Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28140
View in threaded mode

Subject: "D7100 with 300mm + 1.4TC = ?" Previous topic | Next topic
doc85 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2008Wed 12-Jun-13 01:51 PM
387 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100 with 300mm + 1.4TC = ?"

West Lafayette, US

I am mostly a bird photographer so always looking for more reach.
Now, if I used a D7100 with my 300mm + a 1.4 TC (420mm) would I have the equivalent of 630mm at 24 MP? That sounds like a better birder than the same lens combination with my D800, or would it be?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 12-Jun-13 01:57 PM
28316 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100 with 300mm + 1.4TC = ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

If you're looking for maximum linear resolution, then a D7100 does better than a D800. Used with the same focal length, the D7100 gives you 24MP compared with about 15MP in the D800's DX Crop area.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

doc85 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2008Wed 12-Jun-13 02:11 PM
387 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 with 300mm + 1.4TC = ?"
In response to Reply # 1

West Lafayette, US

Thank you for the reply Brian.
Just thought of an additional question. Will the D7100 without anti-aliasing be sharper than the D800?

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 12-Jun-13 02:21 PM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7100 with 300mm + 1.4TC = ?"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 12-Jun-13 02:22 PM by km6xz

St Petersburg, RU

If the same lens and location is used, than yes because that the subject fills the frame with more pixels defining the subject. If the subject filled the frame on both cameras more pixels would defining the subject with the D800
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

doc85 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2008Wed 12-Jun-13 02:34 PM
#4. "RE: D7100 with 300mm + 1.4TC = ?"
In response to Reply # 3

West Lafayette, US

Thanks Stan. That is clear, but I wonder if the absence of a anti-alaising filter will make the image sharper with the D7100?

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 13-Jun-13 07:48 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7100 with 300mm + 1.4TC = ?"
In response to Reply # 4

St Petersburg, RU

Depends. To see the 1/2 pixel diameter difference everything has to be optimum, rigid mount, high resolving power lens, under the point of diffraction limiting which starts at f/8 on a D800 and lower on a D7100.
Theoretically, yes, it will be sharper but many things get in the way of that in practical field results.
Again, if optimum distance needed to fill the frame on both, than the D800 will have higher resolving power.

None of this makes any difference in the overall impression of the image, both are capable of stunning as well as boring images
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

doc85 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2008Thu 13-Jun-13 01:10 PM
#6. "RE: D7100 with 300mm + 1.4TC = ?"
In response to Reply # 5

West Lafayette, US

So true. From reports I have heard, you have no end of stunning subjects to photograph in St Petersburg. Thanks for your answers to my questions.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28140 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.