Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23975
View in threaded mode

Subject: "My D7000 Story" Previous topic | Next topic
EAPhoto Registered since 16th Jan 2013Wed 13-Feb-13 10:13 PM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"My D7000 Story"
Wed 13-Feb-13 10:19 PM by EAPhoto

Asheboro, US

I found Nikonians through a google search in regards to my D7000. This is a very cool site and I see many seasoned and informative shooters in these forums. I am not creating this post to be abusive to Nikon at all but I do want my experience to be known as it might help another D7000 shooter with a similar experience as mine and maybe we can learn from my mistakes.

I bought a D7K to become my primary camera and to relieve my D300 to a back up role. This was over a year ago. I did not purchase an extended five year warranty. So the one year warranty has passed. Right off the bat, I noticed that I was missing focus. I shoot AF-S most of the time. I shot various situations, baseball, volleyball, assignments in low light indoor/flash required settings and put it through the ringer shooting what a love to shoot in my spare time, nature. All with equal results, soft images. If there was any sharpness, it was behind my the intent of focus and even after the standard sharpening in photoshop, that same area behind the intent of focus was not sharp to my standards of sharpness.

One of many of my character defects is taking the easy way out. I picked my D300 back up and put my D7000 in the back up role and I did not deal with the problem. Since finding Nikonians and reading up on the focus issues I realized the camera might have a true issue with focus. So about a month ago, I picked up the camera and put it through some more test with the same results each time. I knew it was time to send it off to Nikon and a nice large bill would be behind any repair.

Here is what was done at Nikon repair
-ADJ Mirror angle
-ADJ auto focus operation
-CKD communication
-CKD shutter release
-CLN CCD
-firmware upgrade
-check and clean

Needless to say the mirror adj and adjustment to the auto focus operation stand out to me.

I had already updated the firmware before I retested the camera a second time.

I am wondering if many of these D7000's are coming out of a particular factory with some issues or is there only one Nikon Factory?

I got my camera back from Nikon today and put the camera back on a test run, WOW, the difference to me is night and day, to an untrained eye it might not be as visible but to me it is everything. Bottom line when it comes to issues like this, when your not getting expected results from the D7000 from test after test, it might be time to let Nikon look at it, especially before a warranty runs out.

I have been shooting Nikon since the mid 90's and have no plans on leaving. But I would be curious to know exactly how many people are having to send back these cameras for these issues. It would be nice to know, maybe if the numbers were high enough there might be a recall and I might have reason for a refund on my repair bill.

A fellow friend and photographer of mine recently got his new D7000 and he is having similar problems.

I know this is a long post and I apologize for that.

Anyway, I am just happy my D7000 is functioning and is gaining my trust, because trust is a must when it comes to your gear.

Cheers and happy shooting everyone.

Sharp Glass o TEA, D7000, 35mm, 1/60sec, iso 800, f/4,

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Wed 13-Feb-13 11:44 PM
166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: My D7000 Story"
In response to Reply # 0

Jamison, US

:-)

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Thu 14-Feb-13 12:41 AM
2797 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: My D7000 Story"
In response to Reply # 0

Milton, CA

A few of us Nikonians have had to send their D7000 cameras to Nikon for correction of back-focus problems.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

EAPhoto Registered since 16th Jan 2013Sat 16-Feb-13 09:01 AM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: My D7000 Story"
In response to Reply # 2

Asheboro, US

Been putting my D7000 to the test all week, working like a champ.

hnagy Registered since 02nd Feb 2013Mon 18-Feb-13 06:46 AM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: My D7000 Story"
In response to Reply # 3

Cairo, EG

Thanks god, mine looks great up till now. Really don't know what to do if things went wrong with it, especially in Egypt I doubt if there's any authorised Nikon service centers

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Mon 18-Feb-13 04:04 PM
3862 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: My D7000 Story"
In response to Reply # 4

Toronto, CA

>Thanks god, mine looks great up till now. Really don't know
>what to do if things went wrong with it, especially in Egypt I
>doubt if there's any authorised Nikon service centers

There might be. Call Foto Express. They're located at 426 El Haram Street in Giza. Nikon Worldwide lists the phone numbers as (202) 3776 2062 or (202) 3776 0169 and the contact email address as m.farag@fotoexpress.com.eg

They're the Nikon distributor in in Egypt, as far as I know.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

hnagy Registered since 02nd Feb 2013Mon 18-Feb-13 04:07 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: My D7000 Story"
In response to Reply # 5

Cairo, EG

>>Thanks god, mine looks great up till now. Really don't
>know
>>what to do if things went wrong with it, especially in
>Egypt I
>>doubt if there's any authorised Nikon service centers
>
>There might be. Call Foto Express. They're located at 426 El
>Haram Street in Giza. Nikon Worldwide lists the phone numbers
>as (202) 3776 2062 or (202) 3776 0169 and the contact email
>address as m.farag@fotoexpress.com.eg
>
>They're the Nikon distributor in in Egypt, as far as I know.
>
Thanks really a lot,
but as they are Nikon distributor, is that means they can maintain and repair Nikon cameras as an authorised service center, or what?

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 18-Feb-13 04:17 PM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: My D7000 Story"
In response to Reply # 6

St Petersburg, RU

As a national distributor, they are the providers of warranty service for cameras sold in Egypt, and authorize any independent service stations they pick as authorized service centers.
Surely, they have a service facility for taking care of a minor periodic adjustment that just about any camera will eventually need.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Mon 18-Feb-13 05:29 PM
3862 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: My D7000 Story"
In response to Reply # 6

Toronto, CA

>Thanks really a lot,
>but as they are Nikon distributor, is that means they can
>maintain and repair Nikon cameras as an authorised service
>center, or what?

Probably. To confirm, it might be best to just phone them and ask directly.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

hnagy Registered since 02nd Feb 2013Mon 18-Feb-13 09:02 PM
#9. "RE: My D7000 Story"
In response to Reply # 8

Cairo, EG

Yes, I'll call them tomorrow just to know their services.

hnagy Registered since 02nd Feb 2013Tue 19-Feb-13 12:55 PM
#10. "RE: My D7000 Story"
In response to Reply # 9

Cairo, EG

I just called them, sensor cleaning will cost around 60 $ (400 EGY LE),
Back Focusing adjustement is not done by them at all.
They officially do not support Nikon DSLR's, only Coolpix models.
Is this price is expensive or what?

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Tue 19-Feb-13 04:55 PM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: My D7000 Story"
In response to Reply # 10

HIXSON, US

That's in line with what I've seen charged for sensor cleaning. However, I don't think that will help your focus issue.

CHarlie

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Tue 19-Feb-13 04:58 PM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: My D7000 Story"
In response to Reply # 0

HIXSON, US

Eric,

Just curious about two things:

1) How much did it cost?

2) What did you send with the camera? Did you need some test shots to show that the D7000 wasn't focusing properly?

Charlie

EAPhoto Registered since 16th Jan 2013Wed 20-Feb-13 04:03 AM
#13. "RE: My D7000 Story"
In response to Reply # 12
Wed 20-Feb-13 04:04 AM by EAPhoto

Asheboro, US

Chalie, it was two bills plus shipping.

I never send any extras, just the piece of gear that needed looking at. I removed my strap, file card and battery.

in the specs, I just said

-auto focus needs to be recalibrated. Having back focus issues.

They made a mirror adjustment and recalibrated the auto focus.

I am loving it now!

NIkon knows there is a problem with some of these models coming out of the factory like this and is not admitting to it. But hey, I got my camera back and I am shooting with it daily, I am a happy shooter these days.

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Wed 20-Feb-13 04:16 AM
#14. "RE: My D7000 Story"
In response to Reply # 13

HIXSON, US

Thanks Eric,

I think the whole world knows. There is something wrong with mine, or else I have totally forgotten how to shoot. I just located an old 8mp off brand camera that had much sharper photos still in it than what I'm getting now.

Time is critical for me. I don't have all that much left. I have an event this Friday, then I have a couple of weeks to work with.

How long did it take portal to portal? Did you send it straight to the service center or did you send it via an authorized dealer? Do you use the original camera box or other?

Thanks!

Charlie

EAPhoto Registered since 16th Jan 2013Wed 20-Feb-13 02:35 PM
#15. "RE: My D7000 Story"
In response to Reply # 14

Asheboro, US

Chalie,

It took two weeks.

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/238

I called nikon support. Phone is in link above. Reported the problem. You might want to call and make sure the camera is registered. They will need a copy of the receipt with the shipment and a statement on the problem. I shipped it through the newspaper I used to be employed with, I am not sure if that prioritized my camera or not.
I shipped it like I received it in the original packaging(without the extras) inside another box with insulation for extra protection.

I hope you get things squared away without any hassles. Nothing more frustrating than knowing how to get results and the gear not doing its part. That being said, I am loving my D7000 now.

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Wed 20-Feb-13 09:07 PM
#16. "RE: My D7000 Story"
In response to Reply # 15

HIXSON, US

Eric,

You have gone the extra mile and then some. Want to come by and send the camera off for me?

Went to nikonusa and saw that my camera was registered. I'll try to get it on the way on Monday.

Helps to know that you and some others have had success.

Thanks again!

Charlie

EAPhoto Registered since 16th Jan 2013Wed 20-Feb-13 09:15 PM
#17. "RE: My D7000 Story"
In response to Reply # 16

Asheboro, US

Good luck and happy shooting Charlie!

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Thu 21-Feb-13 01:18 PM
#18. "RE: My D7000 Story"
In response to Reply # 17

HIXSON, US

Even better news,

My D7000 still in warranty, YEA!!!

Charlie

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23975 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.