Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25894
View in threaded mode

Subject: "NEF To Tif Conversion" Previous topic | Next topic
oclafed Registered since 23rd Mar 2013Sun 31-Mar-13 09:55 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NEF To Tif Conversion"

US

I just purchased the D7100 and like others I'm trying to figure out how to handle the raw file conversion.
I know you can use Nikon View NX to convert to tif. I know tif is a loss less format, but is there some performance disadvantage ( picture quality) to doing this rather than use Adobe Raw ( when it supports the D7100) ?
I've done some Internet searches on this subject , but the answer was never made very clear.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 31-Mar-13 11:22 PM
26546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: NEF To Tif Conversion"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

No, there's no advantage to converting to TIF. There is a fairly major disadvantage, which is that it consumes a LOT more space in TIF than in a lossless compressed NEF. I'd advise switching back to ACR when support is available.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25894 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.