Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26015
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Compatability question" Previous topic | Next topic
CK Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2004Wed 03-Apr-13 11:23 PM
1763 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Compatability question"

Mississauga, CA

Just read something Ken Rockwell wrote about the D7100 having possible compatibility issues with Sigma lenses. I own the Sigma 150-500, and am wondering if any of you have had compatability issues. If there comes a time that I grow tired of waiting for a D400, the 7100 will likely be looking pretty good, but I'd want my lenses to work. So, any issues?
Take care,
CK
Nikonian in Ontario, Canada

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Wed 03-Apr-13 11:45 PM
367 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Compatability question"
In response to Reply # 0

Geneva, US

There is good information in another thread on this topic here:
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=25399&mesg_id=25399&page=4

I have the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro (non-OS version) and I can confirm that it works fine with my new D7100.

Dave

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

Visit my Nikonians gallery

markel253 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Apr 2013Thu 04-Apr-13 01:39 AM
129 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Compatability question"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

I have the current version of the Sigma 18-250 mm - and it works just fine with the D7100.

Mark

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 04-Apr-13 05:57 AM
3299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Compatability question"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

When new models come out, it is not unusual for Sigma to update the chip in lenses to be compatible. Try it, if it does not AF, Sigma will do it quickly and for no cost.

If there was a compatibility problem with your version of the lens, it would also likely be with a D400 also if one ever comes into existence. In either case Sigma would take care of it.

I suspect KR was just guessing or wanting to spread doubt which he has been doing towards Nikon for a while. Best, for sanity and minimum disinformation, to ignore KR
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Chomper Registered since 29th Mar 2013Thu 04-Apr-13 04:01 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Compatability question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I wondered the same thing about my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM (circa 2005) and it works great!

Hopefully others won't experience too many issues.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 04-Apr-13 04:16 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Compatability question"
In response to Reply # 4

US

The D7000 had compatibility issues with a few Sigma lenses, mainly LiveView functionality.

If your lens has the firmware for the D7000, it will likely work fine on the D7100.

My Sigma: 8-16mm; 50/1.4 (firmware updated for D7000); 150/2.8 (firmware updated for D7000), work flawlessly on the D7100.

A late manufacture Sigma is likely to have all necessary firmware loaded in the lens.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

CK Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2004Fri 05-Apr-13 10:38 AM
1763 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Compatability question"
In response to Reply # 0

Mississauga, CA

Thanks for taking the time to answer folks. Much appreciated.
Take care,
CK
Nikonian in Ontario, Canada

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Fri 05-Apr-13 03:43 PM
367 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Compatability question"
In response to Reply # 1

Geneva, US

CORRECTION: I had not checked out Live View when I wrote the comment above. My 150mm f/2.8 macro does NOT autofocus in Live View, so I will be sending it off to Sigma.

Dave

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26015 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.