Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30076
View in threaded mode

Subject: "D7100: Macro Evaluation" Previous topic | Next topic
RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Sun 22-Sep-13 07:27 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100: Macro Evaluation"

US

Spent a bit of time playing with macro functionality today. Since I'm really just dipping my toes in macro work, I've never splurged on the latest greatest glass. The older micro-Nikkor lenses are plenty sharp, IMO: you give up convenience. But for somebody like me, who doesn't know if they'll stick with it, it makes a great deal of sense.

I picked up a pristine Nikkor 105/f4 non-AI (probably, what, about 40 years old) with a PN-1 extension from eBay for under $200; had it converted to AI compatible for another $35. I don't have VR; I have only manual focusing, which is what most do in macro work anyhow. Neither of these are big deals when you use a tripod or monopod.

If I use the lens without the PN-1, I get rangefinder focusing - that is, the camera tells me when focus is locked on. However, when I put the PN-1 in the equation, I lose that. I'd have to upgrade to the PN-11 tube, I think.

Anyhow: the big drawback is LiveView / ViewFinder only shows me the amount of light the aperture I have selected is admitting, tube or not. So, my standard approach is to open to f4; try to guess at the center focus point - then crank the aperture down to f32 to get at least some DOF, but shoot basically blind.

The D7100 LV screen is a bit better for reading focus than the D7000.

First image was taken without the extension tube.

Click to enlarge.

Second image is the same feather as in the first image, however, the PN-1 tube was added, and we're at 1:1 - it filled the viewfinder. I used LiveView to focus in the center spine and get that as sharp as possible at F4, then cranked to f32 and shot.

Click to enlarge.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 22-Sep-13 07:57 PM
28770 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100: Macro Evaluation"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

You might like to check out our Macro and Close-up Forum, if you haven't already. It has plenty of ideas and information for this type of work, when you're after non-camera-specific advice

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30076 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.