Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29037
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Overriding Auto focus" Previous topic | Next topic
Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Sat 20-Jul-13 05:32 PM
352 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Overriding Auto focus"
Sat 20-Jul-13 05:32 PM by Bela614

Bellingham, US

Hello,
I am having difficulty with my auto focus. I was wondering if there was any way to try to focus automatically and if that doesn't work focus manually using the selector pad (up, down, right, left)? It seems when I am in Auto focus mode I cannot change the focus squares from one position to another
Thanks in advance,
Bill.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see" Henry David Thoreau
(1817-62)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sat 20-Jul-13 05:49 PM
11299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Overriding Auto focus"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

On the back of the camera look at the ring around the multi-selector there is a lever at the bottom. This lever is used to lock the focus points. Make sure that is set to the dot NOT to the L.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sat 20-Jul-13 05:52 PM
3191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Overriding Auto focus"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

You can use the selector pad to move to different focus points, but you have to unlock it first. Move the dot off of the "L" (Lock) position. This isn't manual focus; it's just selecting a different area for autofocus. You can override AF by turning the focus ring if the lens is set to M/A. You'll have to have focus disconnected from the shutter release, however, or the lens will refocus itself, i.e. set up AF-ON. Or set the lens to M and focus manually that way.

Alan

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 20-Jul-13 06:05 PM
3297 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Overriding Auto focus"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

I am not sure what you want to do. Do you mean how Dave interpreted it, or were you asking if you can go to manual while in AF mode.

If the latter, yes, lenses with the A/M designation have manual override available even during auto focusing, just grab the focus ring and adjust manually while in Auto mode.
Without A/M feature, you can quickly switch to manual mode either on the lens or front of the body.
That manual override can also lead some people to think their AF does not work when they rest their left hand on the focus ring.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Sat 20-Jul-13 06:47 PM
352 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Overriding Auto focus"
In response to Reply # 2

Bellingham, US

Thank you for your replies. I have the camera set on the "dot" position but I still can't move the focus square around. This is the only reason I shoot in manual focus because I can never figure out the Auto focus. My camera seems pretty arbitrary about where the focus square lands in auto mode. I have been thinking about getting the split prism from Katz Optical.
Thanks,
Bill

(1817-62)

Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Sat 20-Jul-13 06:49 PM
#5. "RE: Overriding Auto focus"
In response to Reply # 3

Bellingham, US

Thank you Stan. I will give it a try.
Bill

(1817-62)

RABaker Registered since 01st Oct 2003Sat 20-Jul-13 07:03 PM
731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Overriding Auto focus"
In response to Reply # 4

Sunnyvale, US

"...but I still can't move the focus square around."
Note that you cannot move the autofocus point in the viewfinder unless the camera's light meter is active. Depending on how you have set your camera's menu selections, the meter may be turning off before you try to move the focus point.

Good luck,
Richard

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sat 20-Jul-13 07:51 PM
2937 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Overriding Auto focus"
In response to Reply # 5

Hatboro, Pa, US

Bill,

What mode do you have the camera in? Is it in M, A, S, P, Scene, or AUTO? If you are in AUTO mode you won't have control of where the focus squares go, the camera will do as it thinks is best. I would suggest putting it in P or A mode. Then you'll be able to put the square where you want and lock it there. For 99% of my shooting I use a single center point. Also you can put the pad to the dot position and center the dot by pushing the center OK button. There is no reason you have to struggle with A or M focus on your lens or only focus manually using a split image finder screen.

Len

Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Sat 20-Jul-13 08:11 PM
#8. "RE: Overriding Auto focus"
In response to Reply # 7
Sat 20-Jul-13 08:37 PM by Bela614

Bellingham, US

Hello Len,
I am shooting in all manual now. I want to shoot Aperture Mode but I cannot see the exposure meter. All other data is in the viewfinder except the exposure meter. Someone said I will not see the exposure meter in Aperture mode because the camera sets the exposure automatically. I guess I have two problems. I am having difficulty seeing the exposure meter in Aperture Mode and I cannot move the little focuser squares around in Aperture mode. It seems I can only do it in Manual. This is not a big problem for me but it irritates me that I cannot move the little square around when I am in Aperture Mode, I have to switch back to Manual mode. I must be doing something wrong. You all have been so helpful though. I really appreciate the time you take to answer my basic questions. I am new to the D7100. I have only had it a week. I went through the manual, read a field guide and watched two videos to get the hang of the thing but my memory is bad.
Thanks,
Bill

Correction. I must be doing something right. I am able to move the focus selector around in Aperture Mode. Thank you all for your help.
Bill

(1817-62)

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 21-Jul-13 12:19 AM
2937 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Overriding Auto focus"
In response to Reply # 8

Hatboro, Pa, US

Good. The focus selector should work in Aperture mode. Now auto focus selection should work fine.

As far as the meter goes it won't show in Aperture or Shutter or program mode because it would be redundant. The exposure is set automatically to be perfect so the meter would always be centered. It's only needed in manual mode where the exposure is not automatic and you have to manually set the aperture and shutter speed or the flash is on.

Len

Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Sun 21-Jul-13 12:11 PM
#10. "RE: Overriding Auto focus"
In response to Reply # 9

Bellingham, US

Thanks for the info Len. I have been trying HDR photography and that is why I have been such a nut about exposure and focus. I really love the results of HDR.
Thanks again
Bill

(1817-62)

Love2Photo Registered since 02nd May 2013Sun 28-Jul-13 02:15 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Overriding Auto focus"
In response to Reply # 8

Closplint, US

>Hello Len,
>I am shooting in all manual now. I want to shoot Aperture
>Mode but I cannot see the exposure meter. All other data is
>in the viewfinder except the exposure meter. Someone said I
>will not see the exposure meter in Aperture mode because the
>camera sets the exposure automatically. I guess I have two
>problems. I am having difficulty seeing the exposure meter in
>Aperture Mode and I cannot move the little focuser squares
>around in Aperture mode. It seems I can only do it in Manual.
> This is not a big problem for me but it irritates me that I
>cannot move the little square around when I am in Aperture
>Mode, I have to switch back to Manual mode. I must be doing
>something wrong. You all have been so helpful though. I
>really appreciate the time you take to answer my basic
>questions. I am new to the D7100. I have only had it a week.
> I went through the manual, read a field guide and watched two
>videos to get the hang of the thing but my memory is bad.
>Thanks,
>Bill
>
>Correction. I must be doing something right. I am able to
>move the focus selector around in Aperture Mode. Thank you
>all for your help.
>Bill

Hello Bill I have a D7000 and sometimes I can’t move my focus square around also. What I found out is, when you are using the camera’s auto-focus mode you have three selections available that relate to auto-focus and control the auto-focus behavior of the camera. They are Single Servo Mode (AFS), Continuous Servo Mode (AFC), and Auto Servo Mode (AFA). The key word here is Servo. The servo system is what controls the motors used for focusing. Another part of the system is called the AF-Area Mode. The choices available in AF-Area Mode can be separated into four different categories, Single Point-AF, Dynamic Area-AF, 3D-Tracking, and Auto-Area AF. In all AF-Area Modes (except Auto), the sensor used as the initial point of focus can be selected manually. I think this is what you are talking about. When I do focus stacking I move the focus square around to focus on different parts of the subject without moving the camera. To get to this feature look at the front of the camera and below lens release button there is the focus mode selector. Inside the focus mode selector there is a button called AF-Mode Button. Press this button and you will be able to change the servo mode and the AF-Area modes. If your camera is in AF-Area Mode (Auto) there is your problem, turn the sub-command dial to get out of Auto. Hope this helps.
Hugh

Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Sun 28-Jul-13 11:44 AM
#12. "RE: Overriding Auto focus"
In response to Reply # 11

Bellingham, US

Hello Hugh,
Your solution worked like a charm. I can now move the little squares around using the multi selector pad but notice sometimes that the auto focus will not work properly and because of this will not let me take a pic. It will not lock on to the focus point and will not turn to a dot in the viewfinder. When this happens the camera will not work. I supposed this is something I will have to live with after all nothing is perfect.
Thanks for your thoughtful reply,
Bill

(1817-62)

Love2Photo Registered since 02nd May 2013Mon 29-Jul-13 12:10 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Overriding Auto focus"
In response to Reply # 12

Closplint, US

Sorry to hear you are still having some problems. Have you checked your Custom settings? On my D7000 the Auto focus settings are in the A section of these settings a1 - a8. Check your settings there. Check your manual to understand these settings they may be different on your camera.

Hope this helps,
Hugh

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Mon 29-Jul-13 01:11 AM
1614 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Overriding Auto focus"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Not locking onto focus could just be that you chose an area without enough contrast for the camera to achieve focus..

Sheri Becker

Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Mon 29-Jul-13 12:09 PM
#15. "RE: Overriding Auto focus"
In response to Reply # 14

Bellingham, US

Thank you Sheri and Hugh,

I have been going over the auto focus information in my manual. My auto focus works 90 percent of the time. I think it is as Sheri has said that there is not enough contrast for the auto focus to lock on to. I am still thinking about getting the split prism from Katz optical.
Thanks for your help,
Bill

(1817-62)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29037 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.