Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27983
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Memory cards for 7100" Previous topic | Next topic
Seragone Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2012Thu 06-Jun-13 04:34 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Memory cards for 7100"

Reston, US

I searched the forums about which cards to use in my 7100 but saw only messages re 7000. So, what r your recommendations? I will be taking an extended vacation so want enough capacity. I think maybe three 16 MBA Sandisk extreme pro. I take raw photos but maybe will try some video. Thanks Stephen

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Sixmileman Registered since 06th Mar 2013Thu 06-Jun-13 08:17 PM
131 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Memory cards for 7100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

As others have suggested, the SanDisk SDHC 32GB Extreme Pro Class 10, which has a write speed of 95 MB/S, is the card that maximizes the buffer depth and frame rate in Continuous High mode. If you're shooting RAW, depending on how long a vacation you're taking and how many shots you're likely to take, I think you'll need more than 16 MB cards. My D D7100 set for RAW capture shows 290 images per 16 MB card (I am ordering four 32 MB cards) at about $60 each at B&H.

Enjoy your vacation.

Seragone Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2012Thu 06-Jun-13 08:55 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Memory cards for 7100"
In response to Reply # 0

Reston, US

Thanks for the reply. Any risk of buying the cards at Amazon? They are about half the price at B&H.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Thu 06-Jun-13 11:16 PM
381 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Memory cards for 7100"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri 07-Jun-13 02:18 AM by MarkM10431

jacksonville, US

Hi, I too just got my 7100. i did not look at the back of the manual for cards and i ordered these guys from Amazon: 2 of Sony 16GB SDHC/SDXC Class 10 UHS-1 R40 Memory Card (SF16UY/TQMN)

no issue so far, and I doubt i will have issues. shooting just raw and not raw + you should get about 240 images per card. i can tell you when I get home. take note that the images available do not reflect slot 2, so 2 16G cards will get you north of 400 images. I have 4 16 gig cards now and plan on getting 2 32 or 64 cards for when i go on trips

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

RRowlett Silver Member Charter MemberFri 07-Jun-13 12:11 AM
1087 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Memory cards for 7100"
In response to Reply # 0

Hamilton, US

You need a UHS-I class 10 card SDHC card. The fastest write at 95 Mb/s, which is important for shooting long bursts of RAW images without lag. You can obatain slightly slower cards at a lower price. I bought some Transcend 32 Gb cards with write speeds of 45 Mb/s for about $30 each. No problems in my 7100.

Shop around, and look at the write speeds to get an idea of how well the cards will perform.

Cheers.

martinjp Registered since 02nd Mar 2013Fri 07-Jun-13 02:39 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Memory cards for 7100"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>Thanks for the reply. Any risk of buying the cards at
>Amazon? They are about half the price at B&H.

The ones that are half the price are not the 95 MB/s Pro, but the 45 MB/s class 10 without the Pro designation. The Pro cards are about $2.50 more at Amazon.

I purchase memory cards there as long as they're sold by Amazon. i went with the 45 MB/s cards because I rarely shoot continuous mode and I needed six 32GB cards right after I got the camera for a trip to see our new twin grandsons, so price was a deciding factor.

I did shoot continuous mode once and the buffer filled quickly, so go with the Pro card if you speed.

Sixmileman Registered since 06th Mar 2013Fri 07-Jun-13 03:30 PM
131 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Memory cards for 7100"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I have bought almost all my gear through Amazon. Absolutely if they're 50% B&H price go with Amazon, but when I ordered B&H was cheaper than Amazon. Be sure you're getting the very same card, comparing apples to apples price-wise.

SteveInReno Registered since 18th May 2013Fri 07-Jun-13 05:15 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Memory cards for 7100"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 07-Jun-13 05:15 PM by SteveInReno

Reno, US

If you go to the bottom of this Nikon page you'll see a list of the cards they approve for the D7100. I recently had an issue using a non-approved card in my D7000, so at this moment in time I'm hesitant to suggest using something not on the Nikon list.

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7100/spec.htm

Edit: forgot the link!

RRowlett Silver Member Charter MemberSat 08-Jun-13 04:02 PM
1087 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Memory cards for 7100"
In response to Reply # 7

Hamilton, US

One of the nice things about this forum is you can ask around if folks have used a particular brand and size memory card. Nikon doesn't do an exhaustive test of memory cards for compatibility, and I would be willing to bet that there is a lot of rebranding of particular chips and assemblies. I threw pretty much anything on sale from a reasonably known brand at my D100 with nary a problem. Over the years, I've had no problem with Kingston, Transcend, Simpletech, Sandisk, PNY, Sony, Lexar, Panasonic memory cards in a variety of formats (CF, SD, microSD, etc.) The main thing is to know what you are getting in terms of class and write speed of memory card. If you know what you are looking for in terms of write speeds (30 Mb/s, 45 Mb/s, 90 Mb/s, etc.) you can get quite a deal. Depending on the write speed, you can get memory for as cheap as $1 per Gb.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27983 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.