Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27590
View in threaded mode

Subject: "D7000 pentaprism viewfinder question" Previous topic | Next topic
chuckvanderbildt Registered since 22nd May 2013Wed 22-May-13 03:04 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 pentaprism viewfinder question"

NL

Hello all,

I have been a d50 user for many years, and was very happy with it, buying a number of lenses for the Nikon system, but unfortunately my house was robbed, and my camera body was stolen. They thankfully left the lenses (strange, because they're worth far more than the old d50)..

Anyway, all my lenses are without inbuilt motor, so buying a replacement d3X00 or d5X00 would mean I have to sell those. I am looking at the d7000 instead, which I can now buy brand new for 720USD including 2 year warranty. My alternative is selling everything and buying a canon 650D kit and a 50mm, as I refuse to buy a dslr that is crippled by its inability to use a large numbers of lenses.

My question is, how does the d7000 viewfinder compare to a pentamirror design, is it really a substantial improvement? Is it closer to a 35mm viewfinder, or closer to the dark and icky DX pentamirrors? This is an important point for me, as it always annoyed me on the d50.

Thank you kindly!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Wed 22-May-13 05:12 PM
1969 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 pentaprism viewfinder question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Never used a penta mirror camera, but from what I have read about the comparisons, yes there is a substantial difference.

For example your D50 had 95% coverage with a .75x magnification. The D7000 provides 100% coverage with .95x magnification.

So it appears the D7000 will not only be brighter, but slightly larger (if I interrupt the specs correctly).

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Wed 22-May-13 07:02 PM
524 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 pentaprism viewfinder question"
In response to Reply # 0

Omaha, US

how does the d7000 viewfinder compare to a pentamirror design

Its better.

> is it really a substantial improvement?

All other things being equal, yes.

> Is it closer to a 35mm viewfinder, or closer to the dark and icky
> DX pentamirrors?

I suppose its all in the eye of the beholder.

D7000 has a nice big, bright viewfinder. My eyesight has gone to hell over the last five years (turned 45 then BAM! Can't see ####) and I still find sighting through the D7000 to be perfectly comfortable. At least for now, since my required vision correction is within the range of adjustment of the diopter knob.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

pimadude Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Nov 2012Wed 22-May-13 09:47 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 pentaprism viewfinder question"
In response to Reply # 0

Tucson, US

I think you'd be very pleased with the Nikon D7000 viewfinder in comparison to the D50. I owned a D50, and upgraded to a D90, so it's been some time since I've actually looked through the viewfinder of a D50.

Recently, however, when I was looking a new Tamron 70-300mm lens at a camera shop the store employee fitted the lens up on a Nikon D5200* that was in the store (he didn't have a D7000 or D7100). Holy smokes.. I couldn't believe how dinky the image looked compared to my D7000.

I subsequently purchased the Tamron lens, and I can attest that the viewfinder image with my Nikon D7000 is WAY better than the D5200*.

Jim

(*) The specs on the D5200 are similar to the D50 = 95% coverage, 0.75X magnification with a 50mm f/1.4 lens focused at infinity.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 23-May-13 09:52 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 pentaprism viewfinder question"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

The D7000 is an upgrade in every imaginable photo taking parameter, including a pentaprism that has much less light loss than a mirror.
You will surely like the D7000 for its very quiet sensor, beautiful 3 inch bright 920,000 pixel monitor, good AF, auto WB and ISO that really work well, much more resolution and sharpness to images. wider dynamic range so protecting highlights from blowing out is easy and many more features. A shot at 100 ISO will amaze you in how little noise there is and how much dynamic range was captured compared to not only the D50 but also any cameras before the D7000. In fact it still have wider dynamic range than any Canon every made at lower ISO. Shadow recovery is even better than the new D7100, D700 or D3 which were top of the line cameras before the D800 and D4 replaced them.
Get the D7000.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

chuckvanderbildt Registered since 22nd May 2013Thu 23-May-13 11:00 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 pentaprism viewfinder question"
In response to Reply # 0

NL

Thanks everybody, I ordered myself a d7000 today. Now i'm off looking for some nice MF lenses... :)

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Fri 24-May-13 09:20 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 pentaprism viewfinder question"
In response to Reply # 5

St Petersburg, RU

Some of the best deals for fast MF lenses is from Samyang. Their 85 1.4, 35 1.4, 24 1.4, 14 2.8 and 8mm fisheye all get good reviews and are low cost. The 85 might be tough to mf without a focusing screen change but the wide angles are even easier to use than AF.
They have a new 24 TS coming out this month. I have not seen it but the specs look good.
My main mf lens is the Nikkor 50 1.2 that is still made in the traditional way like the best lenses of the past. It feels great to the touch but optically the newer lenses are probably better. I am interested in their 14mm 2.8 for FX.
It is hard to beat the f1.8 AF-S lenses in the Nikon lineup. The 28, 35, 50 and 85 are all really good, and the 85 is flat out great.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Fri 24-May-13 09:44 PM
2833 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 pentaprism viewfinder question"
In response to Reply # 4

Milton, CA

>Shadow recovery is even better than the new D7100,
>D700 or D3 which were top of the line cameras before the D800
>and D4 replaced them.

Stan, could you please elaborate a bit on the shadow recovery? What do you mean by this?

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

RBHJr Registered since 26th Mar 2013Sat 25-May-13 06:18 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 pentaprism viewfinder question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

To add to what everyone else has said, yes, get the D7000. I don't think you'll regret it at all. It's a great camera.

Like you, I have a number of older Nikon AF lenses without built in motors. Thus, buying a Nikon camera without an AF drive lug was, for me, out of the question. However, even if that were not the case, the fact that the D7k has a pentaprism with a 100% viewfinder image makes it all the more attractive.

I think you'll be very pleased with a D7000.

--Ron

Castlk Registered since 06th Apr 2013Sun 26-May-13 04:32 AM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000 pentaprism viewfinder question"
In response to Reply # 8

Farmingville, US

Good choice on the D7000. I've had mine about two months now and it is an amazing camera for the money. I bought it to travel with because my D2x is just too big and heavy to drag around. I now use it pretty much exclusively and haven't had the D2x out since I bought my D7000.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27590 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.