Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23907
View in threaded mode

Subject: "what size and speed SD card" Previous topic | Next topic
micro Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2008Mon 11-Feb-13 12:36 AM
504 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"what size and speed SD card"

walkertown, US

here I am asking a question and I don't even have my camera yet,lol.should be getting it tuesday though.I am upgrading from a D-80 so have never had video before.I also have never had 6 frames a second continuos speed either.what sd card should I get just incase I actually end up likeing the video option.I have 3 sandisk extreme3 4 gig cards from the d-80.would they write fast enough to handle lots of sports shooting(especially football)at 6 frames per minute?I'm not sure if I will even use the video much,just want to be ready up front just in case.thanks,Troy

there is no problem to big or small that can't be fixed with brute strength and ignorance visit my gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 11-Feb-13 01:20 AM
657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: what size and speed SD card"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 11-Feb-13 01:24 AM by Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US

Video is not my style. But Thom Hogan in his ebook on the D7000 says a card with a 30mb/sec write speed is enough for most still shooting. That would be enough to clear the buffer of a 15 frame burst of continuous shooting.

In Sandisk terminology, that qualifies their Exteme cards. Extreme Pro constitutes overkill. And Ultra, at far less data transfer speed, is probably not enough for the shooting you describe. Extreme Pro from Sandisk is aimed at cameras with 34mp sensors. The limiting factor on the D7000 is the buffer and Extreme satisfies that.

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Mon 11-Feb-13 02:59 AM
1392 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: what size and speed SD card"
In response to Reply # 0

US

My SanDisk Extreme Pro cards won't clear the buffer in my D7000 any faster than my plain-jane class 10 cards. So anything faster than a class 10 is just wasting money.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

SweetMK Registered since 22nd Jan 2013Mon 11-Feb-13 05:48 PM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: what size and speed SD card"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I believe a lot depends on what you are recording. Shoot pics in jepg and the buffer clears fast, shoot RAW and jepg, everything slows down.

As far as video, I only shot a little of the granddaughter with 8 gig freebies the camera dealer gave me (they were labeled Lexar "gaming" cards), and the video was never slowed down!??? Nor did jepg recording.

I recently got 32 gig Sandisk class 10 30Mb and see no difference compared to the "gaming" card, except maximum capacity. I bought them when I decided to try RAW.

Maybe I need a better card, the Sandisk 32Mb only cost $25 each.

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Tue 12-Feb-13 01:01 AM
963 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: what size and speed SD card"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 12-Feb-13 01:05 AM by Vlad_IT

New Tampa, US

There were several posts about camera/card speed. I was testing (then) $140 Sandisk 95Mb/s card, which di dnot give me any advantage over my existing $50 (then) 45Mb/s card.
conclusion is - buffer clears just a bit above 30Mb/s speed. To have a full speed advantage - you can by a sANdISK 45Mb/s card.

I have 32GB 30Mb/s as my primary card and 16GB 45Mb/s as my overflow card.

As per size - i'm afraid to go over 32MB at this time. If card gets corrupted - you might lose a lot af images.

writting to both slots at the same time - takes twice time to clear buffer. For D7000 16GB or 32GB is plenty for any job.

Best regards,
Vlad

SweetMK Registered since 22nd Jan 2013Tue 12-Feb-13 01:12 AM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: what size and speed SD card"
In response to Reply # 4

US

>There were several posts about camera/card speed. I was
>testing (then) $140 Sandisk 95Mb/s card, which di dnot give me
>any advantage over my existing $50 (then) 45Mb/s card.
> conclusion is - buffer clears just a bit above 30Mb/s speed.
>To have a full speed advantage - you can by a sANdISK 45Mb/s
>card.
>
>I have 32GB 30Mb/s as my primary card and 16GB 45Mb/s as my
>overflow card.
>
>As per size - i'm afraid to go over 32MB at this time. If card
>gets corrupted - you might lose a lot af images.
>
>writting to both slots at the same time - takes twice time to
>clear buffer. For D7000 16GB or 32GB is plenty for any job.
>
>Best regards,
>Vlad

Interesting, so if I pretend I have a Canon 6D and just use one card, the D7000 will write to the card faster?? Therefore more pics??

micro Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2008Tue 12-Feb-13 01:41 AM
504 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: what size and speed SD card"
In response to Reply # 5

walkertown, US

thanks everyone for the info.the extreeme 111 cards I have only write at 20Mb/s.I'll see how they do for my style of shooting.I will step up to a 16GB or 32GB at some time so I will shoot for a 45Mb/s when I do.my previous cards are only 4GB.not real sure,but I don't think that will give me much video time.thanks again,Troy

there is no problem to big or small that can't be fixed with brute strength and ignorance visit my gallery

prreid Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2012Tue 12-Feb-13 01:01 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: what size and speed SD card"
In response to Reply # 0

Naples, US

There a lots of choices to make, but, first I would answer a few simple questions: What do I expect to be shooting? If your're rarely doing landscapes vs. video and/or sporting events, then you want an SD card with a high rate of image transfer (e.g. 45 Mb/sec or more). How many shots on a photo shoot will I likely make? If you are doing casual shooting, then a 4 gig card may be enough BUT if you are on a "big" outing with lots of stuff to shoot, perhaps using a 16, 32 or 64 gig card could be a wiser choice.

HOWEVER (and there always is), cost becomes a (big) factor. I keep 16 gig cards (SanDisk Extreme) with a rate of 45 Mb/sec in my D7K and they come at a Costco price of ~$28.00/card (and I have several). I rarely shoot video, sometimes high-speed frames/sec and this card seems to work fine. Furthermore, if you go with a card like this, you might find it much more affordable to have multiple cards to change out as needed.

I wish you good decision-making.

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Tue 12-Feb-13 01:29 PM
1896 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: what size and speed SD card"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Just a small note, not all class 10 cards are created equal.

The Class Rating defines a minimum speed at which the card operates (10mbps) some class 10 cards are much faster.

If you want the most performance you can get, then buy a card that is UHS rated, which I believe the D7000 supports.

Pete

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Thu 14-Feb-13 01:01 AM
963 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: what size and speed SD card"
In response to Reply # 5

New Tampa, US

>
>Interesting, so if I pretend I have a Canon 6D and just use
>one card, the D7000 will write to the card faster?? Therefore
>more pics??

have you drink lately? or just dreaming Canon?

Best regards,
Vlad

EZRDRZ Registered since 20th Jan 2013Fri 15-Feb-13 09:42 PM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: what size and speed SD card"
In response to Reply # 2

GB

Tend to agree with this...I 'm running a cheep as anything 16Gig for stills and a 2Gig in back up mode for film...although I dont think I have even had the camera on film mode in the nearly two months I've had it. But I really cant see any benifit coming from a more expensive card. Unless I got a 'lucky choice' in my cheapo card, it's write speed is perfecto. A LOT quicker certainly than my first ever '1 Gig' card...the old Microdrive

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 16-Feb-13 08:35 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: what size and speed SD card"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

My own experience suggests that it makes less difference than the speed ratings suggest. Shooting RAW, I never remember a time during a 500-1000 shot event where the camera was limited by write speed. And I do not buy by speed but by price and capacity. I prefer 4 gig for the D7000, but sometimes use 8 gig. I am not comfortable risking more files than that on a card which do fail occasionally. I do have a couple 32 gig cards but would never put more than a couple hundred images on one.
I have just begun shooting video with the D7000 and D800 and most takes are in the 30 sec to 3 minute on a two camera shoot. RAW files eat up card space faster than video on 720 res which is what I have been doing for web based presentations. I never cared about video but I've had fun, and learning Adobe Premiere Pro has been a pleasant experience. Mostly, I like the structure of it, pre-planning is everything in a scripted shoot. Post processing video is sure less demanding on a computer than RAW D800 files.
I look for Class 10 cards but as Pete said, they vary in actual throughput and even the slowest are good enough for my shooting. Even my least expensive cards can handle anything I have used them on. Bear in mind that I shoot single frames, almost never in bursts, often with flash which is also never overrun in recycle period either(but I purposely do not allow full dumps).
All cards fail eventually, and my luck with no-name cards has been no worse than expensive cards I have. Much of the price of higher priced cards is surely promotion and higher margins so I leave them to those who think brand names in commodity items means something. I don't.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

torwood Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2010Sat 16-Feb-13 04:10 PM
657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: what size and speed SD card"
In response to Reply # 11

Jefferson Hills, US

I shoot sports at 6FPS, JPEG. Sometimes I will shoot a 5-10 shot burst, but most of my bursts are between 3-5 shots. I use (2) Sandisk Extreme 30MB/Sec, 8GB. At Fine Large JPEG, that gives me capacity for a little over 1,000 images. I download after almost every shoot, which ranges between 250-400 images, so the capacity is never an issue. Might I like a 16GB card, maybe, though I've never filled both cards, but, I didn't want to spend the extra money. For me, this setup is fast, high quality, and economical.

I've never waited for the buffer to clear that I can remember, so these cards are fast enough, at least for JPEG burst shooting. I also format my cards after every download, and rotate them between slots (since I often only use the slot 1 card for a shoot), so that they "wear" evenly. This may be unnecessary, but it's my little neurosis.

EZRDRZ Registered since 20th Jan 2013Wed 20-Feb-13 02:35 PM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: what size and speed SD card"
In response to Reply # 12

GB

@ #12,That sounds like usefull guidance. Thanks. I'm using a cheep 16Gig and I must say it seems way more than I need in terms of capacity.
Regards.

EZRDRZ Registered since 20th Jan 2013Mon 25-Feb-13 10:19 AM
#14. "RE: what size and speed SD card"
In response to Reply # 13

GB

As an updated I spotted a good deal on a Sandisk Ultra card and thought I'd do the upgrade. I must say it seems to have made the camera a lot quicker really -in processing and general. Its the 30Mb/s card. I wouldn't know if its the best or not but it certainly seems goo to me. So thats a thunbs up.

Pugzilla Gold Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2008Mon 04-Mar-13 02:25 AM
188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: what size and speed SD card"
In response to Reply # 11

Boca Raton, US

Stan,

I understand exactly what you are saying, but when the only 2 cards that have ever failed on me were the of the non-Sandisk/Lexar variety (one was a Viking; I forget the other), I buy the what I consider the best and most reliable. I just keep on the lookout for possible Sandisk counterfeits, which certainly are out there (Someplace, I have an article that shows the differences in printing on the counterfeits compared to the real ones).

Currently, I use a Sandisk Extreme Pro 32 GB 95MB/sec SDHC as primary and a similar speed and rating SanDisk16 GB as secondary. Overkill? Probably, but better than underkill. I have no qualms going to 45MB/sec cards in this camera (D600). 30MB/sec? - maybe on the D600, but I would think not the D800.

Walter

Never criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and have his shoes!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23907 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.