Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24736
View in threaded mode

Subject: "D7100 flash sync speed 1/250 or 1/320" Previous topic | Next topic
Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012Wed 27-Feb-13 06:22 PM
229 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100 flash sync speed 1/250 or 1/320"

El Sobrante, US

I have read in a couple of places that the standard maximum flash sync speed of the D7100 is 1/250 second, with 1/320 available at reduced flash range. Does anyone know what the implications of this are? Does it apply only to the built-in flash or can one get 1/320 with a speedlite? Since the standard 1/250 is presumably determined by when the second shutter curtain needs to start moving in order to provide a complete exposure of the frame, how can it be increased to 1/320? Thanks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Wed 27-Feb-13 08:58 PM
3191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100 flash sync speed 1/250 or 1/320"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

You can use the Auto FP sync mode with Speedlites. In FP sync, the flash fires multiple short bursts of light as the shutter slit moves across the sensor.

Check this out:

http://darrellyoung.blogspot.com/2011/10/understanding-your-nikons-flash-sync.html

Alan

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Wed 27-Feb-13 09:51 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 flash sync speed 1/250 or 1/320"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 27-Feb-13 10:48 PM by Chris Platt

Newburg, US

This topic should be moved to the speedlight forum, since it is applicable to a number of cameras that have more than one sync speed.

To answer the rest of your question, think of 1/320 as "just barely synced." At shorter flash distances, you will get a shorter flash pulse for proper exposure, so the flash can just make it in before the 1/320 door starts to slam shut. At greater distances, you will get a longer flash duration for proper exposure and it might not all make it in before the door starts to slam shut. It's just Nikon's way of letting you get a little higher shutter speed before FP kicks in and dramatically reduces your flash power. If you're close and you know you can get away with it, use it. In most cases, you probably won't notice any difference.

I used a Vivitar 285 flash on manual, full power, to take the following images of my basement wall. Full power ensured I had the longest flash pulse possible. Note the darker area along the bottom of the 1/320 image. The shutter was starting to close before the full pulse made it to the sensor. The 1/400 is there for a reference to make it clear what is happening. (The vertical dark streaks on the right side are from a leaking copper heater pipe that I had to repair a few weeks ago - new paint will happen - sometime)

1/250

1/320

1/400

Visit my gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012Wed 27-Feb-13 10:23 PM
229 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7100 flash sync speed 1/250 or 1/320"
In response to Reply # 2

El Sobrante, US

Thanks for the explanation, Chris. In had always thought that the flash pulse, even at full power, was so short that it wouldn't matter in this way. As your samples show: I was wrong!

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Wed 27-Feb-13 11:04 PM
3191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7100 flash sync speed 1/250 or 1/320"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 27-Feb-13 11:11 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

What I was talking about was FP High Speed Sync which will sync up to 1/8000 second. Read the article in the link I provided.

Alan

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Wed 27-Feb-13 11:53 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7100 flash sync speed 1/250 or 1/320"
In response to Reply # 4
Thu 28-Feb-13 03:28 PM by Chris Platt

Newburg, US

I think he understood the point you we're making. It was helpful, so I only had to address the question about two different sync speeds. I think both replies together painted a pretty complete picture.

Visit my gallery.

Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012Thu 28-Feb-13 04:53 PM
#6. "RE: D7100 flash sync speed 1/250 or 1/320"
In response to Reply # 4

El Sobrante, US

Hi, Alan.

Thanks for the comments about auto FP. I have used that in the past, but in this post I was querying the 1/320th that showed up in a few comments about the D7100's flash sync speed. Chris' explanation and samples cleared this up for me.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24736 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.