Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28989
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Failed autofocus - am I missing something?" Previous topic | Next topic
romandesign Registered since 02nd May 2013Fri 19-Jul-13 03:22 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Failed autofocus - am I missing something?"

CA

Hi, recently I have shot about and hour of video with my 1 month old D7100 and after I got back to shooting pictures I found out that autofocus doesn't work anymore. I went through the settings, tested on three lenses (with and without internal motor) - same thing.

When I half-press shutter button, focus does not engage (illuminator does not engage too despite being set to "on"), I have a blinking "> <" in the viewfinder and if I wait a couple of seconds, lens goes to infinity and back, still no confirmed focus.

Am I missing anything, maybe I forgot some setting, or do I have a broken camera? I hope they will honor US warranty in Canada - Nikon website says they should if I have a US receipt, which I do.

I even tried to reflash recent firmware and that didn't help. I don't thing there is a full factory settings reset, is there?

Any advice?

Thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
golfercat Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2012Fri 19-Jul-13 03:44 AM
190 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Failed autofocus - am I missing something?"
In response to Reply # 0

Menifee, US

It would be helpful to know what lens you are using, esp if it is a G or D. What are your autofocus settings?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Fri 19-Jul-13 05:29 AM
4147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Failed autofocus - am I missing something?"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Going way back to the basics.... Some folks like to shoot video using manual focus. Do you have auto-focus turned on?

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

romandesign Registered since 02nd May 2013Fri 19-Jul-13 01:35 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Failed autofocus - am I missing something?"
In response to Reply # 2

CA

I tried it on three lenses - 18-200 VR, Nikon 35mm 1.4, Nikon 50mm 1.4 (no motor). Same behavior on all of them. I checked the switch, AF is on. Tried all AF settings I could find.

efd123 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jan 2009Fri 26-Jul-13 02:48 AM
411 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Failed autofocus - am I missing something?"
In response to Reply # 0

Eldridge, US

Have you set the camera to use back button focus (AF-ON)? I believe this disables the shutter button focus. Just press the AE -L/AF-L button to test.

Dave

romandesign Registered since 02nd May 2013Mon 29-Jul-13 04:05 PM
#5. "RE: Failed autofocus - am I missing something?"
In response to Reply # 4

CA

Thanks, no it didn't help.

NickMilner Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2013Tue 30-Jul-13 06:44 AM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Failed autofocus - am I missing something?"
In response to Reply # 0

Manchester, GB

I take it you're trying to focus on something nice and contrasty, and within the focussing range of your lenses? Also check that the lenses are firmly seated (see if they'll rotate that extra hair's breadth).

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 30-Jul-13 11:41 AM
8510 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Failed autofocus - am I missing something?"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Have you been able to focus using Live View? It is a completely different focus system than the viewfinder AF.

It sounds to me like the lens is simply hunting - the subject or scene lacks a clear enough focus area to achieve focus. That's normal in low light or low contrast situations.

While it sounds like a problem with the focus motor, your lenses have a focus motor in the lens so it is unlikely to be the problem.

Try some simple test with an easy subject and good lighting.

Try changing the AF area mode. Use single point rather than one of the dynamic modes.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Fall Workshops - Golf Photography at the Tour Championship and Fall Color in the Smokies

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

romandesign Registered since 02nd May 2013Tue 30-Jul-13 02:24 PM
#8. "RE: Failed autofocus - am I missing something?"
In response to Reply # 7

CA

Live view AF works fine with all lenses. Normal AF doesn't work with 3 lenses, one of which doesn't have a motor (50mm 1.4). I have tried all AF modes including point AF and different subjects and lighting conditions.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28989 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.