Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26693
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Just ordered D7100 -- so excited!!" Previous topic | Next topic
dfaughtcvt Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2012Wed 24-Apr-13 08:21 PM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Just ordered D7100 -- so excited!!"
Wed 24-Apr-13 08:21 PM by dfaughtcvt

Chicago, US

Hi guys!

I haven't been on here in quite awhile... sorry for my absence. I have really been enjoying improving my photography with my D90. I'd been toying with the idea of upgrading to the D7000 but then decided that I would just go ahead and get the D7100. As far as my photography skills, I am learning to shoot in manual mode, and also in either shutter or aperture mode. It's challenging but fun to shoot in manual mode and determine what settings I need to get the pictures that I want.

So, any how... just today I decided to go ahead and order the D7100 from Adorama, and paid a little extra for shipping so that I can have it in 3-5 days. Debating on whether I'll keep my D90 as a back-up camera or sell it. Its shutter actuation is 11,854... is that considered low? I'm reading through the topics in the D7100 area so that I can get familiar with it somewhat before I get my hands on it and play.

Here's a couple pics that I took with my D90, of my place down in Brown County. One is my front yard area on a crisp, sunny fall day. The other is of the lake alongside my house on a foggy morning.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35470259@N03/8679236022/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35470259@N03/8678121663/in/photostream/

Glad to be back on the forum with you all!

Deb

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.”
― Ansel Adams

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Wed 24-Apr-13 08:26 PM
4224 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Just ordered D7100 -- so excited!!"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 24-Apr-13 08:27 PM by cockers

Plover, US

Hi Deb -

You'll love the D7100. . . it's an awesome camera and has capabilities that are amazing.
As for your D90 - 11,854 is Not a lot of actuations as the shutter is rated to 100,000 or more.
It would make a fine back-up for you.

Good luck with your new D7100!

Al

dfaughtcvt Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2012Wed 24-Apr-13 08:40 PM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Just ordered D7100 -- so excited!!"
In response to Reply # 1

Chicago, US

Thanks, Al! Taking the $1200 hit was a little bit painful but I felt like I was ready to upgrade to the D7100. I had used and enjoyed my D90 for at least the past 4 years. I'm also investing in better glass for my camera and sold off a couple of my lower-quality lenses.

Deb

“When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.”
― Ansel Adams

francine Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2007Wed 24-Apr-13 10:33 PM
852 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Just ordered D7100 -- so excited!!"
In response to Reply # 2

Monroe, US

I had 2 D90 and just sold one. Same picture count and I ended up selling it for $375.00 I am thinking of keeping the other D90 it has a much higher count and probably wont get much. I still love the D90 but will use the D7100 much much more. The one bad thing about the D7100 is that after using it once I realized that I dont have enough SD cards and I have many. It uses up alot of sd card

Pugzilla Gold Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2008Thu 25-Apr-13 02:36 AM
210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Just ordered D7100 -- so excited!!"
In response to Reply # 3

Boca Raton, US

FWIW, Using a card such as the 16Gb SanDisk Extreme (the 45MB/sec - I think the Extreme Pro 90 MB/sec may be overkill) in each slot will do you just fine. The equivalent Lexars are fine also. My advice here: don't buy the off brands and buy the good stuff from a reputable dealer - there are counterfeits out there.

Walter

Sometimes I think the world is a tuxedo... and I'm a pair of brown shoes.

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Thu 25-Apr-13 12:50 PM
367 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Just ordered D7100 -- so excited!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Geneva, US

Deb,

Welcome to the D7100! I also moved from the D90 to the D7100 - so far (with admittedly limited shooting) it is exactly what I wanted, and I find the similarity in handling to the D90 be be helpful it finding my way around it.

My wife still has a D90, so we will be keeping mine as a shared backup body for both of us.

Dave

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Chomper Registered since 29th Mar 2013Thu 25-Apr-13 03:11 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Just ordered D7100 -- so excited!!"
In response to Reply # 4

US

The Sandisk Extreme Pro has been working amazingly well in my D7100.

I was using a Sandisk Class 6 card which tops out at about 20mb/s and I could definitely feel the difference between the two.

Congrats on the D7100! I upgraded from a D70 and yes, talk about night and day.

ttc546 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2009Thu 25-Apr-13 05:30 PM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Just ordered D7100 -- so excited!!"
In response to Reply # 5

Camberley, GB

I moved from the D90 to the D7100 and I am much impressed. The quality of the photos taken is significantly better when taking action shots - here are some from the weekend of dogs in action.

http://www.meadowlandsphotography.co.uk/teamtrainingapril

Chris

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 25-Apr-13 06:23 PM
25739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Just ordered D7100 -- so excited!!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Deb,

With less than 12000 actuations your D90 has just got broken in.
Nice images.
Thanks for sharing.
Congratulations on your new D7100.
Enjoy!

Best Regards,
Marty

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Thu 25-Apr-13 07:19 PM
3325 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Just ordered D7100 -- so excited!!"
In response to Reply # 8

Dyserth, GB

Wise choice, the best Nikon DX I've owned and I feel equal in IQ to my D800

Enjoy.

Richard

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

dfaughtcvt Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2012Fri 26-Apr-13 02:40 AM
#10. "RE: Just ordered D7100 -- so excited!!"
In response to Reply # 7

Chicago, US

Those are really nice action shots!! I should have my new camera in hand in a few days. I ordered it from Adorama.

Deb

― Ansel Adams

dfaughtcvt Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2012Fri 26-Apr-13 02:42 AM
#11. "RE: Just ordered D7100 -- so excited!!"
In response to Reply # 9

Chicago, US

Just curious...what do you guys think about getting the Square Trade extended warranty?

Deb

― Ansel Adams

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 26-Apr-13 04:14 AM
25739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Just ordered D7100 -- so excited!!"
In response to Reply # 11

US

Hi Deb,

I never buy extended warranties.

Best Regards,
Marty

dfaughtcvt Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2012Tue 30-Apr-13 03:18 AM
#13. "RE: Just ordered D7100 -- so excited!!"
In response to Reply # 12

Chicago, US

Thanks, Marty. I'll pass on getting it then. The camera was delivered to my house while I was out tonight, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to play with it. That's ok though because it'll give me time to read about using it and hit youtube for some good videos about using it.

Deb

― Ansel Adams

dfaughtcvt Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2012Wed 08-May-13 03:18 AM
#14. "RE: Just ordered D7100 -- so excited!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

OK... so I've had the D7100 for a few days. I took it out on a beautiful day to take some practice shots. It's going to be a little bit of a learning curve but I'm having fun doing it!

Here's some of my shots: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjF2pj7G

Deb

― Ansel Adams

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Wed 08-May-13 06:10 AM
3325 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Just ordered D7100 -- so excited!!"
In response to Reply # 14

Dyserth, GB

Looking good to me, enjoy

Richard

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

kstrongs Registered since 04th Oct 2011Thu 09-May-13 04:25 PM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Just ordered D7100 -- so excited!!"
In response to Reply # 13

St. Thomas, CA

>Thanks, Marty. I'll pass on getting it then. The camera was
>delivered to my house while I was out tonight, so I'll have to
>wait until tomorrow to play with it. That's ok though because
>it'll give me time to read about using it and hit youtube for
>some good videos about using it.
>
>Hi Deb,
I found the Nikon Digitutor to be very helpful. I just got my D7100 last Saturday. Absolutely love it so far.

http://www.nikondigitutor.com/eng/d7100/index.html

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26693 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.