Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23887
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Viewfinder not bright enough" Previous topic | Next topic
Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Sun 10-Feb-13 02:51 PM
294 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Viewfinder not bright enough"

Aventura, US

I shoot without glasses. I find that on sunny days I have difficulty reading the information bar in the viewfinder. What accessory would you recommend to help block out the light?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sun 10-Feb-13 04:08 PM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Viewfinder not bright enough"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 10-Feb-13 04:14 PM by Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US

Look for the thread started by me (Bravozulu) one month ago. The responses list part numbers for 3 Nikon components that will make a nice rubber eyepiece that blocks out all extraneous light. The thread was called "Viewfinder eyecup", and is number 22711.

This costs about $25, and is a tad involved to assemble. If I did it again, I would buy the Hoodman viewfinder accessory. Also mentioned in the thread. It comes fully assembled. Though some guys think the rubber on the Hoodman obscures the LCD screen, so they snip a little off. These are the Nikon part numbers_

a) DK 22 Eyepiece adaptor (for round eyecups)

b) D-3 Eyecup (not the D-19)

c) FE-FM Screw In diopter lens --- to hold a & b together. Available in varying magnifications, so get the 0 add, since the D7000 has a built-in variable diopter on the viewfinder. This threaded part was made to fit the FA-FM2-FE2 cameras.

The dioptor is only to clamp the other two pieces together, not for optical purposes. So get 1 with no magnification.

Your shooting will improve when you can finally see all the info conveyed in the viewfinder. Strange that Nikon didn't address this issue in their design.

Gary Curtis - Santa Monica

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Mon 11-Feb-13 02:08 PM
294 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Viewfinder not bright enough"
In response to Reply # 1

Aventura, US

Thanks for responding. I just ordered a the Hoodman.

I am also thinking about ordering the Hoodman loupe for the LCD.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 11-Feb-13 05:07 PM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Viewfinder not bright enough"
In response to Reply # 2

Los Angeles, US

The Hoodman is probably the convenient route to take. When it arrives, send a note here about your impressions.

I'll tell you one thing about having an eyecup. And, by the way, I shoot with my glasses on.
Now, for the first time, I am able to watch all the small indicators in the viewfinder. There are a lot of them packed in there.

Best of luck.

BeeKay60 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Mar 2009Mon 11-Feb-13 06:37 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Viewfinder not bright enough"
In response to Reply # 3

Roseville, US

Bravozulu -- I have not yet figured out how to shoot with my glasses on. I actually bought a Hoodman eye piece for my D60 and sent it back. With my glasses on I still felt I could not get close enough. It always feels like I am putting too much pressure on my glasses. I take them off, set them down somewhere that I usually do not remember and shoot. After that I have to look for my glasses. I probably should purchase a neck strap! Should I try the Hoodman again?

Betsy
Nikon D7000, D60
Windows 7 Ultimate
Lightroom 5.3
Photoshop CC

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 11-Feb-13 08:15 PM
#5. "RE: Viewfinder not bright enough"
In response to Reply # 4

Los Angeles, US

On the D7000 there is a little wheel controlling the dioptor on the top right side of the Penta Prism, just in from the Viewfinder.

It is easiest to calibrate this with the camera on a tripod. The camera doesn't care if you shoot with or without glasses. Whichever way you choose, stand in bright sunlight and aim the lens at a scene with lots of detail. A bushy hedge would be great.

Touch the shutter button to achieve focus. Look for the green LED light in the viewfinder. Then peep through the viewfinder. Turn the little dioptor wheel. Get out of focus in one direction, then reverse until you are again out of focus.

Repeat, each time counting rotations of the wheel until you see the sharpest image. This will take 5 or 6 repeats until you are sure. Hover around that center best focus point, going in and out until you are comfortable that you have the sharpest image.

I'm 70, and it is too much for me to remove my glasses, so I set the camera to match them. The method I described also works if you prefer not to mash your face and glasses against the viewfinder. Pull back a bit, and set the dioptor wheel to your preference.

Stated simply, autofocus to get the green led in the viewfinder. Then, set the dioptor adjusting wheel to focus the viewfinder image to your eyes.

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Sun 17-Feb-13 09:14 PM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Viewfinder not bright enough"
In response to Reply # 1

Maidenhead, GB

Just a quick question regarding using an eyecup on the D7000 - does the eyecup need to be rotated 90° if you switch the camera to portrait orientation?

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sun 17-Feb-13 10:03 PM
#7. "RE: Viewfinder not bright enough"
In response to Reply # 6

Los Angeles, US

The Hoodman eyecup is shaped like a football. The 'tab' to the right side would land on your forehead in portrait mode and wouldn't be a problem.

The genuine Nikons are a perfect circle.

Owners of the Hoodman complain that the size the eyecup interferes with seeing the LCD screen. Many of them trim the bottom off for better clearance.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23887 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.