Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25630
View in threaded mode

Subject: "D7100 Flash and Auto-ISO" Previous topic | Next topic
VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Sun 24-Mar-13 08:05 PM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100 Flash and Auto-ISO"
Sun 24-Mar-13 08:05 PM by VR8

Ottawa, CA

I am wondering if others are having my experience with Auto-ISO and Flash.

I was prepared to find out that using Auto ISO with Flash would not work. I read that this was an issue with other Nikon cameras. But my experiments using fill flash do not show this to be the case. There were other issues.

Just for background and to be clear I like to use FP fill flash in my nature photography. I also like to keep my shutter speed up. Previously I used easy ISO, which was a great help. However, the new auto-iso function on the D7100 seemed too good not to try.

The auto setting lets you set a speed coincident with the length of the lens, I found this was either too slow for me or too fast 1/320, 1/640, or 1/1650 with a 70-220 VRII. At 1.5 DX I would prefer 1/800. At 1.3 I might go to 1/1250 (e.g. roughly double the reciprocal of the lens as I get used to the new 24megapixl sensor).

My results at 1/800 have been fine, with only one frame having an unusual jump in ISO (but I was shooting a Plileated Woodpecker jumping around)!

Just wondering what others are finding with similar set ups. very open to better solutions etc.

Thanks

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Mon 25-Mar-13 03:57 PM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100 Flash and Auto-ISO"
In response to Reply # 0

Ottawa, CA

Sorry to come back a day later and contradict myself. I tried another experiment to duplicate an example I found on the web. Using the built in flash the ISO remained at 100 Iso and with the speedlight in the shoe the ISO jumped to 400 ISO, so I guess this has not been solved.

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

jerryray Silver Member Charter MemberSun 31-Mar-13 04:07 PM
319 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 Flash and Auto-ISO"
In response to Reply # 1

NYC, US

I also find the same scenario, it should be a user setting, They sure have enough settings, perhaps we missed it.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #25630 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.