Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28045
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Battery charger?" Previous topic | Next topic
bentrod Registered since 20th Feb 2012Fri 07-Jun-13 09:50 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Battery charger?"

muskegon, US

I lost the battery charger for my D7000. What is a recommended replacement? The original for $46 or a $15 3d party?

Thanks

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Sat 08-Jun-13 02:45 AM
3021 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Battery charger?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 08-Jun-13 02:47 AM by RockyIII

Raleigh, US

I imagine some of the aftermarket battery chargers work fine, but why take a chance? I would replace it with a Nikon charger.

Maybe while you are thinking about it, you will find the one you lost.

Rocky

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sat 08-Jun-13 03:15 PM
3980 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Battery charger?"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

>The original for $46 or a $15 3d
>party?

I normally recommend Nikon-branded parts and accessories. there are exceptions though.

I tested and reviewed this one from BestBatt and found that it works properly.

I can't offer an opinion on the quality of the unit's internal parts, and I can't comment on the quality of the plastic shell or on what sort of minor banging around it will tolerate compared to the tough units made by/supplied to Nikon, but it did a perfectly good job as a charger sitting on a desktop. No battery problems, no undercharging, no overcharging. We unplugged the unit, deliberately pushed it off a desktop onto a hardwood floor which dislodged something inside the unit that caused it to stop working.

The Expendables: comes with a bonus car charger; BestBatt is pretty good about exhanges during the very short warranty period for these sorts of devices.

The Party at Kitty & Stud's: it's a wall wart-style device; no AC cord; not quite up to Nikon's construction quality.

-----

This one, sold through DigiAccessories is another story. It's cheap, three of them failed (in a row) after anywhere from two to four charging sessions. On one of the test units, the flip-out AC, two-prong connector simply fell off when we reconnected the unit to do a third charging session. We unplugged a unit, deliberately pushed it off a desktop onto a hardwood floor which caused the unit to pop open like a pinata smacked by Chris Davis.

Die Hard: you can get one for five bucks.

Hudson Hawk: the bonus car charger fits so tightly into the accessory outlet that you're liable to break the thing; none of the test units were still working after the fourth charging sessions; the flip-out AC connector can easily break; it's a wall wart-style device so there's no AC cord.

-----

The OEM Nikon MH-25 is tough, reliable, withstands accidental falls off a desktop, comes with an AC cord, and is fully warranted by Nikon. Best price I've seen for a real MH-25 is the same price you found already - $46.95.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

bentrod Registered since 20th Feb 2012Sat 08-Jun-13 03:28 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Battery charger?"
In response to Reply # 2

muskegon, US

Thanks all,

After a hard search, I did find my original. I am quite sure I will get a backup, and it will be Nikon.

Castlk Registered since 06th Apr 2013Sun 16-Jun-13 04:44 AM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Battery charger?"
In response to Reply # 3

Farmingville, US

>Thanks all,
>
>After a hard search, I did find my original. I am quite sure I
>will get a backup, and it will be Nikon.
I bought a MH-25 back up charger as well.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 16-Jun-13 02:55 PM
8523 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Battery charger?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 16-Jun-13 06:10 PM by ericbowles

Atlanta, US

I'd try to use a Nikon charger. You don't want to overcharge or overheat your Nikon battery - it significantly reduces battery life. I would not want a third party charger unless I could be sure it would not reduce my battery life. That being said, there probably is not a lot of risk as battery chargers are relatively simple. If you are buying generic batteries you might as well buy a generic charger.

You can buy a refurbished V1 kit for $299. It comes with a battery, charger, lens, and camera body. The battery and charger are the same as the D7000 battery and charger (the V2 is different). The parts in the kit are worth more than the kit itself. There is one from Cameta on ebay for $249 right now.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

RRMarsh Registered since 24th Jun 2013Mon 24-Jun-13 08:40 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Battery charger?"
In response to Reply # 5
Mon 24-Jun-13 09:29 AM by RRMarsh

Auckland, NZ

It's glad, you got your original back. Mine got damaged a month ago. So, I bought a BG-N4 Battery Grip and portable lithium charger from this site. It seem battery grip doubled the capacity and backup time.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Thu 27-Jun-13 11:46 PM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Battery charger?"
In response to Reply # 6

Los Angeles, US

eBay. used Nikon chargers show up all the time.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28045 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.