Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25764
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Adobe support for D7100" Previous topic | Next topic
Pugzilla Gold Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2008Thu 28-Mar-13 02:43 AM
207 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Adobe support for D7100"

Boca Raton, US

Just noted on an Adobe blog - a "staff" member stated in response to the (to us, anyway) obvious question that the wait for Adobe RAW support for the 7100 will not be long (it was also noted by another blogger that DPReview may actually have a copy of this support that they are currently using for testing).

Walter

Never criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and have his shoes!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
wlwakefield Registered since 21st Jan 2007Thu 28-Mar-13 03:23 AM
198 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Adobe support for D7100"
In response to Reply # 0

Irving, US

Yes, I believe they also confirmed it on their facebook page a few days ago.

http://www.wlwakefield.com

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Thu 28-Mar-13 02:14 PM
331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Adobe support for D7100"
In response to Reply # 0

Netanya, IL

It never occurred to me that Adobe might not be more on the ball. This morning, I photographed a (family) event, came home expecting to get the shots processed, sorted and out the door by tonight and, what do I find? Neither LR4 nor CS6 will read the files!!!

What does "not be long" actually mean in terms of days/weeks?

Is there a work-around that will enable me to read my files and not let people down?

As far as I can discern, no beta with support for a D7100 is available either.

URGENT!

Nathan

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Thu 28-Mar-13 02:38 PM
3232 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Adobe support for D7100"
In response to Reply # 2

Camberley, GB

Convert to DNG?
Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Thu 28-Mar-13 02:43 PM
331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Adobe support for D7100"
In response to Reply # 2

Netanya, IL

Further to my post a short while ago, I applied a dose of RTFM to the problem and found that it is possible to convert NEF files to JPG in camera with the D7100.

LR4 does condescend to read such files so my immediate problem - to keep my promise to our granddaughter - can be kept although a considerable amount of extra work will have to be done.

I wonder if the NEF > JPG in camera conversion can be done in bulk?

Meanwhile, if anyone's listening there at Adobe: Hey, please get your/our act together ASAP!

Nathan

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Thu 28-Mar-13 02:49 PM
#5. "RE: Adobe support for D7100"
In response to Reply # 3

Netanya, IL

Interesting idea, Derek, but, since no Adobe products seem to recognize D7100 NEF files, I would not be sure how to do that. AFAICT, there is no in-camera option for this conversion. To JPG - yes; DNG - no. But I can be - and invariably am - mistaken on this.

Nathan

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Thu 28-Mar-13 03:02 PM
3232 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Adobe support for D7100"
In response to Reply # 4

Camberley, GB

It looks like there is a hack to make the 7100 NEFs look like 5200Nefs.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51099174

I haven't read the whole thread but worth a look I guess.
Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Thu 28-Mar-13 03:59 PM
#7. "RE: Adobe support for D7100"
In response to Reply # 6

Netanya, IL

Thanks - have looked at it but it appears to be beyond me from a technological point of view.

Meanwhile, am getting on with the in-camera conversions to JPG (something that I can understand).

Nathan

Pugzilla Gold Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2008Thu 28-Mar-13 04:56 PM
207 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Adobe support for D7100"
In response to Reply # 7

Boca Raton, US

I'm working around it by 1/shooting in both NEF and jpeg large/fine/optimal quality and keeping the NEF files for later, but also...2/ Sending those NEF files to NX2 and converting them to 16 bit TIFFs, transferring them back to PS6 and working on them in that state also.

I agree that the "Hack" is a little dangerous for me to attempt, being the computer wizard that I am .

Walter

Never criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and have his shoes!

Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012Thu 28-Mar-13 05:00 PM
229 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Adobe support for D7100"
In response to Reply # 4

El Sobrante, US

Have you looked at the View/NX shipped with your D7100? I don't use it, preferring Capture/NX2, but I believe it can convert your NEFs in bulk to either jpegs or TIFFs.

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Thu 28-Mar-13 05:51 PM
#10. "RE: Adobe support for D7100"
In response to Reply # 9

Netanya, IL

Thanks to both.

No, actually, I did not think of View NX, but since I have almost completed the in-camera conversions to JPG (132 files - not so terrible, could have been much worse) I'll finish that process.

I have already set the camera for RAW + JPG until further notice. My next "assignment" is a four-day affair.

Nathan

Pugzilla Gold Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2008Thu 28-Mar-13 06:25 PM
#11. "RE: Adobe support for D7100"
In response to Reply # 10

Boca Raton, US

Nathan,

My guess is that it will be soon be added to "RAW release candidate 7.4" which is available for download now, but not yet with support for the D7100, or final testing, for that matter. If not, I assume that RAW 7.5 will be here quickly, FWIW.

Walter

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Thu 28-Mar-13 07:14 PM
#12. "RE: Adobe support for D7100"
In response to Reply # 11

Netanya, IL

Dare I ask, Walter, for your guess stats?

Meanwhile, I have completed the in-camera conversion process and imported the JPGs into LR4.

I am most surprised at the good quality, fine color and great detail - all much better than I had expected.

Until Adobe gets its act together, I will make NEFs and JPGs in-camera from the outset.

This, I think, ends this thread as far as I am concerned.

I much appreciated all those who chipped in - at least I (and others) now know where we stand.

BR
Nathan

Pugzilla Gold Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2008Thu 28-Mar-13 07:42 PM
#13. "RE: Adobe support for D7100"
In response to Reply # 12

Boca Raton, US

Nathan,

I believe it will be 4/15 at 9:35AM EDT. I also await with bated breath (or is that baited breadth?)

'Bye now.

Walter

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Thu 28-Mar-13 08:31 PM
3172 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Adobe support for D7100"
In response to Reply # 12

Nevis, US

"Meanwhile, if anyone's listening there at Adobe: Hey, please get your/our act together ASAP!"

Good grief, relax a little. The camera has just barely been available to the public. There has always been some delay between release of a camera and Adobe updates, and I'm sure there always will be.

Alan

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Fri 29-Mar-13 05:20 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Adobe support for D7100"
In response to Reply # 13

St Petersburg, RU

Don't dismiss the free included ViewNX because it will render NEF RAW files better than any initial release of ACR from Adobe. As times goes by, Adobe refines their definition of the file format but it is still a guess since Nikon does not release details of their file format.
If you have images you want to print large, convert in ViewNX or Capture NX2 after making the adjustments of basic parameters, such as WB, exposure, contrast, etc. and save a copy of the adjusted image to TIFF, DNG or if no other choice, JPG. JPG limits the range of adjustment before the image deteriorates. If editing is needed in JPG, do it only on another copy of a rendered RAW file and not on a file that has already been compressed by JPG. Saving a edited JPG, each time, loses data and quality.
You will find that many people use more than one program. In my case, general photos are processed in LR but those to be printed large or are of importance I open the original NEF file in Nikon software and save a copy with edits appropriate for each output media(print large, print small, screen or mobile) in TIFF 16 bit and do any pixel level editing on that file in Photoshop CS6. The Adobe print routines and color management is very good for printing.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Fri 29-Mar-13 08:31 AM
#16. "RE: Adobe support for D7100"
In response to Reply # 15

Netanya, IL

Stan - I, for one, really appreciate your explanation. I used to use Capture NX2 but then moved to Lightroom instead. Obviously, there are instances when one needs more than one program, as you say.

Have a great weekend.

Nathan

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Fri 29-Mar-13 08:39 AM
#17. "RE: Adobe support for D7100"
In response to Reply # 14

Netanya, IL

Am - now - totally relaxed. In my great naivete, I had assumed that Adobe cooperated with camera manufacturers just as Microsoft does with computer manufacturers. By the time new versions of Windows become available, there are machines out there which can run it.

My first reaction, when I realized that LR could not read my D7100 generated RAW files, was total panic. All is now well, the album promised for this evening is ready for presentation and I have found the D7100 files to be amazing in their color and detail.

Am so glad I made the purchase!

Nathan

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Fri 29-Mar-13 11:27 AM
739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Adobe support for D7100"
In response to Reply # 17

Port Charlotte, US

It actually has more to do with Nikon cooperating with software manufacturers than Adobe working with camera manufacturers. Nikon doesn't share their NEF file formats, so Adobe and others have to reverse-engineer the solution. Nikon also feels they have a competing product (Capture NX2) so why help the competition?

Adobe, Apple and Microsoft most likely buy a D7100 along with everyone else and start from scratch. That also accounts for the variance in how the NEF files are interpreted by the various software applications.

Whenever I get a new Nikon such as the D7000 or D600, I use ViewNX2 and change to a TIFF file until the NEF file format is supported. I resist JPEG until the last conversion due to the lossy compression.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

BrianNK Registered since 25th Feb 2013Fri 29-Mar-13 02:10 PM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Adobe support for D7100"
In response to Reply # 18
Fri 29-Mar-13 02:14 PM by BrianNK

US

I broke down and wrote a small utility that changes the EXIF info in the RAW files from D7100 to D5200. You can then open the RAW files directly in Lightroom 4...

It's easier (and faster) then using the 'exiftools' method.

If anybody wants it just shoot me a PM and i'll give you the download link.

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Mon 01-Apr-13 07:19 PM
#20. "RE: Adobe support for D7100"
In response to Reply # 19

Netanya, IL

Hi Brian,

Been away for a few days. Just back and have seen your post. I'm afraid I don't know what a "PM" is or what "shoot me a PM" could mean, but yes, please, I would absolutely love to have your utility. Should solve all my problems here.

MTIAs

Nathan
nathan@nr-ginsbury.com

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 01-Apr-13 09:31 PM
11277 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Adobe support for D7100"
In response to Reply # 20

Lowden, US

PM = Private Message

Each message posted here has 4 icons in the upper right corner, just under the date and time.

If you click the second icon from the left ( ) you can send a privet message to the person who made the post. Private messages are viewed under your user menu and you are alerted when your receive a message in the upper left hand area of the forums lobby.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Tue 02-Apr-13 07:31 AM
#22. "RE: Adobe support for D7100"
In response to Reply # 21

Netanya, IL

Many thanks, Dave. I see it now and will follow through accordingly.

Nathan

markel253 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Apr 2013Wed 03-Apr-13 12:35 PM
129 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Adobe support for D7100"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

Congratulations to Adobe - one day after I received my D7100 I get a notification of a new ACR update and I now have RAW support in Photoshop CS6!

Thank you Adobe!

Mark

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Wed 03-Apr-13 03:11 PM
#24. "RE: Adobe support for D7100"
In response to Reply # 23

Netanya, IL

Thanks, Mark, for the heads up.

I now have LR4.4 with RAW support for the D7100.

Nathan

Pugzilla Gold Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2008Thu 04-Apr-13 03:39 PM
#25. "RE: Adobe support for D7100"
In response to Reply # 24

Boca Raton, US

Hi,

You know, they actually did get this update out pretty quickly, and it seems to be working appropriately. And I predicted 4/15....oh, well, wrong again .

Walter

markel253 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Apr 2013Thu 04-Apr-13 04:56 PM
129 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Adobe support for D7100"
In response to Reply # 25

New York, US

>You know, they actually did get this update out pretty
>quickly, and it seems to be working appropriately. And I
>predicted 4/15....oh, well, wrong again .

And I'll bet you are happy to be wrong in this case.

Mark

Pugzilla Gold Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2008Thu 04-Apr-13 06:04 PM
#27. "RE: Adobe support for D7100"
In response to Reply # 26

Boca Raton, US

How true, Mark, how true.

Walter

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Sat 06-Apr-13 07:55 PM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Adobe support for D7100"
In response to Reply # 27

Maidenhead, GB

I downloaded all of the Adobe updates yesterday, and then ordered my D7100! I held off pulling the trigger until the support for the RAW files was available in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25764 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.