Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27424
View in threaded mode

Subject: "D7100 autofocus not working for a while, do i need to w..." Previous topic | Next topic
NNT Registered since 08th May 2013Thu 16-May-13 05:34 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100 autofocus not working for a while, do i need to worry?"

CA

Got my D7100 with the kit lens about a month ago. then bought the AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G about 3 weeks ago and been using this lens ever since. Until yesterday, all of a sudden the lens is making some weird noise during auto focus (auto focus still work but making a louder noise then usual). I turn the camera off and turn it back on, then the auto focus not working at all. then i tried taking out the battery and reinstall it, removed the lens, remount it again and all didn't work. finally i mount the kit lens back and auto focus works again. then i process to remount my 35mm lens and its back to normal.
Is that something i need to look into or not worry about? anyone got the same happened to them?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 16-May-13 07:13 PM
2139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100 autofocus not working for a while, do i need to worry?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Until yesterday, all of a sudden the lens is
>making some weird noise during auto focus (auto focus still
>work but making a louder noise then usual).

This would lead me to suspect the lens, not the camera.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

NNT Registered since 08th May 2013Thu 16-May-13 09:14 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 autofocus not working for a while, do i need to worry?"
In response to Reply # 1

CA

I suspect the lens also, but since its working now, is there any point if i send it back to Nikon to check? the lens is only 3 weeks old

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 16-May-13 09:28 PM
2139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7100 autofocus not working for a while, do i need to worry?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>I suspect the lens also, but since its working now, is there
>any point if i send it back to Nikon to check? the lens is
>only 3 weeks old

It's under warranty. I'd either take it back for an exchange where you bought it, if that's possible, or definitely send it back to Nikon.

Changes in sound (on an AF-S) and total shut-down of focus are things well outside normal operation.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

golfercat Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2012Thu 16-May-13 09:30 PM
190 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7100 autofocus not working for a while, do i need to worry?"
In response to Reply # 0

Menifee, US

Since the kit lens autofocuses without issue, it is probable that the noise comes from the 35mm lens as the G series lenses use electronic control for their autofocus. AF-S lenses do not use the mechanical screw drive for autofocus.

Personally, I would either have the lens exchanged or repaired under warranty. It will never heal itself and Murphys Law says that it will die at the worst possible time.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pgalligan Registered since 11th Dec 2012Fri 17-May-13 05:00 AM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7100 autofocus not working for a while, do i need to worry?"
In response to Reply # 0

AU

It's possible that you hadn't mounted the lens securely on the body, and the electronic contacts weren't making good contact. I have done this myself on a few occasions resulting in exactly those symptoms.

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Fri 17-May-13 03:33 PM
523 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7100 autofocus not working for a while, do i need to worry?"
In response to Reply # 5

Omaha, US

That lens has the "silent wave" focus motor...the operative word being "silent".

If it was making grunchy sounds (like one might get from a screw-drive AF lens), I'd just replace it now.

Or maybe give it one more try on the possibility that you somehow had it mis-mounted.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

cosmicfires Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Nov 2011Mon 20-May-13 08:28 PM
328 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7100 autofocus not working for a while, do i need to worry?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lynnwood, US

I had a lens make weird noises while focusing, cleaning the contacts in the lens and body solved the problem. It was months ago so it doesn't appear the problem went away to return later.

my website

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27424 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.