Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24844
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Fujifilm XE1 or D7100" Previous topic | Next topic
jgreg Silver Member Charter MemberSun 03-Mar-13 07:39 AM
351 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Fujifilm XE1 or D7100"

Sheboygan Falls, US

I'm kind a torn between the Fujifilm XE1 and the new Nikon 7100. Which one to buy. I read the Fuji has exceptional picture quality. Moose Peterson says the D7100 is very good also. The new Nikon D7100 has 51 point auto focus and 24 Mg. I like those parts. I think that Nikon has improved the video to compete with every one else. That might be the real reason to get the D7100. So what do you think about the Fujifilm XE1? No body carries the Fujifilm XE1 around me so I can't go check it out. I would have to drive to Chicago to see one and that's 150 miles a way.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sun 03-Mar-13 11:28 AM
2119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Fujifilm XE1 or D7100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>I'm kind a torn between the Fujifilm XE1 and the new Nikon
>7100. Which one to buy. I read the Fuji has exceptional
>picture quality. Moose Peterson says the D7100 is very good
>also. The new Nikon D7100 has 51 point auto focus and 24 Mg. I
>like those parts. I think that Nikon has improved the video to
>compete with every one else. That might be the real reason to
>get the D7100. So what do you think about the Fujifilm XE1? No
>body carries the Fujifilm XE1 around me so I can't go check it
>out. I would have to drive to Chicago to see one and that's
>150 miles a way.

The new Fuji "range-finder style" cameras are neat. I think it's a bit of apples and oranges.

Looking at the RAW files, I prefer the D7000 images to the XE-1's. What one does with the JPEGS is to their own taste.

The D7000's color rendition is great, as is the tonal and the dynamic range... One would expect the D7100 to continue this trend.

The Fuji's seem like they've gone after a niche market (and a nice one, at that). A lot depends on what you want to shoot and what lenses you may want to work with in the future.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Sun 03-Mar-13 02:28 PM
685 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Fujifilm XE1 or D7100"
In response to Reply # 1

Port Charlotte, US

I'll express Bill's comments another way. Both cameras are great. You'll do well with either. I see the Nikon providing more photographic flexibility (if you need it) and the Fuji providing more convenience.

Personally, I would use the Nikon for more challenging work and the Fuji as a travel and opportunity camera. For general photography the Fuji's size makes it easier to carry around on a daily basis.

I'd love to put it in my briefcase when I travel.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Sun 03-Mar-13 03:09 PM
604 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Fujifilm XE1 or D7100"
In response to Reply # 0

Norwalk, US

The Fujifilm XE1 is a rangefinder style mirrorless camera with contrast detection AF. Great for still subjects and smaller than a DSLR to carry, but manual focus is driven by wire and pretty iffy, among other little things. It's a nice product overall though.

The D7100 is a higher resolution DSLR with better technical image quality (assuming it uses the D5200's sensor or better, which it will) more manual control points and is overall faster to use. From an image quality standpoint though, the big difference though is that the D7100 can track moving subjects with its phase detect autofocus and can shoot in burst mode effectively. This comes at the expense of size caused by the mirror box.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 03-Mar-13 04:43 PM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Fujifilm XE1 or D7100"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Welcome to Nikonians,
What style of shooting and in what light and what subjects. The choices between good cameras of different type come down to your subject matter and under what conditions you will be shooting.
These two cameras are very different and neither one even tries to do what the other does.
The D7100 will be much more flexible and will allow use of the wide range of great Nikon F mount lenses. Its image quality will be better but for the vast majority of photos people actually take, it would be hard to see the difference unless printing very large or zooming in with high magnification. The D7100 will be heavier and need more gear in the bag so the Fujifilm XE1 might be more likely to be taken on casual outings than a camera bag with DSLR, flash, lenses and tripod.

Many buyers of either also have the other style of camera.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

jgreg Silver Member Charter MemberMon 04-Mar-13 12:09 AM
351 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Fujifilm XE1 or D7100"
In response to Reply # 4
Mon 04-Mar-13 12:11 AM by jgreg

Sheboygan Falls, US

Well thanks for all your replies here. I was reading DPreview about the Nikon D7100. They were saying the the sensor was like the D800 E sensor. No filter on it. There are other things Nikon has changed that I like . The button they put on top of the left dial to keep it from moving like my D600. So I think I'm now leaning towards the Nikon D7100. Looks like a good camera to me. I have quotes from B&H on My Nikon D7000, grip, 17-50mm,12-24mm and my Canon Vixia HF M 41. Might be able to do an even swap or close.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 04-Mar-13 12:27 AM
2119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Fujifilm XE1 or D7100"
In response to Reply # 5

US

> I was reading DPreview
>about the Nikon D7100. They were saying the the sensor was
>like the D800 E sensor. No filter on it.

The D800E does have a filter(s), of a type that eliminates the AA effect, to a great extent.

The D7100 apparently has NO filter, though it presumably has some optical protection on the sensor itself.

jgreg Silver Member Charter MemberTue 05-Mar-13 02:25 AM
#7. "RE: Fujifilm XE1 or D7100"
In response to Reply # 6

Sheboygan Falls, US

I sent every thing off to B&H to be evaluated to see what they will give me for my equipment towards a Nikon D7100. I'm thinking about getting a new Nikon 18-200 mm VRII to go with it. Or 16-85mm VRII. Which ones the sharpest?

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Tue 05-Mar-13 12:27 PM
604 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Fujifilm XE1 or D7100"
In response to Reply # 7

Norwalk, US

The 16-85. The 18-200 and 18-300 are convenience lenses, not ultra sharp ones. You can check the MTF curve yourself, the 18-55 is slightly sharper in many situations than either of the super zooms.

Plus, the extra 2 mm wide is more useful than the extra reach, IME.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 05-Mar-13 12:38 PM
#9. "RE: Fujifilm XE1 or D7100"
In response to Reply # 7

US

The 17-50mm you sent in... Is that the original Tamron? If so, that should be a VERY sharp lens and might be worth keeping...

I've got one, and while it doesn't have the cache of other lenses, it's just phenomenal.

jgreg Silver Member Charter MemberTue 05-Mar-13 06:29 PM
#10. "RE: Fujifilm XE1 or D7100"
In response to Reply # 9

Sheboygan Falls, US

What about the Tokina 16-28mm?

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 05-Mar-13 07:21 PM
#11. "RE: Fujifilm XE1 or D7100"
In response to Reply # 10

US

>What about the Tokina 16-28mm?

Don't have or know about that one... Of course the Tamron is 2.8, and while it loses 1 mm at the short end, it has a good deal more on the tele side.

jules Silver Member Charter MemberWed 06-Mar-13 08:44 AM
964 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Tokina 16-28mm"
In response to Reply # 10
Wed 06-Mar-13 08:45 AM by jules

GB

"What about the Tokina 16-28mm?"

Here's a decent review of it..
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/tokina-at-x-16-28mm-f-2-8-pro-fx-lens-review-16537

Tried it out and I have to say it impressed me no end, it's quite heavy like the Nikon 14-24 at nearly a Kilo, which is why I didn't purchase it, it's every bit as good as the Nikon though save for those first two mm and far better at the last four!

Cheers jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Grumpy, Middle Aged, Bad Tempered, Arthritic, Asthmatic, Tinnitus Suffering, Mountain Man...
Now with I.B.S!

www.exaggeratedperspectives.co.uk

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24844 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.