Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27977
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor" Previous topic | Next topic
greynolds Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Jul 2008Thu 06-Jun-13 03:14 PM
95 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"

US

Looking for opinions here...

I sold my D7000 on eBay a few days ago and the buyer is complaining that the sensor is dirty. He included a few sample shots shot at f22 (they're attached to eBay messages and I can't figure out how to save them so I could post them here) and I do see a relatively small number (5-6 as best I can tell) of spots. I hadn't noticed any issues with spots before selling it, but hadn't thought to run a test to specifically check for that. In my listing I included the text:

"This listing is for a used Nikon D7000 in excellent cosmetic condition and perfect working order (I'm not aware of any issues with the camera or any of the accessories)."

He's asking me to cover the cost of professional cleaning ($50 at his local camera shop) or to return the camera for a refund if the built-in cleaning process doesn't work. My inclination is to offer to split the cost of the cleaning with him, which I think is reasonable. If he returns the camera, he's responsible for the shipping and I obviously have the hassle of relisting it (and either cleaning the sensor or disclosing it in my listing now that I know that it's not perfectly clean).

Does this seem like a reasonable resolution that should leave everyone happy?

Geoff

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Thu 06-Jun-13 04:10 PM
5816 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 06-Jun-13 04:16 PM by mklass

Tacoma, US

Only you can decide what is reasonable, but sensor cleaning is normal maintenance and I think the buyer should just do it an stop complaining. Would he return a used car because it needed an oil change?

"Professional" sensor cleaning may make the problem worse, depending on the professional. That he or she hasn't just tried the built-in cleaning option to see if it solves the problem is also silly. A quick blow out might also solve the problem.

You listing did not mention that the camera had a clean sensor. Did the buyer ask a question specifically about cleaning? It is also possible that dust could have gotten into the camera after the buyer got it while he or she was futzing around mounting a lens or looking into the camera.

The buyer may not be familiar with DSLR's but that isn't your problem. It sounds to me like the buyer went looking for a problem, but has no understanding of what his results mean and how to fix it. If it is truly just dirt, and not a damaged sensor, then he should just learn to clean it or get it cleaned.

Sy Simms used to say: "An educated consumer is our best customer." What he probably also said, but was never quoted, is: "An uneducated customer is a big PIA."

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

greynolds Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Jul 2008Thu 06-Jun-13 04:19 PM
95 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"
In response to Reply # 1
Thu 06-Jun-13 04:21 PM by greynolds

US

Thanks for your reply - I pretty much agree that he's probably just looking for something to complain about and I suspect that the vast majority of used digital cameras that are sold most likely have at least some amount of dust on the sensor (I suspect it would take some very good luck in finding one that's perfectly clean). The problem is that if I tell him he's on his own, he'll most likely leave me negative feedback which I'd prefer to avoid.

You're correct that my listing made no claims that the sensor was clean. And no, he didn't send me any question asking if the sensor was clean - which obviously would have prompted me to check.

Geoff

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 06-Jun-13 04:53 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu 06-Jun-13 04:57 PM by billD80

US

I sold my D80, D200 and D7000 on eBay...

I NEVER checked for sensor spots at f/22 prior to sale, nor do I think a used item purchase of a DSLR should have a built-in assumption of a spot-free sensor.

I've NEVER seen a used DSLR advertised on eBay as spot free.

Frankly I doubt if KEH, B&H, etc., used DSLR's come with a "spot-free" guarantee.

Consider saying, "The camera you purchased is in excellent shape, functioning perfectly. Even new cameras will ship with some sensor dust, viewable when images are shot at f/22. To use this as a criteria on a used item, in otherwise perfect working order is not reasonable. I would not invest in a sensor cleaning for such few spots, inasmuch as others will soon take their place in very short order."

I would calmly dig my heels in.

Lastly, I would add that this discussion will likely wind up on another forum...

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

EZRDRZ Registered since 20th Jan 2013Thu 06-Jun-13 05:23 PM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

Hi

I think you already gave him a good deal on the camera if he got it at a good price... and $50 isnt much...for example. So you arent giving him much more...literally the cost of a lense filter.

Is the no chance the buyer could make a complaint for example through Pay Pal? In that case you might end up doing a refund and not getting the camera back!! Look at your Ts&Cs...buyer protection!

And, you told him it not only looked perfect but it was in perfect (PERFECT) working order, as you stated. Sorry but I have to side with the buyer on this one...he found a good buy otherwise he wouldnt have bought it.

Regards

JerryLoSardo Silver Member Charter MemberThu 06-Jun-13 05:24 PM
876 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 06-Jun-13 08:20 PM by JerryLoSardo

Frederick, US

Sounds to me like the buyer has become paranoid after reading too many "there's dust on my sensor" postings in the D600 forum and/or he sees a quick way to make $50. If it were me I would call his bluff and suggest that he return the camera if not satisfied. I would bet that he would change his tune. And if he does return the camera, you're still better off by avoiding the hassle of dealing with that type of buyer.

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 06-Jun-13 05:42 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"
In response to Reply # 4

US

>And, you told him it not only looked perfect but it was in
>perfect (PERFECT) working order, as you stated. Sorry but I
>have to side with the buyer on this one...he found a good buy
>otherwise he wouldnt have bought it.

The camera, with the 5 or 6 spots, apparently is in perfect working order.

If sensor dust was a working criteria it would be commonly mentioned in new and used DSLR sales.

IF IT MATTERED TO THE BUYER, THE BUYER COULD HAVE ASKED ABOUT IT.

Imagine this: I buy a used D800e, get buyer's remorse, or use it for a shoot, deliberately expose the sensor to the environment... then take a few shots at f/22! "My heavens! This camera has 9 dust blobs on the DSLR!!!! I want a refund." Or better still, "I'd like $50 bucks off what I paid..."

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Thu 06-Jun-13 05:48 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"
In response to Reply # 3

Toronto, CA

I agree with Bill - I wouldn't give this guy a dime.

Sensor dust of the nature you describe is normal wear and tear. It would be like complaining about surface scratches on the screen protector or small wear marks on the grip. It ultimately does not even impact the normal operation of the camera. Everyone's DSLR would show a few dust spots if operated as described.

You buy used you get used.

Also, I suspect a rocket blower would clear out those spots.

Jason

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 06-Jun-13 07:56 PM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"
In response to Reply # 5

St Petersburg, RU

I like Jerry's suggestion. The risk in arguing with him is him giving a hostile rating of you as a seller. He knows that and feels emboldened to get whatever he wants.
Sympathize with him and take him up on his offer to take the camera back since it is so "defective". Then find a local buyer who has not been reading DPR.

Either he is trying to scam you or he bought a camera that is far beyond his knowledge. Just be happy you did not sell him a house and he wants a refund because a window was dirty.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberThu 06-Jun-13 08:41 PM
18317 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"
In response to Reply # 8

Rancho Cordova, US

Just my opinion...
1) It is a used item, buyer could have asked questions about sensors.
2) Dust is a fact of life.
3) Item is used and as I understand eBay purchases, is sold as is without warranty, expressed or implied.
4) Dust = normal operational wear and tear.

I would take it back with a 20% restocking fee.

I would consider leaving negative feedback on the buyer.

_____

Off topic, I bought a new house in a new tract several years ago, at the market peak. I had them replace just about every window in the house because they were scratched by the subcontractor hired to clean the windows (they use razor blades). Not a manufacturer's defect, it was an installation defect, builder had to provide me with products free from defect. It was the architect in me.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

greynolds Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Jul 2008Thu 06-Jun-13 10:11 PM
#10. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"
In response to Reply # 9

US

>Just my opinion...
>1) It is a used item, buyer could have asked questions about
>sensors.
>2) Dust is a fact of life.
>3) Item is used and as I understand eBay purchases, is sold
>as is without warranty, expressed or implied.
>4) Dust = normal operational wear and tear.

Agreed.

>I would take it back with a 20% restocking fee.

I suspect that would have a 100% chance of me getting negative feedback from the buyer and I'm pretty sure it would be against eBay policy to do that unless it was explicitly mentioned in the seller's return policy.

>I would consider leaving negative feedback on the buyer.

Not an option anymore - in one of their genius moves, eBay only allows sellers to leave positive feedback for buyers now.

Geoff

greynolds Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Jul 2008Thu 06-Jun-13 10:13 PM
#11. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"
In response to Reply # 8

US

> Either he is trying to scam you or he bought a camera that is
>far beyond his knowledge. Just be happy you did not sell him a
>house and he wants a refund because a window was dirty.
I like that analogy .

Geoff

pimadude Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Nov 2012Thu 06-Jun-13 10:20 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"
In response to Reply # 9

Tucson, US

As a Seller, eBay does not allow the OP to leave negative feedback for a Buyer (they used to... but eBay has not permitted this for some time). If the Buyer chooses to file a complaint with eBay, most of the odds are in his/her favor - eBay is a Buyer's game, not a Seller's.

If it were me, I would either settle with the Buyer and get it over with, or ask them to return the camera. I would also suggest that most persons selling camera equipment are better off selling them on a forum such as Nikonians, NOT on eBay! Just my opinion, based on hard experience.

Jim

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Thu 06-Jun-13 10:49 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"
In response to Reply # 8
Thu 06-Jun-13 10:50 PM by JPJ

Toronto, CA

>I like Jerry's suggestion. The risk in arguing with him is
>him giving a hostile rating of you as a seller.

This is why I always sell my equipment locally using craigslist. Only cash, only in person transactions. After 6 sales and thousands of dollars, not one problem. I meet the buyer, they try out the product when we meet and it is understood that once we part company we will never speak again. No seller ratings, no whiney buyers thinking they can work the system. Who needs that. I have only had one no show on a meet and never had someone show up and not buy.

I may add that if it was bought and shipped, who pays for the return shipping and will the buyer want the initial shipping refunded? Either way the buyer is going to slam you unless you take a loss. I still say you tell him to stick it where the sun don't shine.

In the future sell locally and in person and stay away from eBay - I for one have had several bad experiences buying from there so I avoid it completely.

Jason

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Thu 06-Jun-13 11:17 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"
In response to Reply # 0

Kingston, CA

Consider that he may not take it to a reputable place for cleaning and/or he will not be happy with the results. In this instance, you will be out some portion of the unsatisfactory cleaning costs and no further ahead in the transaction.

If it were me I'd have him send it back at his expense and then clean it myself and then try again selling it.

Peter

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Thu 06-Jun-13 11:31 PM
5816 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"
In response to Reply # 13

Tacoma, US

I'm sure we've all had an issue with buying and selling one way or another. My first choice is to do a deal on Nikonians, but I have had one transaction here on a lens that had a bad aperture spring and when sent to Nikon for repair also needed the VR repaired. The seller said it must have been damaged in transit and didn't seem to care any more than to say that. He has since disappeared from Nikonians. (At the time he did have several hundred posts.)

I've had decent luck with eBay, and my only problem purchase was quickly remedied by the seller. It's my second choice as a transaction mode. Beccause it is more cumbersome and expensive when I am the seller.

Craigslist has a host of issues for me, although I have used it. Since I don't want strangers coming to my house (too many horror stories about that) it usually means going somewhere to meet somebody. Around here that can mean a 30 mile one way drive to a convenient meeting place. Then there is the question of who are you meeting and how many people are there. Do you need to bring a friend or 2 for added protection? Since an inspection at a meeting may not turn up all issues, what do you do later after you part ways?

All in all, no method is perfect. You have to decide what works best for you. Do the best you can to state conditions up front and hope you've covered everything. But there is little you can do to protect yourself from and an a--h--- .

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Thu 06-Jun-13 11:59 PM
3523 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"
In response to Reply # 14

St. Augustine, US

eBay buyers are notorious for filing false claims about sellers. It's just a case of trying to scam the seller. I've sold items there before and the buyer has claimed some non-existent "defect." I'd take a look at the buyer's feedback and see if they are true photographers or if they buy and sell everything from nick-knacks to auto parts. If it is the latter I wouldn't give them one red cent.

And, oh yes, it is ridiculous that eBay won't allow sellers to post negative feedback on buyers.

Graham
From St. Augustine, FL. "I like photographers, you don't ask questions." Ronald Reagan to White House Press Photogs

<http://www.ancientcityphotography.com/>

greynolds Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Jul 2008Fri 07-Jun-13 12:34 AM
#17. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"
In response to Reply # 14
Fri 07-Jun-13 12:52 AM by greynolds

US

The issue of the repair shop doing a shoddy job has occurred to me. If I were to offer to split the cost of the cleaning (which would be worth it to not have to deal with having it shipped back, hoping he packs it well and didn't cause any cosmetic damage, and then reselling it), the terms would be that once he has a repair shop touch it it's his camera to keep.

Geoff

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Fri 07-Jun-13 12:35 AM
2832 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"
In response to Reply # 0

Milton, CA

Sounds to me like this buyer should not have bought a DSLR.
I'm on my third Nikon DSLR body now - D70S, then D90, now D7000. Both the D70S and D90 had easy sensors to clean. Whenever I saw spots on them I always managed to get rid of it with a rocket blower.

The D7000 got some spots recently during a trip to Arches and Canyonlands, and the rocket blower could not remove the spots. I went to a camera store and purchased an Arctic Butterfly brush. The store clerk told me he would never attempt to clean his own sensor; he would much rather send the body to a repair center for professional cleaning. Nevertheless, I went home and used the Arctic Butterfly. And guess what? The sensor is clean again. Who knows, sometime in the future I may have to go the wet cleaning way.

This has been said in these forums over and over. Dust on the sensor is a fact of life, and if one isn't willing to deal with it, then don't buy a DSLR. To complain about a few dust spots on a used camera that one purchased is ridiculous.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

greynolds Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Jul 2008Fri 07-Jun-13 12:45 AM
#19. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"
In response to Reply # 16

US

As you probably know, you only have a limited window where you can see what else a buyer has purchased (anything more than 90 days back won't give you any details about the item). Of his recent purchases, there's my D7000, a Nikon 18-200 lens, a lens hood for the 18-200, and a coin. But even if he bought a bunch of diverse things, that really doesn't disqualify him from being a photographer. Based on his messages, he upgraded from a D70 (which he says he sold - I wonder if he cleaned the sensor first?) to the D7000 and probably doesn't have many lenses (if any) other than the 18-200, but again that doesn't really mean anything. I buy all sorts of different stuff on eBay as it's a great way to find things you can't find anywhere else.

The question is really "what's the right thing to do" rather than is he an accomplished enough photographer to be worthy of good treatment.

I'm inclined to agree with the general consensus here that his complaint really isn't a valid one in terms of expecting a refund or for me to cover the cleaning cost. But I also want to be a reasonable person and avoid getting negative feedback.

He hasn't gotten back to me yet as to whether the built-in cleaning procedure helped or not. If he doesn't get back to me, I guess I don't need to worry about it as the ball is in his court right now.

Geoff

greynolds Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Jul 2008Fri 07-Jun-13 12:51 AM
#20. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"
In response to Reply # 13

US

As far as shipping goes, my return policy clearly states that the buyer pays return shipping. The original shipping isn't spelled out one way or another. Given the situation here, my inclination would be to not refund the initial shipping unless he makes a huge deal over it. If the camera were actually defective, such as the power switch not working, metering being broken, or some other obvious major issue, I'd refund the shipping both ways without thinking twice about it.

Geoff

Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Fri 07-Jun-13 01:26 AM
3523 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"
In response to Reply # 18

St. Augustine, US

"The question is really "what's the right thing to do" rather than is he an accomplished enough photographer to be worthy of good treatment."

What I was trying to say is that you can get an idea of the knowledge level of the buyer by looking at his/her prior purchases. If they buy a lot of camera gear I would give their request more credence than someone who just buys a whole range of "stuff." Some people buy photography gear so that they can resell it in certain parts of the world where they can sell it for 50% more. I always worry when the mailing address is some warehouse next to the docks.

Graham
From St. Augustine, FL. "I like photographers, you don't ask questions." Ronald Reagan to White House Press Photogs

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Fri 07-Jun-13 02:26 AM
524 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"
In response to Reply # 0

Omaha, US

Coming late to the party here, but count me as an additional vote for the "take him up on his offer to return the camera" plan. Odds are, in calling his bluff, that will be the end of it. If he does return it, no problem. Sell it on to the next guy.

People like your buyer can never be satisfied. He's being (IMHO) quite unreasonable and silly.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

NDGraham Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2007Fri 07-Jun-13 06:25 PM
612 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"
In response to Reply # 22

Dorval (Montreal), CA

Since you can't be sure when dust allegedly got onto the sensor (when you had it or since he has had it and used it to take the photo that showed the so called dust spots), it is a shared problem so I like your idea of offering him $25 toward the cleaning as a final transaction. I think that is very generous and I think the buyer is being priggish.
I once bought a D200 on eBay. When I got it, the camera had 12,000 shutter actuations and the aperture operating mechanism broke down within two months of my purchasing it. The repair at Nikon Service cost me the difference between buying it new and buying it used on eBay. I had no recourse against the seller at all. "Let the buyer beware."
Neill
Proud to be a Montreal Nikonian
http://picasaweb.google.com/NeillDGraham

greynolds Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Jul 2008Fri 07-Jun-13 06:54 PM
#24. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"
In response to Reply # 23

US

The buyer got back to me last night and said that the built-in cleaning procedure didn't remove the spots. So I sent him the offer of returning the camera (he would have to pay return shipping) or a partial refund of $25 to be put towards sensor cleaning. He got back to me this morning accepting the $25 and promised to leave positive feedback after receiving the refund. I sent him the refund immediately - hopefully he'll make good on his promise of leaving positive feedback.

In the end, he's getting himself a great deal on the camera ($625 after the $25 refund) as it's truly in excellent cosmetic condition and only had 4139 shutter actuations when I sold it.

Geoff

torwood Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2010Fri 07-Jun-13 08:49 PM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"
In response to Reply # 24

Jefferson Hills, US

I think you made the right call. I buy a lot of stuff on ebay, and I wouldn't buy anything for over $100 from any individual who doesn't have a 99% or better feedback rating. So, if the $25 avoided a negative rating and a scathing comment that everybody who looks to buy from you can read, it was worth it.

I have bought some camera gear on ebay, but only once from an individual (usually from a camera store like Cameta or Adorama, who can put some good deals on refurbs on Ebay). It was a used 35-70 f2.8D lens, and I sweated it out until I got it and checked it out. Big stores, who do a ton of volume, will get some neg feedback. That's just quality control percentages. But, I would expect that individuals who sell one or two pieces of gear a year, should not have any.

You still got over 60% equity on a used camera that has been discontinued and surpassed in the line. I think that's still a good deal for you, too.

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Sat 08-Jun-13 12:53 PM
137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 09-Jun-13 11:00 AM by hyphotographer

GB

I would clean the sensor before shipping it.

I use the Delkin kit, comes with a bottle of fluid and some medium size swabs. Swipe the sensor quickly and carefully, without too much fluid for streak free shine!

You could clean it regularly if you swap lenses around many times like me.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 08-Jun-13 07:23 PM
#27. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"

US

In the end, he's getting himself a great deal on the camera
>($625 after the $25 refund) as it's truly in excellent
>cosmetic condition and only had 4139 shutter actuations when I
>sold it.

I think you were very generous, and I hope the buyer lives up to their promise on the positive feedback.

Last time I bought a used camera from KEH they didn't know how many actuations were on the shutter!

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Sat 08-Jun-13 07:58 PM
3019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"

Raleigh, US

I don't think you were obligated to pay anything, but it was nice of you to do so. I hope you didn't do it out of fear of poor feedback. Even a brand new camera off the shelf sometimes has sensor dust.

If the buyer continues to pay $50 for a "professional" cleaning every time he notices dust on the sensor, he is going to spend a lot of money. Anybody with a DSLR should learn to clean their own sensor. When I clean mine, I am fairly certain I am more meticulous than the guys at my local camera store would be.

Rocky

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Sat 08-Jun-13 08:24 PM
#29. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"
In response to Reply # 26

Toronto, CA

If it wasn't 6 measley dust spots, I suspect this buyer would have found something else to complain about.

I agree with those saying it was extremely generous to give this guy anything, I would of told him to take a walk. Used items have normal wear and tear - a few dust spots, which the buyer may have caused when he put a lens on the camera, are transitory normal w&t. Sadly, this guy will grind someone else on eBay in the future.

Jason

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Sat 08-Jun-13 09:36 PM
1599 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"

US

If he does leave neg feedback, you have all the correspondence..done through the eBay message system I hope. You can try to fight it.

Sheri Becker

greynolds Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Jul 2008Sat 08-Jun-13 10:46 PM
#31. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"
In response to Reply # 28

US

I did offer to split the cost hoping to avoid negative feedback. In the grand scheme of things, negative feedback would cause me a lot more trouble (and probably cost me more money) than the $25. If he had taken the option of returning it, I would have had to start the whole process all over again which isn't something I was looking forward to.

I actually had to list the camera twice already as the buyer the first time around was a non-paying bidder. After he "won" the auction, he sent me a message saying he decided he couldn't afford it...

I've generally had excellent results buying and selling on eBay, but there are some bad apples everywhere you go these days.

Geoff

greynolds Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Jul 2008Sat 08-Jun-13 10:48 PM
#32. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"
In response to Reply # 27

US

The guy did end up leaving positive feedback.

Geoff

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Sun 09-Jun-13 02:59 PM
524 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"
In response to Reply # 29

Omaha, US

I tend to agree.

Dust is inherent in digital photography. You can try to fight it, but you'll get dust at some point or another. Dealing with it is just a fact of life.

I guess I just have a fundamentally different level of expectation than the buyer here.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

greynolds Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Jul 2008Sun 09-Jun-13 05:13 PM
#34. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"
In response to Reply # 29

US

While it would have been best, in some respects, to tell him to take a hike, it most likely would have resulted in negative feedback for me which is not exactly ideal. The way eBay works these days, the buyers have all the power - there's no recourse for sellers to warn other sellers that a buyer is a PITA because sellers can only leave positive feedback (or no feedback) for buyers. That also means there's no real recourse if a buyer threatens me with negative feedback as I have no opportunity to leave them the appropriate negative feedback in return.

I'll continue to use eBay, as it's still the best way to turn stuff I no longer need into cash for most items. There are alternatives for higher end audio gear (Audiogon) and camera gear (Nikonians), but for most other stuff eBay is still the best option. I've tried Craig's list a few times and have found that most people are looking to get stuff cheap there and usually don't want to pay what the item is actually worth.

Geoff

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sun 09-Jun-13 07:19 PM
#35. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"
In response to Reply # 34

US

>I'll continue to use eBay, as it's still the best way to turn
>stuff I no longer need into cash for most items. There are
>alternatives for higher end audio gear (Audiogon) and camera
>gear (Nikonians), but for most other stuff eBay is still the
>best option. I've tried Craig's list a few times and have
>found that most people are looking to get stuff cheap there
>and usually don't want to pay what the item is actually
>worth.

I've found eBay hugely preferable to Craig's list. I had trouble with one buyer and one seller, with 88 ratings giving me 100% satisfaction. No doubt, at some point I will sell my beloved D7100 on eBay... or a lens... The camera will be sold with inevitable dust spots, as will the lens if the buyer shines a flashlight into it. As I always have in the past, these will be sold with a NO RETURN policy.

I will continue to provide full disclosure and answer any questions with 100% honesty. And that's it.

If the buyer doesn't like that arrangement, they won't bid. That eventuality is both fine and preferable.

Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Sun 09-Jun-13 08:20 PM
#36. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"
In response to Reply # 35

St. Augustine, US

"As I always have in the past, these will be sold with a NO RETURN policy."

The No Return policy only works if the item you sold is as described. If the buyer asserts that the item was not "as described" then eBay can still force the seller to take it back.

Graham

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Sun 09-Jun-13 10:04 PM
#37. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"
In response to Reply # 34

Toronto, CA

Craigslist is definitely going to vary from location to location as 99.9% of all people selling camera equipment on it will only sell locally. Locally I have had no problems, but other cities could be, and by reports appear to be, different. The advantage to eBay is the wider market, the drawback is all the power is with buyers.

Jason

gschuler Registered since 06th Mar 2013Sun 09-Jun-13 10:42 PM
50 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#38. "RE: Sold my D7000, buyer is complaining about dirty sensor"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Sensor grime removal is not difficult (assuming its dust/oil). I agree it's like normal maintenance on an automobile, you can learn to do it yourself or pay to have it done. Either way though it's your responsibility.

Buying new doesn't mean cleaning won't be required out of the box.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27977 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.