: assuming that the OP has a limited budget, I'd probably suggest going with the 700, and getting a good bracket and cord to get the flash off-camera. Knowing that the OP likes his Meike(?) grip, he must shoot portrait mode; being able to use the flash in portrait mode might be good. Add in a basic snoot, etc., to give some more control.

Thoughts?

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Wed 16-Oct-13 11:21 AM
#11. "RE: SB700 for D7000"
In response to Reply # 7

GB

When built-in flash on D7000 is used in command mode, it can only control two groups of flashes right?

Does it make more sense to get the SB700 then? Or the number of group the camera can control and which Speedlight to use is not related?

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 16-Oct-13 11:56 AM
28315 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: SB700 for D7000"
In response to Reply # 11

Paignton, GB

Specific discussions on the uses of Nikon's flash system are better off in our Speedlights and Lighting Forum.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30323 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.